Hello

AlisonLW
AlisonLW Member Posts: 2
edited 15. Oct 2016, 05:57 in Say Hello Archive
Hi

I was diagnosed with arthritis after going to my GP with a finger which was bending at an angle. She sent me for an x-ray and that is when I found out what it was. I did recently see the x-ray as I was referred to a physio when I complained about the discomfort and that's when I realised that it's in all my fingers - but not my thumbs! I've got one finger with a nodule (can't recall what its actually called) on my finger joint and another finger which is starting to bend.

I'm taking some supplements but have no idea if they are working at all. The physio said I was doing enough exercise as I work and sit at a keyboard every day so my fingers are on the go. However there are times when there is a lot of discomfort and I take Ibuprofen to alleviate this.

I'm not looking forward to the colder weather as I know that's when it'll be worse but I'll just have to make sure I've got gloves.

Thanks for reading - Alison

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Alison
    welcome to the forum, sorry to hear you have been having such a painful time with your your fingers. You don't mention which type of arthritis you have? We have a useful booklet about managing pain that you might find useful, which you can find here https://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/what-is-arthritis/resources/217-managing-pain
    Please ask lots of questions and keep us up to date with how you are getting on. You will find the members very welcoming and helpful. After posting here you might want to post in the "Living with arthritis" forum which is where most members hang out
    Best Wishes
    Sharon
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hello, it's nice to meet you but I am sorry you have had to find us. My fingers are affected by my auto-immune arthritis (psoriatic) and my wrists by osteo so I can empathise - the thought of the colder weather is not a happy one!

If your fingers are stiff in the morning benefit can be found by soaking them in a basin or bowl of warm water and gently flexing them until they free up; some people also add Epsom salts. I hope you find the forum to be of interest, rest assured you are talking to the initiated! I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hello Alison ans welcome to the forum from me
    You could ask to have your bloods taken if they haven't already, and have your Vit D levels checked ..I take Vit D and calcium..because my levels were low..keeping the joints moving is very important..
    Love
    Barbara