I've nearly bought a scooter.

dreamdaisy
dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
edited 1. Oct 2016, 03:11 in Living with Arthritis archive
I went to my local disability store today to replace my car crutches: I lost one (I have no idea how!) but I like to keep a pair in the car. My new ones are a vast improvement on the old ones so that is pleasing.

Whilst there I cast my peepers over their range of scooters, discounting the small ones because they would not cope with the gravelled drive and the huge ones because I don't need that degree of available mileage (if I want to do more than 20 miles I'd use Bea2). I have been researching these things for some time now, tried a few but none have felt 'right'. The shop was deserted, the assistant was in a good mood (I know her of old and that isn't always the case) so I thought why not have a go? She explained everything to me, gave a good demonstration of what does what, gave me good advice about switching off before I 'dismount' and then I whizzed, slowly, round the showroom, doing a couple of laps and a little reversing (it beeps when reversing). I left with a number of queries and she rang just now confirming that the seat can be raised and adjusted backwards or forwards, that the DVLA will need proof of my identity, the insurance scheme they recommend and the name of the chap I should contact about servicing etc. once its warranty expires. She also said that yes, I can try it outside which is necessary: it has solid tyres but adjustable suspension.

I'm waiting for a parcel but hope to go back later this afternoon. They deliver so maybe by this time tomorrow I will be roaring round the garden and up and down the drive to get some confidence! I can see how this will change my life - and reduce the mileage on my car. :wink: DD
Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Possibly the world's most expensive crutch ever but what a fun one :D I shall await further reports with interest as I'm planning on maybe mobilising myself independently once we reach our new home. The incentive is a village pub with cricket pitch :D Perfect.

Well, DD, your next new parcel might be considerably bigger than the last one. I wish you much happy driving. :mrgreen: I am not a bit envious :mrgreen::lol:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • nearlybionic
    nearlybionic Member Posts: 1,899
    Hi
    Sounds like my type of shopping spree! Go in for one thing and end up spending much more :lol:
    It sounds like it will fit the bill with your terrain, and quick delivery too! So will you get some leathers? or are you more a parka girl :D
    NB
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Happy scooter driving, DD!

I was fine doing the laps in the yard outside the mobility scooter shop, so we took it to Scotland one Autumn. As I was tootling along towards the village store I "encountered " a bench. Having driven a car for many years & a mobility scooter for about two days, I instinctively looked for a brake pedal with my foot. By the time it dawned on me that there wasn't one, the bench - empty fortunately, had been pushed a long by a few feet!

I have never been allowed to forget this episode - hubby couldn't stop laughing & said I should have been wearing L- plates, while the people of Plockton were royally entertained.

I'm blushing just recounting this tale! : :oops: :oops: :oops:
  • dreamdaisy
    Thank you everyone - herewith an update.

I returned to the shop this afternoon, she agreed that I could take it outside to see how it felt in the real world so I did. It felt weird, I felt very vulnerable especially on some of the steeper cambers but I managed to cross the road at dropped kerbs and carefully pass the large number of cars parked half on the pavement and half on the road. I returned to the shop but she was busy with another customer so I amused myself by pootling round the store. Small disasters then ensued, reminiscent of yours theresak!

I manage to crash into the last wheelchair on a long display of chairs and shear off its right footplate. :oops: I then crashed into their sales desk and bent the wire basket on the front of the scooter. :oops: :oops: What I was forgetting to factor in is the slight delay between releasing the 'make me go forward handle' before one coasts to a stop. Anyway, I've bought it, she found a spare basket and of course I will pay for the damage to the wheel chair.

It's being delivered at 10 tomorrow morning. I have since found it on the net at cheaper prices but I am fortunate in that I can afford the extra peace of mind of buying locally and knowing that the after-sales care is there. I will sort out some insurance (I reckon I should, don't you? :wink: ) and a high-viz jacket to wrap around the seat. The days are getting shorter and it can be quite gloomy in the early afternoons. I was chatting to an experienced scooter user who recommended the high-viz and warned me that I have to be the eyes and ears of everyone around me so I can anticipate what they might do so I don't hit them! DD
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Good for you DD..we have a couple of people on our rd with them..and its a new lease of life..the only reason I am put off is we get a lot of people parking on the pavements..you enjoy...
    Love
    Barbara
  • dreamdaisy
    I understand how tricky that is, Barbara; my disability shop is sited on a small industrial estate in the middle of a large housing estate built in the early 60s but the roads that supply it (and within it) are the same gauge, modern lorries really struggle. Many of the units lack parking so visiting car drivers use the pavement/road as impromptu parking. I zig-zagged across the road first to avoid the mechanical obstacles but, when I felt more comfortable with its size, I slowly passed three cars in complete safety and without hitting anything - I saved that for the showroom. :wink:

Thank you for your kind wishes, I am positive that this will be a positive change for me but I mustn't forget that walking is good exercise! DD
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Well Done DD :wink: Not before time either..... :lol:

I haven't got a particularly big one........Only does 9 miles to the battery :lol: but I don't need anymore. As you say you can use the car but I don't want to use my car {cant really} at the moment until I get the knee replacement Meantime I have got lifts sorted out for various places I go to regularly

Why I wanted a smallish one is I wanted it to fit in Peters car so that we can take it away and use it if necessary

Anyway......happy driving and stay safe
    The first time I tried one was inside in our Shopping Mall when I hired one.......She asked if I had ever driven one before .....No. OK Out to the carpark {indoors} and she said drive down to the end, turn around and come back to me please and lets see how it goes.

I drove to the end then proceeded to do a 3 point turn {which in my case is more like a 9 point turn} :lol: She shouted to me....it will turn on a 6pence and it did not like a car :lol:
    I got back to her and she was still laughing . I said what are you laughing at now? She said it helps to keep your feet still :lol: We must all be the same. My feet were going 19 to the dozen trying to drive it...accelerator brake etc.
    Well like I said before happy driving.

Love
    Hileena
  • dreamdaisy
    That was the oddest thing, Hileena; my feet didn't move. :) I agree that it is, however, about time. Things are worsening (I recall posting many moons ago about wanting to be instantly at the depths so I knew what I was facing) but life does not work that way. I remember that you and other forum members were very kind and patient regarding my impatience. I have steadily increased my mobility armoury and this is another necessary step.

One of the more surprising aspects to the whole malarkey is that one can enter a showroom and leave with a heavy-ish piece of kit with little or no instruction about how to 'drive' it which is why the attention I received today was so good.

Boudicca arrives around ten tomorrow morning. DD
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    I hope you get as much pleasure from yours (have you named it yet? ), as I do from Freda.

I was hesitant and went for a lightweight folding car boot model but it has made such a difference, in the summer I went for a day out with my grandchildren that I couldn't have managed without.

Enjoy!
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Boudicca BOUDICCA have visions of DD shield on one arm spear in the other charging round the streets. :shock:
    About time too,what does Mr DD say to this malarkey ? Mig
  • hileena111
    Hi DD
    I'm Pleased you have got it.....you are like me. Crutches that aren't NHS, 4 wheel rollater, a new scooter now. The other one didn't serve the purpose. Goodness knows how many sticks :lol:
    My other scooter was quite old and like most 4 wheel ones {boot} where I put my feet there was a massive "hump" on either side and with having this knee replacement coming up and probably another one after that......it was very hard to drive Not enough room for my feet. It really hurt to put my feet on top of these humps {don't know the proper names for them :lol: } so this one is a 3 wheeler which means that where my feet are instead of a large HUMP it goes up on either side very gradually and is great. As well as having the 3 wheels it has 2 small wheels on either side so that if you are on a camber you aren't likely to topple over.

Boudicca will be an extra thing to help you. I'm using mine fairly constantly {for the next 8 weeks} but after that I don't expect to use it as much........back to the car for me

Let us know how you get on........
    Love
    Hileena
  • dreamdaisy
    Spot on, Mig, I shall be whizzing along, knives on my wheels and a spear to hand to prod irritating plodding pedestrians out of the way. :wink: Mr DD knew I was looking at it but doesn't yet know I've bought it: what with one thing and another there was no time last night to tell him but it's not his money I've spent.

