All systems go - bilateral total jaw replacements!

Starburst
Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
edited 24. Oct 2016, 04:01 in Living with Arthritis archive
I got the call in the middle of a training course, so I snuck into the toilet to have a little cry. I saw the medical report which said "there really is no other alternative as she has progressive joint collapse". When I read that report (which wasn't meant for my eyes but I asked to see) I told myself I had to say yes, even though I am scared.

It will be a minimum of 3 months but probably closer to 4 months until the operation. They confirmed it will be done within a maximum of 6 months. It's a a relief to have a timescale.

I'm in preparation mode; starting to look at PJs with buttons, juicers, audio books and pillows etc. Work have already said they'll do everything to keep in touch. They're amazing. My manager said he'd visit me at home to keep me up to date as we are undergoing a major restructure in March/April.

I am scared, so scared. The surgeon said it's a complex procedure and the anaesthesia will also be complex....but when has anything been simple with me?!

I posted this partly so that if anyone else searches, there will be information. It took me a long time to find people who'd been through it and speaking directly to those people has made all he difference.

You have been with me along the last 7 years of the journey and you've been great friends. I'm lucky to have you.

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Oh my darling girl. I honestly don't have the words but I hope these help. ((((( ))))) xxxxx We will be with you every step of the way, OK? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Like DD I have nothing to say, except that I know you will get through this, it's good to know your manager is so supportive as that takes one pressure away from you. Sending hugs and hoping that as it has to happen it's sooner rather than later.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    It's good that something can be done but I can totally understand where you are coming from re your "crikey, it's happening!" reaction.

You have time to plan and I'm sure you'll put that time to good use to prepare. I'll be here cheering you on from the side-lines, as will others from your Forum Family.

Take care.
    GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    Starburst,

Grace is quite right, you can count on your forum family to be with you and us Moderators will be right behind you too.

:)

Best wishes

Ellen x
  • Megrose2
    Megrose2 Member Posts: 331
    Thinking about you, Starburst and we'll be with you all the way.

((())) Meg
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Just these (((((( ))))))). You are strong and courageous and will deal with this with the stoicism you have dealt with all the other nonsense which besets you. We're here when you need some encouragement or a place to unload, and it sounds like you're being cared for by an absolute expert. I guess we arthritic bods should be hugely grateful we live in Britain where medical care comes free at the point of delivery, though my doctoring son tells me it's creaking under the pressure and lack of finance :( . Take care and be gentle with yourself....maybe start planning some post surgery treats and adventures so you have stuff to look forward to.
    Deb xx
  • nearlybionic
    nearlybionic Member Posts: 1,899
    Hi Starburst
    I can relate to the shock of getting thee green light for surgery. Even if you have discussed it before, it seems more real. I have no experience of your particular surgery, but I am here to listen if you need to talk. Planning is good, and hopefully if your date will not be too far away.
    Take care xx
    NB
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Hi Sophie!

Well I am pleased for you. You need this surgery very much and I know they will do their very best for you.

The time scale you have is ideal. Not so close that you have too much to organise....not so far that you feel it isn't going to happen.

We will all be here right behind you as you have been for us lot for the last 7 years!

Love and ((()))

Toni xx
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Thank you for the support. Emotionally, I'm a bit all over the place. :? On the plus side, I found out that I have 3 months full sick pay from work and I've still got just over 3 weeks annual leave which I have to use by the end of March.
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    If I could be there every step of the way I would do it,so many hugs there's not space for them.(((())))
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    I really, really hope it works splendidly for you. Of course youe emotions are running riot. But you'll get there.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright