Feeling guilty

Starburst
Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
edited 30. Sep 2016, 14:25 in Living with Arthritis archive
I came back from a lovely 10 day holiday in the early hours of Tuesday morning. While I was away, my fridge malfunctioned (it froze) and because of this, it rendered my humira pens unusable. I am due a prescription from the hospital and it's going to take a couple of days to process and of course, I need to arrange the delivery too. The thought of being without my precious medication, even for a short while, is horrible. I inject every fortnight but I start to notice it wearing off around day 10 and I'm due it tomorrow. However, I'm now feeling even worse following a phone call from rheum nurse. She said she just needed to check that I had a suitable fridge as obviously, the cost of the medication is high. That made me feel so guilty, even though she was kind about it. I've wasted a couple of grand of precious NHS resources. I know that in the grand scheme of NHS wastage, it's a drop in ocean but still, it was my fault.

Am I being silly or would anyone else feel similarly?

Comments

• daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Of course you are not being silly - I would feel guilty in that situation too, that's the way I was brought up,- but neither should you beat yourself up about it. You are an intelligent and responsible patient, and you certainly did not deliberately set out to ruin the meds by having a malfunctioning fridge.
    In the scheme of the billion pound accountants nightmare that is the NHS your 'misdemeanor' is a drop in the ocean. There are thousands of others who not only contribute nothing to the NHS coffers through employment but also knowingly and deliberately waste resources everyday,to the detriment of us all. They are the ones who should feel guilty, not you, but they don't unfortunately.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    I would feel guilty too.

One of Lucy's chemo meds was mixed wrongly by a lovely nurse bless her - it was worth £4,000!!

BUT things happen! Fridges do break down!!! I expect you'll store your precious supplies at family or friend's if you go away in future, but it was so unlikely how many of us would have considered it as a possibility?? I bet NONE of us.

((())) for you

I wish I could take that nasty feeling away for you :(

Love

Toni xxx
  • pot80
    pot80 Member Posts: 109
    Not your fault.Dont worry.Put it behind you. You cannot be blamed for modern technology it always lets you down when most depended upon. It is just unfortunate that you now have the bother of getting further supplies.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    You are wrong to blame yourself, Sophie, but I'd have done exactly the same despite the fact that the malfunction of a formerly well-behaved fridge can hardly be attributed to you.

I, too, would have felt guilty at being asked if my fridge was suitable but, on the other hand, I'd be annoyed if such things weren't checked out when our meds cost so much.

Forgive yourself. After all, you are being punished for your fridge's misdeeds by being denied the meds. I hope the new ones arrive soon.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    These things happen, even a proper medical fridge could go wrong. Mal-functioning electrics is not your fault, far from it. Being on holiday when the fridge decided to throw a hissy fit is not your fault. The NHS wastes huge amounts of money on an hourly basis and happily so - the recent controversy about the cost of not re-using crutches etc. is proof of that.

I hope your new supply arrives soon. ((( ))) DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    you shouldn't feel guilty Sophie ..but you will whatever we say..I just hope you have a new fridge all ready for the meds..
    Love
    Barbara
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Thank you for your kind words. I'm feeling a little less emotional. I'm sure sleep deprivation was contributing. The fridge fixer man and my new batch of injections are coming next week. In the mean time, I have a stinking cold to celebrate the weekend. :?
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Good, (apart from the cold), sounds like a plan and all is sorted.

Probably going down with a cold made you a bit more vulnerable to.

Take care Sophie :)

Love

Toni xxx