Scam alert

Options
Slosh
Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
edited 1. Oct 2016, 06:37 in Community Chit-chat archive
Today I received an email from "HMRC", saying they had been trying to contact me by letter as I was due a tax refund of £198.20, from the tax year ending 2014. It also stated I had to claim by 23rd September.
The letter looked entirely genuine, and as it was a reasonable/believable amount, and I have lots of problems with tax over the past few years I clicked the link to the claim form.
I became suspicious when it asked for my full bank details plus card number and secure code, and then for security reasons my mother's maiden name and my NI number.
Finally, proofs of identity, passport details, driving licence etc.

I decided to click on the links to see where they took me...nowhere, they just opened up the claim form again.

Thought I would share as it was very official looking and as the Tax Office are notoriously hard to get hold of by phone it would be all to easy to click away.
He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
Julian of Norwich

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,414
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Oooh I hope you'll be able to get through to them and let them know about the scam. Scary!!

I am pretty sure HMRC don't have my email address.

Love

Toni xxx
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    Options
    Thanks, Slosh. These scammers are getting more and more sophisticated. I think, as a general rule, no official people contact by email requiring a reply but these things can look so plausible.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Options
    It came through to my work email which made it more plausible. I will contact the LA tomorrow
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • bubbles
    bubbles Member Posts: 6,508
    Options
    Thank you for the heads up on the scam, they really are using every possible tactic to grab someones identity and money. Shame on them, Karma. :x
    XX Aidan (still known as Bubbles).
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    You were wise not to take that any further and thank you for letting us know - I hope your LA responds quickly because others might have been taken in. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Thankyou slosh..they never give up do they...but guess they make lots of money out of people ..
    Love
    Barbara
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    I have just received one of these e-mails,I have been coached by my children what to do and what not to do so I deleted it straight away and then emptied the deleted file.THANKS for the heads up Slosh.
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    There are lots of scam warnings about at the moment but it is easy to be caught out. Anything that asks for personal information, especially banking details is a no no.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,458
    Options
    Has anyone had any problems with yahoo? I used to access my bt email via their web pages but no link now.
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    I read;
    HMRC will never send an email if giving a tax rebate. They will send a letter with a claim form through the post.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein