Flowering teas.

Options
dreamdaisy
dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
edited 7. Oct 2016, 10:44 in Community Chit-chat archive
I don't know if you have come across these but they are stunning. We went to Tenterden (Kent) and stopped at a tea rooms because I needed a sit-down. I love my builders' tea to kick-start my mornings but also have a soft-spot for green and jasmine teas. I spotted 'Jasmine Fairies' on the menu so ordered that.

It came in a glass teapot and was unlike any tea I've ever seen. The pics on the websites that sell them look very artistic but, believe me, once they are in a pot they don't hold that shape. :wink: Yes, it looked like something you might find under a stone in a rock pool but the taste: so subtle but refreshing. Each flower bomb can be used twice if not thrice (depending on how strong you like fine tea). You add the dried bomb to the boiling water and it unfurls, little by little. It's lovely to watch.

I found the company that supplied the tea rooms and they are delivering my order of two glass mugs with lids plus infusers and various packs of flowering teas tomorrow. I am very excited! DD
Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    This was a whole new concept to me so I googled the term.

WoW! How lovely! How very Chinese – useful but beautiful all in one.

I feel a few Christmas presents coming on.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,414
    Options
    What a great idea Stickywicket!! Lovely Chrimbo pressies :)

DD I had heard of these but never had one yet, I think I need to now after that recommendation

c035.gif
  • bubbles
    bubbles Member Posts: 6,508
    Options
    Am not a fan of out of the ordinary teas, but that sounds lovely, woud go well with a scone or three. Great idea as a gift, as so many people like their different flavoured drinks. XX Aidan
    XX Aidan (still known as Bubbles).
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    Options
    I've long bee a lover of 'proper' jasmine tea and have had various versions of these compressed 'watch it grow' kinds.
    One thing I would mention is that in the main green and white teas are not intended to be brewed with boiling water, and one of the reasons people are disappointed with the flavour or find them too bitter to drink without milk is because they are brewed with too many leaves too hot and for too long. Some of them should be brewed for less than a minute with water at 80 degrees C, and can be used again for a further one or two brews - the flavour changes as one would expect, but doesn't necessarily become weaker. That's easy enough to arrange when there's more than one of you, but takes a bit more planning when it's a singleton's teaparty! A tiny teapot and two cups solves the problem, otherwise I just use an ordinary small pot and decent sized cup and accept that there is potentially a certain amount of waste. I don't drink enough of it often enough for the cost to be a real issue, especially as I can get the leaf tea loose from a small independent supplier rather than in fancy teabags and packaging.
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    That's a very good point, Daffy, I should have put 'nearly boiling' hot water. I was recently researching kettles as ours was giving up the ghost,I thought about those with varying heat settings but having read all the reviews about the bleeps and buzzes decided that I had the mental wherewithal to switch the kettle off a little early!

My order is arriving between one and two today, I think the kettle will be on the go around 2.30 :wink: DD
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    Options
    As you get used to the noises a kettle makes when it's heating up you can judge when to switch off. I don't use boiling water when I make 'real' coffee so again listen for the right level of bubbling to know when it's just under the boil.
    My DIL has(or had, I think it's been replaced) one of those pick a temperature kettle devices which she liked but one thing I did notice was that it tended to encourage leaving water in and reboiling it. Not good for the taste of tea and an absolute disaster for hard water areas, as repeated boiling of the same water deposits more scale than using fresh.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,414
    Options
    Hard water yuk - we have it too Daffy :(

How was your tea DD?
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Utterly beautiful. Yesterday I had Jasmine Fairies and White Orange, both were very good but the orange had the edge, it was like drinking a Terry's chocolate orange without the chocolate! Even Mr DD was tempted into trying the Jasmine one before he went to bed.

I'm very pleased I opted for the infuser glass mugs rather than a teapot. It's easier to remove the blooms so they can be re-used: I had three substantial mugs of jasmine which makes these things better value than they appear: £6.95 for five bombs is pricey but, at between two and three generous mugs per bomb it's not so bad. I think ten work out slightly cheaper, I'll be looking at the site again very soon. Amazon may do them more cheaply but I know the quality of these and I'm sticking with them. This is going to be a daily treat - hopefully the novelty won't wear off!

The box inside the dull brown box packing box is stunningly beautiful so that will be kept: I have the annoying habit of keeping things close to me on my side of the sofa so this will store all my bits and bobs far more neatly. It is creamy white layered paper with what look like real leaves and petals pressed into it.

If any of you want the name of the site so you can have a look feel free to PM me. DD
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    Many years ago we used to go to a local Chinese restaurant as a treat and I always had 'China tea'. It was divine yet I've never been able to replicate the taste despite buying countless Jasmine or green teas over the years. So I think I'll have a try of DD's company and see if that comes close.

Elizabeth.
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Hello tkachev, how lovely to see your name, I hope all is as well as possible with you and yours.

I first tasted the 'clear teas' (as I call them) in a Chinese restaurant when I was nine (so probably jasmine) but I had no idea until now that such a range of teas and tastes existed: we live in the age of coffee, yes? :wink: I think water quality is important, we are fortunate that our cold tap water is drinkable no matter where we live but I have a filter and I am sure that makes a difference. I've PMed you. DD
  • tkachev
    Options
    Thank you for the PM DD. I was just about to message you.

Yes I was about 9 when I first tried the tea and at the time I was told it was China tea. I have tried so many different brands and companies since then so one more won't hurt.

I'll let you know how I get on.

Elizabeth

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • tkachev
    Options
    Tea duly arrived and I have so far tried the gourmet tea bags (that I got as a free gift), the Gold and the Jasmine Fairies and need to have 'seconds' of these before I try another flavour. They are all so refreshing and now ordinary tea tastes dull although I'm not ready to give up on it entirely as its a serious addiction I need to wean myself off first I think.

Do you leave your used flowering teas in cold water DD?

Take care
    Elizabeth x

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    I leave mine sitting in the infuser (placed on a saucer) with the lid on, I get around six mugs from each bundle then they go in the veg recycling box. I'm currently 'doing' the fruity ones, Berry Bella and Orange something . . . I need to place another order soon! They are refreshing and so delicate in flavour but I still need a builders first thing to start the day - delicate and refreshing doesn't cut the early morning mustard.

They say you can leave them in cold water for display purposes but I don't have the room at the moment, I'm still trying to restore order to the ground floor after the efforts of the two carpeteers. DD
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    Options
    I'd never heard of them before but they looked so lovely I bought a large tin of assorted ones as a farewell gift to the wonderful staff of our local Chinese restaurant. I thought they could either share them or use them (They're not currently on the menu) and they seemed very pleased with them.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Thankyou DD..I have never heard of these but what a lovely idea..and a good present for someone..including some for me of course....
    Love
    Barbara
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    They are lovely, Barbara, delicate in flavour but so pretty - watching them grow from a tight dried ball of foliage to something you might see in a rock-pool :wink: is lovely. Maybe your grandchildren would find it interesting? I use The *xot*c T**p*t C*mp*ny for my supplies. DD