Flare up

Options
Merilly3
Merilly3 Member Posts: 2
Hello
I was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis in my hands and feet about 6 years ago. I have been taking methotrexate which has kept the symptoms at bay, I don't have any pain at all now. But for a few days now I have had pain in my right shoulder, I can hardly raise my arm from my side. My question is this, could this be an arthritic flare up in part of my body where I have had no problems before, or is it something else completely unrelated to my arthritis.
Thank you

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Merilly3 and welcome to the Arthritis Care Forums.

I'm sorry to hear after a long period of managing your arthritis you are now experiencing additional pains.

The Helplines are open Monday to Friday 10am-4pm and they will be here on Monday to reply to your direct query.

In the meantime, do look after yourself, keeping as comfortable as possible. You may like to look at the section on the web site Coping with Pain, which has good advice and additional help in a booklet you can download, here:

https://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/managing-arthritis/coping-with-pain

Im sure others on the forums will be along to give their personal experiences and advice before Monday comes around :)

All best wishes
    Bryn
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    Options
    Hello Merrily3. I'm just an ordinary forum member not one of the Helpline team. I've had RA for a long time and this sounds perfectly normal to me. It sounds to me as if it's breaking through in pastures new as it were.

You need to talk to your rheumatology people. My guess is they'll want to up your meds' dose or add something else into the mix. Can your ring your rheumatology helpline on Monday?
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,490
    Options
    Hello Merilly3

Thank you for your message, I’m sorry to hear about the pain your experiencing in your shoulder.

Unfortunately, as we're not medically trained I'm unable to tell you whether or not the pain may be associated with a flare up, which it may or may not be, hence your medical professionals would be best placed to advise you.

The response from stickywicket is really helpful and leaves me with little else to add, so please do call your rheumatology team and let them know what’s going on for you.

Do give us a call if you would like to talk things through on our Freephone Helpline: 0808 800 4050 (weekdays 10-4), here we can take the time to talk informally and in confidence.
    If you prefer you can email us on Helplines@arthritiscare.org.uk

Best wishes
    Lynda
    Helplines team