Hoping to get lll health retirement

slomo
slomo Member Posts: 180
edited 22. Sep 2016, 12:40 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi all, thanks for the birthday wishes yesterday and for the pension advice link. When I went back to work in January after 3 months off sick, I was sure everything would be OK and I'd manage my 3 day week with no issues to speak of. It worked to a certain extent but it was the cumulative effect that I hadn't really got to grips with. By June despite having carefully placed holidays I was having doubts about my ability to keep going for any length of time. Had hols in July and just one week back at work and eldest son fell and fractured his skull. Panic drive to Glasgow to see him and DIL and also youngest son who spent several days going to work and then visiting hospital afterwards. (The new QEUH in Glasgow is huge and I had to give in and use a wheelchair to get to the ward.)
Anyway it really knocked the stuffing out of me, as the saying goes, and seeing how my husband recovered from the shock and journey etc made me realise just how not like a healthy person I am now, and how low my energy levels were already. Also made me realise that all I do is work and recover from work and not much else.
I've only got two years left now till I'm 65. I've started the ill health retirement process and have an OH appt early October. Hope work agrees to let me go as if it wasn't for my health I'd have stayed to 65.
Numpty son is now recuperating at home and hopes to get back to work in October. He just slipped and fell and fractured the back of his skull and had bruising on the brain - he was so very lucky it wasn't much worse.
So that's a quick update of how things are going just now, hope you guys are all doing OK, all the best to everyone slomo

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Oh Slomo, what a shock for you and for your son. Sadly accidents happen, that's part and parcel of the human condition but I understand that these events throw our 'failings' into high relief.

I count myself fortunate in that I was self-employed so could tailor things to suit me. I apologise for not being able to help further but I do wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Gosh you poor thing!! I am so glad to hear your son is ok now, but how scary!!

As for taking early retirement I hope you will be able to get a good pension? Having put in a fair few years?

It sounds to me as though you are being very wise and sensible here and I wish you the very best of luck.

Do keep us in the loop.

Love

Toni xxx
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    I hope it goes well for you, slomo. You've done your best to keep going and can do no more. Te shock of your son's accident wouldn't help at all. It can be very scary when we're suddenly confronted by how fragile our lives really are and how much hangs by how little. I'm pleased things are going better for him now.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    My PsA began two years after I started my little business. It was when I had to take time off to recover from operations that I would realise just how much things had deteriorated - when you are in the middle of things you don't necessarily notice because you just keep adjusting - downwards. :wink:

I know exactly what you mean about life seeming to consist of being at work and then recovering from work so yes, it may be time to start thinking about making one of the biggest changes life offers. I still feel greatly relieved (especially on my grottier days) that I do not have to face that daily challenge any longer and I am sure that has helped my health. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • slomo
    slomo Member Posts: 180
    Thanks for all the encouraging comments folks. Personnel department told me they've known it take 3 months for some cases to be finalised, hope I don't have to wait that long, feel a bit in limbo. OccH see me and then request reports from my GP and from my vasculitis consultant and they then consider everything and put their comments to my employer. GP and consultant are on board with doing the report. Consultant says I must do what I feel is best for me and GP says not so long ago a woman my age would have already retired. I think he's going to be OK with extending my sick line until this is over. ( Seems a bit contradictory to go back to work while waiting to get ill health retirement!)
    Won't be a huge pension as a bit less than 20years but we've seen the forecast and can work with it.
    DD, I know what you mean about not working improving your health, I think it's the fact I was off work last year that's helped me go from 60mg pred to 7mg without any blips. I'm now sticking at 7 until things are more settled.
    Hope you're all doing OK - am just going back to the energy thread now, had to give up reading it as I couldn't see it properly for laughing ☺
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Oh slomo that is an awful shock for you all, I am glad to hear your son is recovering well..and I am glad things have come to an head for you and ..good for you making this decision and I do wish you well with it..good luck..x
    Love
    Barbara