Shout out to a fab doctor!

Options
Rach101
Rach101 Member Posts: 165
edited 3. Sep 2016, 15:31 in Living with Arthritis archive
I have had very bad experiences with doctors in the past so I get very nervous when I have to go for an appointment. I went today armed with my postcard (thanks for the tip) with my questions on it as I've now been discharged from rheumatology at the hospital. I had to see a different doctor to the one I have seen before but she was amazing!

We caught up on the rheumatology appointment and before I could start asking her my questions she said that we need a plan to aid my recovery. She has now referred me for Physio, hydrotherapy and ultrasound treatment to reduce the swelling directly. She has prescribed a topical anti-inflammatory as I've tried Naproxen and Diclofenac but neither ease the pain when it is bad. She arranged for some blood tests as she still wants to monitor my inflammation levels as they've been erratic. Basically, she's done everything she can to help. She says its reactive arthritis (as first thought) and I should largely recover within another 6-8 weeks and for the first time I think I'm starting to believe her!

Oh and I asked her if my joint pain and swelling could be due to a tick I had 18 months ago and she took me seriously and said they'd check for Lyme disease when doing the blood tests.

It was such a relief to be taken seriously and not have to fight my corner!

Rach xx

Comments

• Megrose2
    Megrose2 Member Posts: 331
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Very pleased that it went so well, Rach. It sounds as though she was very thorough. I hope you don't have to wait too long for the physio treatment etc.

Meg
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    Options
    Wonderful news Rach101 keep us updated. It is wonderful to have had a good appointment.
    Best Wishes
    Sharon
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    Options
    I'm glad you had a good appointment and are getting physio etc. That should help a lot.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Hi Rach

So pleased to hear that you had a very positive appointment with this new doctor.

If possible it would be great if you could spare the time to send this doctor or via her secretary an email praising her and how pleased you were with how you were treated at the appointment.

It is very useful for doctors to receive good, written reports from patients and it really helps them get on in their profession.

She sounds a gem. :)

Just a thought. ;):)

Elna
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • Rach101
    Rach101 Member Posts: 165
    Options
    Hi Elna

Thanks for the suggestion, I will definitely do that. I do usually give positive feedback when I receive good service but would never have thought of doing so for a doctor so I'm glad you mentioned it.

Thanks

Rachel
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    Your very lucky to find a Doctor you feel relaxed with, that is very rare, good luck with the results.
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Hi Rach

I sent an email to one of the doctors at my surgery a good year or so ago as I was most impressed with how she listened to me and on discussing various options she was willing to refer me and wrote a most thorough referral letter. I know this as the surgeon concerned commented to me on the excellent information she had sent him. I was most surprised to receive a thank you letter from this doctor some time later as I never expected to hear from her.

I have also twice emailed my own doctor via his secretary when I have been impressed by his efficiency.

Elna
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.