12 days in from trapeziectomy

Options
Scampdog
Scampdog Member Posts: 43
edited 31. Aug 2016, 08:28 in Living with Arthritis archive
all lower case sorry as I had my right done and its painful today, so cant reach on keyboard, taking no painkillers at all for last 6 days and before that only at night, I cant take paracetamol or ibuprofen so swelling is a problem, ....I have a half soft half cast on comes off on Friday for I am not sure what ...sleeping a massive problem just cant get comfortable ....although I can move my fingers a good bit they curl over the bandaging and cast keep reminding myself to move them ....cast hurts my thumb at the joint feels like its rubbing, cant wait for Friday, I can feel where they took the tendon as the bandage has become so loose I can see the dressing,,,cant dress properly as the thumb sticks out so much....worst thing for me is I cant do my hair....oh has to cut my food....its hot and sticky at the moment and I have this lolly pop type thing on my hand a ball on a stick ...cant wait to feel air and water on it again...if I could sleep and it was not rubbing I may feel a whole lot better...plus it does get quite tight at times ....still its another day tomoorow

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello Scampdog

Welcome to the forum, I am sure that you will find support, advice, friendship and light relief here.

I am one of the modration team, we all have one or more arthritis 'hanger ons' or look after family with the same.

If you need help with the technicalities of the forum just get in touch via a personal message.

ChrisK Mod.
  • Megrose2
    Megrose2 Member Posts: 331
    Options
    Hi Scamp. I've just joined the trapeziectomy club myself - five days ago, left hand. I sympathise with the problems with your cast. I had to go to A&E on Friday as mine was so tight and they had to cut it off, with great difficulty! The replacement is better, but still awkward. I'm hoping to see the main hand surgeon tomorrow who may replace it with soft dressings. I know he prefers these, but, unfortunately, he didn't do the surgery! Mine gets tight too, particularly in the morning. I try to keep it elevated and prop it up on cushions when I'm sitting.

I bought a Limbo for my arm, which has been great as it means I can actually have a bath/shower and wash my hair.

Hang on in there, we'll get through it! Do let me know how you get on!

Meg
  • Richmcfinn
    Richmcfinn Member Posts: 17
    Options
    Hi I had a similar procedure removal of a bone from my wrist and half a tendon from my arm used to fill the gap and hold things together. I had a half a cast and bandage (very neatly done) to allow for swelling for 12 days and then a full cast up to my elbow for another five weeks.

My hand and arm felt super sensitive and I had all sorts of intense sensations -some of which were not actually real! I'm not saying I imagined them because they were definitely there -I believe that the nerve functions were all over the place from the physical trauma of the surgery and from the after effects of the vast amounts of nerve blocking chemicals they used on the poor thing!

I soon grew to hate the cast. At certain times of the day my hand/arm would start to swell especially on hot evenings and it would feel horribly tight. Because of the super sensitivity it felt much tighter than it really was and four days in I went to the hospital where they cut the cast off and put on another. Well it was just as tight and I felt such a fool! but now I knew that it was just another sensation and there was no need to worry.

Next drama was two weeks before the cast was due to come off. This time it felt like my stitches had come apart and the wounds were grinding against the inside of the cast. They took it off and yes you guessed nothing wrong. New cast went on and I felt pretty much ok for the last two weeks. You cant imagine how glad I was to get rid of the stinky thing when it finally came off.

So be ready for those sensations and try not to panic if you get them. Elevation is so important as it really does help to minimise that awful swelling. Good luck!
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Thanks for all the info, I am down for a trapeziectomy ..when I make up my mind..all the injections worked for a while but no more I am afraid..I am hoping this thumb will fuse itself and I dont have to have it.. :o I do wish you a good recover , and please carry on updating us..
    Love
    Barbara
  • Scampdog
    Scampdog Member Posts: 43
    Options
    Megrose2 wrote:
    Hi Scamp. I've just joined the trapeziectomy club myself - five days ago, left hand. I sympathise with the problems with your cast. I had to go to A&E on Friday as mine was so tight and they had to cut it off, with great difficulty! The replacement is better, but still awkward. I'm hoping to see the main hand surgeon tomorrow who may replace it with soft dressings. I know he prefers these, but, unfortunately, he didn't do the surgery! Mine gets tight too, particularly in the morning. I try to keep it elevated and prop it up on cushions when I'm sitting.

I bought a Limbo for my arm, which has been great as it means I can actually have a bath/shower and wash my hair.

Hang on in there, we'll get through it! Do let me know how you get on!

Meg
    hello,
    still no capitals sorry, what on earth is a limbo ? sounds intriguing .....tried getting in the bath but felt like a stranded whale as I have had so many foot ops my right foot is really numb so all on the right hand and foot lol....so hard to feel anything but I did it with great difficulty....
    cast is really hurting my thumb joints now, but I have two more days to go so determinded to hold on, if I am honest the rubbing of the cast and the tightness is the worst part, for the first time in a while I slept last night bliss.....
  • Megrose2
    Megrose2 Member Posts: 331
    Options
    I agree about the tightness and the rubbing - very uncomfortable. A Limbo is, in effect, a waterproof bag with a seal so you can have a bath or shower without getting the cast wet. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to put a link, but if you google Limbo products you should find it OK.

Of course, you probably won't need it now! Hope all goes well on Friday. I'm counting the days to next Tuesday when I next see my consultant!

Meg