Pre op assessment

nearlybionic
nearlybionic Member Posts: 1,899
edited 24. Sep 2016, 06:50 in Living with Arthritis archive
HI
The hospital just rang. My pre op assessment is on Tuesday at 9 am. And then I go in for the op the following Tuesday at 8am.
I am so nervous! Pocket duties please!!
Mr NB is sorting his work so he can take me, which I am glad of.
It has gotten real all of a sudden!
Thanks
NB

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi NB
    the moderator team will be there to support you, hope you have a big pocket. Meanwhile it is natural to be nervous, sometimes keeping yorself distracted can help a bit, maybe think about what you need to organise for when you get back and also pack some treats to take with you like a few magazines and some nice toiletries or some soothing music.
    We will be here for you
    Best Wishes
    Sharon
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    I hope it all goes very well, NB. Please forgive me if I go awol just as you are really needing support but we shall be moving soon afterwards.

I've never found pre-ops to be remotely painful – other than trying to remember significant medical history :roll: – but it's a good place to ask any questions you might have so, if anything comes to mind in the interim, just make a note of it.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    We think these things are ages and ages away and then, suddenly, they're not. :o

I can't do next Tuesday but should be fine for the week after. Pre-ops are useful appointments for raising any concerns that you may have, I always found them reassuring and, in light of today's news, I hope that your op proceeds as planned. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • nearlybionic
    Hi
    Thanks Sharon.Sticky & DD
    I know the pre op itself is just a check up of sorts. Nothing to worry about really. I think because I have not had any letters or anything yet, and only found out my op date because I rang the sec, it now feels real. I kept thinking they would put it off , and that was why I hadn`t had a letter or pre op.
    ( I had one bad op experience when I was going for my hysterectomy, and I was all clerked in and in my gown and TEDS when the op was cancelled due to an emergency, so I never take anything as concrete.)
    I have started to look at what I will take in with me and what I need. It will help me keep occupied with the party planning!
    Take care
    NB
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Aww NB its so scary when suddenly its looming..but the sooner the better then you can be up and about without that awful pain..count me in for pocket duties..x
    Love
    Barbara
  • nearlybionic
    Hi Barbara
    Thanks. I will be going into the hospital near you. I am not very familiar with it although I know it is a big building. I hope we can find the ward easily for pre op!!
    Today is my daughter`s birthday so we are meeting her later to take her out for a meal before she parties with her uni friends. I am looking forward to seeing her but it is the first time I will have been out of the house since Monday-so I had better get dressed today :lol:
    Happy Friday everyone!
    NB
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Good luck with it all NB,will be with you. Mig
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Hi NB
    I'll be there.......it is frightening isn't it? Not the pre-assess but the fact that it is so close.
    I got a letter yesterday saying my pre-assess will be Nov 2nd but the TKR not until the 18th Nov so that's a bit of a break between the two.
    It has occurred to me about theses strikes so that's something else to worry about
    Oh well never mind me
    I'll be there for your pocket duties
    Love
    Hileena
  • nearlybionic
    Hi
    Thanks Mig and Hileena
    I agree Hileena- the doctor`s strike worries me too. I fully support them but hope it doesn`t affect me!
    I have been reading the neurosurgery ward`s online page and the surgery leaflets there. It has helped in some ways but I still have lots of questions at pre op.
    Hope you all have a good weekend x
    NB