Mobility scooter and car question

bertyboy
bertyboy Member Posts: 1,860
edited 1. Oct 2016, 13:40 in Community Chit-chat archive
Evening all , i have just acquired a second hand heavy moby scooter mainly to get me further with out being to achy when i get home , now it will fit in the car but is rather heavy as its an all terrain one and does not fold up like the lighter ones , do any of you use car ramps ,the back of our car is quite high so needs a long ramp i believe
I know i am a lady ,all life is a journey xx MAY xx

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I can't really help, bertyboy, but I'm deeply envious. I've always fancied an all-terrain scooter. In fact, my friend, with MD, and I used to drool over pictures on the net.

As for ramps - yes, the higher the boot the longer the ramps would need to be. I think if you go to the Motability website, they have a list of garages that can put in adaptions to cars. I used to have a pull on / push off handbrake and an adaption to the pedals and my garage was brilliant with them.

Please keep us updated.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    I have a lightweight folding scooter, I bought it just after being awarded high rate mobility PIP and had ordered my car. The scooter salesman suggested I ask to have a hoist fitted as if I had it done when I bought the car it would be much cheaper, it's made using my scooter much easier and was cheaper, £145 instead of just under a grand. Just something for you to be aware of, as it may work out cheaper for you to buy a portable ramp. Do you have a mobility store near you where you can get advice?

Good luck and enjoy your scooter, mine has made a huge difference to me.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • bertyboy
    Thanks for the reply's Sticky and Slosh , i have not used it yet but its now got its own home build shelter and i have named it Madgymobby x
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hello berty
    I am with slosh , the hoist would be much better for you, the ramps have to be heavy to take the scooter, then you have those to fold and put in the car..I have seen the hoist working and they are brilliant..good luck let us know how you get on
    Love
    Barbara
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    It may be worth checking the weight of the machine, the weight of the extras that will have to be fitted and whether your car can cope with the extra strain on its chassis and engine. I think ordinary saloons can cope with lightweight equipment but, looking at cars which have such adaptations they are all of a kind, i.e. pretty large, heavy and robust, not Ford Kas or Nissan Micras. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    My car is a Ford Fiesta there is only one hoist that fits and the maximum weight is 40kg. Before it was fitted I had to give details of the weight of my scooter.

It is really good though and great to use, and as a gadget it's amazing how it immediately draws the attention of any men who are nearby!
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,458
    I have seen some small ones that disassemble to put in the back of a car. I like the all terrain idea! There was a fun test of these machines on Top Gear, assisted by disabled ex-services, I expect you could find a video of it on the BBC web page, the results weren't brilliant. You don't want to get stuck halfway through a trek.

I looked quite long and hard at what is available, the petrol quads having the best ability to cover distances at a reasonable cost, for now I'll stick to my motorbike which is easier to park than a car. Not much use having a blue badge if you can't park or a bus pass if walking is a problem, the world is built for people who can.
  • bertyboy
    Well we now have ramps to get Madge into the car , will give this a go tomorrow , but i will say how shocked we became from going to a couple of mobility shops in the price of the ramps . After looking on line we found some so much cheaper ask all the relevant questions , length needed ,weight , and if sold as a pair as one would be no use , one shop was selling singles rip of merchant comes to mind with that one . I am luck that i have a man to do the heavy bit of getting it in and out of the car but it would be doable for me to i think with a few choice word added maybe . I can now get out and go further on our walks round the reserves for photos , anybody want info of the seller please feel free to ask .
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Well done May :D

I think you did well there! I bet you are really chuffed.

Here's to many happy hours motoring and getting out and about on your treks at reserves.

Love

Toni xxx
  • bertyboy
    Well got out this morning to a local reserve wasn't much about other than cows on the river high bank but never mind at least i know it works well .