Hi all

Stuboy
Stuboy Member Posts: 8
edited 3. Oct 2016, 14:07 in Say Hello Archive
My name is stuart, from ashford kent.

Just been referred to rhuematolgy due to symptoms and testing positive for ra.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Stuboy,

Welcome to the forum - it can be a bit of a surprise to be told you have arthritis and a positive Rhesus factor is a possible indication of one of the autoimmune forms of the disease.

I confess I was a bit frightened myself, but you have been more clever than myself in finding the forum early on!

This link will give you some information on arthritis diagnosis, it's a booklet and can be downloaded to your pc

https://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/assets/000/001/429/Understanding_FINAL_100516_web_original.pdf?1463666633

One good bit of advice - don't trust everything you read online, check it's a reputable site by looking for .org or .nhs and I'd stick to uk sites too, names of drugs and ways of treating patients vary from country to country.

Ask anything you like on here - everyone is very friendly and supportive - and of course very knowledgeable too

Take care
    Yvonne x
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Hi Stuart. I have RA. I hope your rheumatology appointment comes through soon.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hello, I have another form of auto-immune arthritis but know many people with RA - despite the different conditions we take the same meds. I am sorry to hear that you have had to be referred but that sounds like prompt action by your GP, there are many on here with RA so you are talking to the initiated; we will do our best to answer any questions you may have but we are not doctors, just practising arthritics. :wink: I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Stuboy
    Anoyingly as im only 41..
  • dreamdaisy
    Auto-immune arthritis has no respect for age, but no matter when it starts it's an affront to the one who has it. It is a disease commonly associated with the elderly but that is not the case as you are, sadly, finding out. I began my troubles aged 37, one of my greatest friends began in her early teens and the youngest I have 'met' on here was just 18 months old.

Is there anyone else, both in your immediate and distant family, with auto-immune troubles? Have you been OK until now or have you had troubles with asthma, eczema or hayfever? DD
  • Stuboy
    Ive had joint problems in my knees 16 odd years hands.. elbows..fingers etc
  • Stuboy
    Hayfever since a child.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    It sounds as if you might well have something autoimmune going on, Stu. With luck, they'll get on top of it quickly.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    Oh dear, I am sorry to read that, it appears that you may be destined to join our somewhat creaky gang. Please let us know how you get on at rheumatology, when is your appointment? I suspect they may ask for more blood tests, maybe Xrays too but in the meantime keep a short diary of pain and tiredness levels, what increases or lessens your discomfort, what (if anything) is disturbing your sleep, all of this will help the rheumatologist gain a better picture of you and how you are being affected. DD
  • TheLordFlasheart
    TheLordFlasheart Member Posts: 302
    Hi Stu,

Welcome to to the forums first of all. Im living with Osteoarthritis and im only 35, been diagnosed properly now for 2 years, so I know how it can feel being relativley young and have arthritis.

This is the best place for support, as we all suffer one way or another and can have a good vent or too when things get bad.
    "Stoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast"