Hi..new member

5hellsbells
5hellsbells Member Posts: 49
edited 12. Sep 2016, 10:08 in Say Hello Archive
Hi..

Im Shelly..just turned 40 in July..and had it confirmed in Friday that i have RA..

I dont know much more than that...i was given a steroid injection (helped my foot immensley on 1st few days..but i can feel it twinging today)

Ive been prescribed Hydroxychloriquine and Naproxen which i started taking yesterday..

Ive been sick today (1st time id taken both meds.. 2nd time just the naproxen...waiting to take hydro. In a while, hoping the indegeation will stop 1st) and im feeling a bit overwhelmed..so i thought id pop in here and say hi as looking through the forums earlier..you look like a friendly helpful bunch.

Shelly
X

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Welcome to Arthritis Care Forums, 5hellsbells, from the moderation team.

I am sorry to hear about your diagnosis of RA. I know quite a few members on here take hydroxychloroquine. It is often one of the first disease modifying anti-rheumatic drugs. I am sure someone will be able to relate their experience with it to you soon.

In the meantime you might want to take a look at this;

https://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/managing-arthritis/drugs

As moderators we are here to help with any problems you may have using the message boards so feel free to send us a message if you need to.

Please do join in wherever you like, you will be made very welcome.

I look forward to seeing you posting on the boards.

Best wishes

Ellen
  • 5hellsbells
    Thank you Ellen x
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Hi there, Shelly and welcome from me, too :) That's a great username :D

Getting used to a diagnosis is difficult. Getting used to the meds is also difficult. When the meds seem to create more problems that's ****** difficult, isn't it :lol:

The steroid injection first. They don't work for everyone but, even when they do, they have a limited life as you've discovered. How limited it is varies from person to person and even jab to jab but I reckon around two months is average for me.

As for hydroxychloroquine and naproxen – both can cause nausea. Frankly, if you read the meds' leaflets, I doubt there any med produced that doesn't list it among potential side effects. I'm pretty sure I've read of anti-nausea meds causing it too :o The most likely culprit is the naproxen. It's a Non Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drug (NSAID) and they are notorious stomach upsetters. In fact, your doc should really have prescribed a stomach-protecting med with it. Omeprazole or lansoprazole are the usual ones. If you don't have one of these do go to your GP asap and ask for one. The hydroxy is a DMARD (Disease Modifying Anti-Rheumatic Drug) and that's the one that should help to keep the RA at bay though it can take 8-10 weeks to kick in properly. Not many get side-effects with hydroxy but it can happen. I've taken it with methotrexate for years without hassle.

I'd suggest, in addition to the stomach-protector, you always take them with food as it just gives the stomach something to work on and makes the nausea less likely. It doesn't have to be much – a piece of fruit or plain biscuit are my usual ones. And a reasonable amount of water, tea, milk etc. (I have been known, on extremely rare occasions, to wash mine down with wine or whisky :oops: but I don't recommend it so we'll draw a swift veil over that one :lol: )

I hope things will soon settle down for you. It's a steep learning curve but we've all done it and survived and will be here to help.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Hello Shelly!

Welcome to the forums from me. I am so glad you've found us. Information is key to feeling under control again and it helps to chat to those who know. Saves family and friends from listening to us moaning too much too :wink: Have a look round the other forums and join in anywhere :)

I had the same thought as Stickywicket there. Have you been prescribed a PPI, (Proton pump inhibitor), medication? They reduce the amount of acid in your stomach and can protect the stomach from damage caused by Non-steroid anti-inflammatories like naproxen. I take lansoprazole myself, but there are others available.

In the end I was prescribed a COX2 inhibitor instead, arcoxia as I had the runs far too much :(

When I first took hydroxy' I had terrible stomach churning, but was also without much appetite at the time as I felt so rough. I took it in the middle of a sandwich in the end - halfway through it I mean, not hidden in it!!

I hope you soon start to feel a bit better.

Love

Toni xxx
  • 5hellsbells
    Thanks everyone.

Just back from Docs.. hes taken me off Naproxen just now and given me Omeparzole and co codamol.(i havent taken that yet though as ill.be driving in a wee while to get the kids) and ive to.go back to see him on monday.

He thinks the steroid injection has probably worked, but that my foot has maybe flared up and its more than it can mask..so will see what happens if it gets worse (bareable just now)

He also said he doesnt think my emotions are anything to do with the meds..just me getting my head round everytbing..

I also asked about the horror stories id seen about alcohol/citrus fruit/coffee... he said its like any other medicines...most things in moderation are fine..i can have orange juice..couple beers on a friday night...or even a wine for breakfast! Lol

Feeling a bit more positive...just need to see how i get on with this co codamol later xx
  • stickywicket
    That all makes perfect sense and it sounds as if you have a good doc.

The naproxen did sound like the likeliest culprit to me. Your doc may put you back on it once the omeprazole has started to do its work but the cocodamol he has given you is much less likely to cause stomach problems as it's a pain killer rather than an anti-inflammatory. I sometimes take a couple at night if things are twanging. Mine are the mildest ones (8/500) but they also come in higher doses of codeine. At that dose mine don't make me sleepy even if I have to take some during the day but they can do if you're taking them regularly / on a higher dose.

It's all a lot to get your head round but I'm sure, gradually, you'll get used to it, the meds will work and life will seem a lot simpler.

As regards the horror stories – stick to trustworthy sites and you'll be fine. This one, Arthritis Research UK and NHS Choices are reliable. As regards the wine for breakfast – My doc's never offered that. Does it come on prescription :lol:
    Steven Wright
  • 5hellsbells
    Yeah..he did say he may put me back on Naproxen on Monday..tho maybe a lower dose.

Ill see how my foot is after tea..if its still a bit sore i might try the co codamol to see how i get on (its the lowest 1 too) if worse comes to worst..just need to come home from work (i live just round the corner)

My Dr has been great. Quite surprising as hes usually quite abrupt.. ill ask him for a breakfast wine prescription for us all! Lol
  • 5hellsbells
    Sorry.. another question..is Omeprazole classed as an antacid? Do i have to wait 4 hours after the hydroxy to take it??

Shelly
    X
  • stickywicket
    No problem re the question. That's what we're here for.

It's what's called a Proton Pump Inhibitor. It does counteract acid but not in the same way as the usual over-the-counter ones.

I keep mine at the side of the bed with a glass of water. I have it as soon as I wake up and then, by the time I'm up, washed, dressed and have got breakfast ready, about an hour has passed and I can then take my other meds with breakfast and with my stomach protected.

I have, in the past, been prescribed regular antacids and found it almost impossible to juggle the time requirements of each med. By comparison, omep is easy :D
    Steven Wright
  • 5hellsbells
    Phew...thanks..

I knew i wasnt supposed to take the antacid with hydroxy..but didbnt think about omep and took ot pretty much at same time!!

Ill take em seperarely now. Thanks again xx
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Shelly you sound way more upbeat I am pleased :)

Omeprazole is one of the PPIs I mentioned sadly won't get a payout on them though ;)

I thought antacids were more things like rennies, but I do give time between and take my hydroxyl 4 hours afterwards anyway as I take the lansoprazole (my PPI) like stickywicket does first thing.

I don't know what strength cocos you have, but they can be 8s 16s or 30s. Each with 500 of paracetamol.

I found they took some building up to for me and took the 30s at bedtime at first so I didn't need to be responsible!!

Hope the foot is ok.

Love

Toni xxx

PS I think you're doing great :)