I know what you mean about the raised foot platforms at the front, Hileena, they are awkward. I find that they limit the room on the 'platform' and, on ones I've tried, my knees have been forced into a 90 degree bend which hurts. Yesterday they adjusted the seat moving it back and up, this has eased the stress on my knees and I can put my feet up with relative comfort.

I have a very busy morning ahead with clearing the bedroom ahead of the new flooring so when she arrives I will have a whizz around the garden then forget I've got her - well, that's the theory. :wink: DD
  • stickywicket
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    Spot on, Mig, I shall be whizzing along, knives on my wheels and a spear to hand to prod irritating plodding pedestrians out of the way. :wink:

Goodness me! How fickle people are! One minute you're the plodding, limping, arthritic pedestrian and the next you're the charioteer who regards such as mere hurdles :shock: :lol:
    Steven Wright
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Make sure you get a bell or a hooter, DD - it's only fair to give those plodding pedestrians a fighting chance!
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Hileena11 and DD please can I join in the mobility accessories club.
    Three pairs of differently coloured non NHS crutchs (so I can coordinate with what I'm wearing). Two four wheel rollators, one with cutomised hand dyed fabric over the seat back, and one for school use which the pupils are now gradually covering with stickers, and my folding scooter in my car.

And all named...but I'm a bit worried in case Paul and Mary fall out with each other!
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,458
    Are you going for the total greenhouse look? :mrgreen:

:cheers:
  • dreamdaisy
    Oh Slosh, two rollators? I am jealous! :mrgreen: There's no club my lovely, just an understanding that what we need to have we have. Those of us who can afford to ease the strain on the NHS are fortunate but the recent stories in the press about NHS-issued kit (which they refuse to accept when the need has passed) is galling.

Hello Airwave, I am very tired for many reasons so I'm not sure I understand the green reference. :oops: I apologise.

Boudy (pronounced Boody) arrived on the dot of 10. I was busy doing other things but of course had to have a go! She coped admirably with the gravelled drive and is now in the garage alongside Bea2. Someone from planet Energetica wanted a go so her wish was granted. She found it very unnerving and I can understand why: she drives a Land Rover Defender and Boudy resembles that like a flea resembles an elephant. DD
  • Paleogirl
    Paleogirl Member Posts: 75
    My other half started working for a disability aids firm two weeks before I got diagnosed. I get 20% off lol.

They ride round the showroom on the scooters when nobody is looking
  • dreamdaisy
    The maiden voyage is planned, we are going to go over to the local park which is very beautiful and somewhat hilly. I've read and re-read the instruction booklet but I will be in full tortoise-mode until I feel very comfortable with how it handles. I've planned a route which has dropped kerbs all over the place (my local council are good on that) and it will involve a break for lunch at our local. 8) DD
  • stickywicket
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    it will involve a break for lunch at our local. 8) DD

I hope it went well. I was reminded of the New Year's Eve when Mr SW and I attended a neighbour's party, I by wheelchair. It snowed heavily while we were there and, next morning, our homeward tracks were very visible and VERY curvey :cheers:
    Steven Wright
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    Hope your maiden voyage went well DD. Trust you weren't slightly tipsy in charge of a scooter! :lol: I'm sure it won't be long before the tortoise option is forgotten about and you are dashing here, there and everywhere like a hare.

GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • hileena111
    Hi DD
    Yes it wont be long before you have it on hare mode :lol:
    Stickys post about weaving and curvy tracks reminded me of going through our large shopping mall, moble rang, I answered it. It was Peter so we had a chat about where to meet and as I passed a yellow peril {only employed by the Metro centre} he winked at me and said I could "DO" you for driving and using a mobile at the same time :lol:

Love
    Hileena
  • dreamdaisy
    Well, we did the park but not lunch. :( There was, however, a bonus I had not once considered.

We were able to walk hand-in-hand for the first time since 2002.

DD
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    Wonderful
    Best Wishes
    Sharon
  • stickywicket
    Crikey! You've made me go all mushy :o:D:D
    Steven Wright