BBC loses GB Bake Off

daffy2
daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
edited 23. Sep 2016, 02:52 in Community Chit-chat archive
Apparently the BBC has decided that the production company is asking too much for the next series, and so it will move to a commercial channel after the current run. I don't watch it but even so I can't quite see how that will work out. Apart from anything else the ad breaks will take about 15 mins out of the running time of an hour's programme, and then there's the talk of 'developing' the show...

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Oh dear one of my husband and youngest daughter Lucy's favourite programmes :(

They will have to show us less of the baking to make room for adverts :roll:
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    I love the bake off ,what a shame it will not be the same with all the breaks.. :roll:
    Love
    Barbara
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    The programme's recorded and edited anyway so just a bit more editing will account for the ad breaks. Or a longer programme with less editing. If you think, in one hour, they start with 12(?) contestants and end with 3? 4? 5?

I guess they could 'develop' it in loads of different ways – an extra item to be baked, things that take longer to prepare and bake, sticking in some baking lesson in the middle.

Probably nothing extra as the contestants all have to get home to their proper jobs after the weekend so I guess 'filler' will be the order of the day.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Mel and Sue have said they won't be moving with the programme and in their statement didn't sound very happy about the move. Won't be the same without them, just need to see what Mary and Paul decide. Seems as though it's about the greed of the production company so it will serve them right if it's a flop.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,458
    £25m could prove to be an expensive tent for channel 4?

Why oh why don't tv people realise why we watch BBC and not their advert laden, overcooked programs? (pun intended!)

:cheers:
  • Slosh
    I totally agree with you, it seems one mistake made by the production company was not talking to the presenters who are so important to the show. Apparently Jamie Oliver is being considered as a possible presenter. I like him but don't see how it fits with his anti-sugar/ healthy eating focus and he wouldn't make me want to watch it.

Think it could definitely fail to rise.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I won't be watching any more. It's natural home is the Beeb and surely it's time for a major rethinking about how the Corporation is funded. People happily pay a fortune to Sky and others but complain about the very cheap license fee.

I dread the day the BBC loses Wimbledon. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    We won't be watching either.
  • Slosh
    Nor me, it just won't be the same without the same four presenters, they are part of why the show is so popular.
    Julian of Norwich
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Well, I am not surprised on two counts: one, that Mary won't be 'following the dough' and two, that Hollywood is. There could be soggy bottoms galore thanks to the addy breaks, no matter how careful the editing. :wink: DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Megrose2
    Megrose2 Member Posts: 331
    I wasn't surprised about the Berry/Hollywood split either, DD. I won't be watching Bakeoff on Channel 4 and I share your anxiety about the BBC losing Wimbledon.

Meg