How long

Julia2960
Julia2960 Member Posts: 14
edited 1. Oct 2016, 05:08 in Living with Arthritis archive
How long does a flare up last?I've been in pain for about 4 months now,I've only seen the rheumatologist once,and he said he would see me in 4 months time,is that the normal waiting time between appointments?the cocktail of drugs don't seem to be working,

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    The longest flare I has lasted just over three months, auto-immune flares are a law unto themselves. What meds are you taking and how long have you been on them? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    So when do you see the rheumatologist, Julia? I think a four month flare indicates the meds aren't really working though people use the term 'flare' differently. Meds that are working don't usually cut out all pain even though the blood results might be wonderful.

If you don't have an early rheumatology appointment booked I suggest you ring your rheumatology helpline for advice.

Which meds are you taking? And what dose?
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    I am so sorry you feel so rough.

I think my first 'flare' before meds was about 16 weeks so you have my sympathy.

I agree with what has already been said - you've waited long enough and if you are in agony should think about contacting the rheumatology helpline for advice.

Love

Toni xxx
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hello Julia2960..everyone is different, I do hope you are feeling a little better. has I type..
    Love
    Barbara
  • Julia2960
    The medication I'm on is naproxen 500mg twice a day,I've been on it for 2 weeks now,co-codomol 30/500 ,amitriptyline which I've been taking for 5 years for spondylitis in my spine,i don't have a date for the rheumatologist, he just said see you in 4 months,he also said I had sticky blood,it was my local doctor that prescribed naproxen, i went to see him after my appointment with the rheumatologist because I was in so much pain,
  • stickywicket
    There is no 'normal' time lapse between appointments. When things are bad I usually get a 3 monthly one, when all is going well a six monthly one and, more recently, I was asked if I'd mind annual ones. I agreed because I'm on an even keel and I know how busy rheumatologists are. (Usually my appointments are a month or two behind where they should be.)

I see your rheumatologist hasn't prescribed any disease modifying meds (The naproxen is just an anti-inflammatory and the other two are for pain relief) yet does want to see you again. This would suggest there is still some uncertainty as to whether or not you have an inflammatory form of arthritis such as lupus.

If you have a contact phone number why not ring to ask for an earlier appointment? If not, perhaps your GP could ask on your behalf.
    Steven Wright
  • Julia2960
    I don't know what kind of arthritis this is,all I know is im in so much pain,i had injections in both knees a few months ago,it really did help with the burning stinging pains but the knees are still stiff,it's like being jabbed with hot needles in my wrists,neck and shoulder,i can't even open a jar or can because my wrists are painful,they are really warm when I feel them,my skin is now sore,i used to be very active,now i cant even do the simplest of things,i think this disease is very cruel,i just want to be able to do the simple things without pain,thanks everyone for your reply,
  • stickywicket
    It does matter what kind of arthritis you have as, if you have an inflammatory form, you need the DMARDS which only the rheumatologist can prescribe. If you simply have OA your GP will deal with it.

I do understand about the pain and the relentless nature of it. I have RA and now, as a consequence, OA in most joints. The meds do lessen the pain considerably but doing simple things without pain might not be an option.

There are gadgets to help us with jar opening etc but I think what you really need is that second rheumatology appointment and, in your situation, I'd be pushing for it.
    Steven Wright