Dratted Gnat!

GraceB
GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
edited 16. Sep 2016, 04:26 in Community Chit-chat archive
Sunday night there I was passing the time of day with my lovely neighbour Maureen and felt something nip my leg. Suspecting this was a bite, I used good old fashioned soap and water followed by antihistamine cream.

Yesterday said area on my leg was starting to look red.

Today? Well I have to say it's been spectacular! :o From mid-way down my shin to half-way down my foot my right leg is swollen, bright red, swollen and hot. And when I say hot I mean :too-hot:

So this afternoon off I went to the Urgent Care GP (system here so you avoid going to A&E when your GP can't see you but you need medical assistance). Brilliant system even though it was first time I've used it.

Saw a Doctor at one of the participating surgeries. When she assessed my leg she estimated the area of inflammation was at least 10cm long and it was nearly all the way around my leg. (It has since met around the back of my calf). She took my temperature and then made the fatal mistake of asking about my general health and medications. I gave her the list. :roll:

I'm now on 500mg flucloxacillin antibiotics 4 times a day. Since I saw the GP the redness has spread but I know the antibiotics need 24 hours to work. I've had two tablets and will have another 2 before I go to bed. The pharmacist said to do this when he saw the state of my leg.

I hope that tomorrow my leg is back to normal, but had to react to this as I've had allergic reactions and infections from insect bites before and this is my right leg (my current TKR leg), so I have to be mindful of infection risk re the TKR. I've spent the night with my feet up, ice packs against the area. Lets hope tomorrow morning a miracle has happened as if not, I'll be queuing at my GP surgery at 7.45am so I can get an appointment.

I don't recommend this at all. And if I see that flaming gnat (or whatever it was that had the barefaced temerity to bite me) it'll get swatted!

GraceB
Turn a negative into a positive!

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,336
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    OMG Grace!!

That sounds nasty you poor thing. I hope really hope the antibiotics have got on top of it by the morning.

Having said that keep an eye on it and take your temp yourself if you can. There's always 111 to ring isn't there?

100% agree that the docs first thing in the morning if it's no better. When my ex had cellulitis (not the same I know) they drew a pen line round the edge so they could accurately assess improvement/deterioration.

Get well soon

Love

Toni xxx
  • Megrose2
    Megrose2 Member Posts: 331
    Sounds awful, Grace. I do hope that the antibiotics have worked, if not, good luck at the GP's.

A couple of years ago, I developed cellulitis in my arm after a flu injection. I kept an eye on the spreading infection by taking photos of it on my phone and then was able to show the GP.

Meg
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    It seems to be the bite season. It's the soft, tender bit inside my elbow that they go for.

That sounds nasty, Grace, and you're right to be concerned about the implant. I've had the biro treatment 2-3 times for cellulitis and once when they suspected an infection on a cannula site. Fluclox should work but 24 hours might be a bit optimistic.As you seem to have had a bad reaction, though, don't take chances.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Oh Grace this is awful..some of these insect bites do turn septic, nasty things they are...I do hope the ABs get on top of it...I am another that gets bitten by everything out there..let us know how you get on..x
    Love
    Barbara
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    How nasty for you Grace. I wonder if it was something other than a gnat that was the culprit? Horseflies have been a real problem this year in my part of the world and their bites are always more of a problem because of the way they get at your blood which makes infection more likely. A friend who rarely has any reaction to bites got a beaut a couple of weeks ago from said insect which took quite a while to clear up.
  • GraceB
    Thanks for taking the time to reply - very much appreciated.

Saw GP today. My surgery had already had the report from the Urgent Care GP - very impressive! I've been given a prescription for penicillin and instructions are that if it's not looking better tomorrow I'm to fill this and start the penicillin.

My ankle is still very swollen. GP said this was due to the inflammation, infection and gravity! At the moment the redness and swelling has gone further along my foot so somehow I suspect I'll be filling that prescription!

The GP I saw today recommended cold compresses - soak a flannel in cold water and put that on the most intense area where the bite is and where the itching is worst.

Could have done last night without having to get my cat Tara to the emergency vet (£114 that cost me)! She came in minus her collar (cat flap is magnet operated one, hence the need for a collar). She was extremely stressed, completely wild, howling, yowling and screaming the place down. I had to throw a towel over her in the second bedroom in the end and put her in the cat carrier. Never seen her like that before.

Vet was good. We suspect she either got her collar caught and panicked before the safety catch on it released, or the cat two doors away who regularly has a "go" at her had a pop. Whatever the cause, the vet found scratches in Tara's ears, her spine was sore between her shoulders and waist area and she had some broken claws. By the time I got her back from the vets (this was 10.30pm) she'd calmed down although was extremely annoyed at the trip to the vet. She had an antibiotic jab in case there was a bite although we couldn't find one; and a painkilling jab for the back which had anti-inflammatory in it.

Tara has been fine today although jumpy and there's now a curfew in place - once it's dark she's no longer allowed out. So both of us are in the wars!

(I found the collar in the garden this morning under the camellia bush. Earth was all scuffed up so that's obviously the "scene of the crime". I've thrown the collar away but kept the magnet as they're expensive).

GraceB
  • frogmorton
    Oh gosh Grace poor pusskin!!

That really sounds like a fight during which she lost her collar. The poor little thing. You did right to take her to the vet's though I think. I would have done the same. At the very least you got rid of her soreness and at bets prevented a potential infection.

Both have you have been in the wars haven't you? I hope today that the leg is feeling a little better? I hope the cooling compresses at least made it feel better.

I expect, however that you have cashed in your prescription?

Love

Toni xxxx
  • GraceB
    Thanks Toni.

My leg is still red and swollen but a tiny bit better than yesterday. I've got to collect my standard meds tomorrow so will take the penicillin script with me and fill it just in case. My ankle is still swelling and the area around the bite is still very angry, inflamed, itching and hot.

The heat today hasn't helped my ankle and whilst watching the show (which was very good), I took my foot out of my Croc, saw the imprint from this so quickly put it back on.

The compresses do help, but it's not possible to constantly have a cold compress against the area. Think I'll have to get some repellent spray as I don't fancy doing this again!

Grace
  • frogmorton
    I think repellant spray is a very good idea Grace.

Sounds like it's not getting better very quickly.....I am pleased to hear you will 'cash' the penicillin prescription in :)

Glad the show was good at least!

Love

Toni xxx