Side effect of Hydroxy tablet

Options
valde
valde Member Posts: 271
edited 4. Nov 2016, 12:35 in Living with Arthritis archive
Good afternoon. Has anyone had a side effect of blood sugar levels dropping in the night ie waking after sleeping for 2/3 hours sweating, muzzy head and nausea. I have a drink and a couple of biscuits and can go back to sleep ok. I have had this since starting this tablet over 2 years ago and am now on 1 a day after a break from them, Consultant reintroduced these around 3 months ago. Symptoms came back. I persevered but then last week Mon to Friday I decided to take a 5 night break from taking them. I had really good nights but I took one last night and symptoms came back again. Has this happened to anyone else. I am seeing consultant Thursday to ask if there are any others I can take. Any help from you will be great. Thank you

Comments

• dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Disturbed sleep is dreadful, you have my sympathy and understanding. I take hydroxyl with sulphasalazine and methotrexate and suffer from all manner of side effects including disturbed sleep, night sweats, digestive discomfort and fuzzy head, but I can't be sure which meds cause which side effects :? How I wish I could abandon them all, particularly the methotrexate which wipes me out for a full day every week. All I know for sure is that when I leave off the DMARDs to take antibiotics for a chest infection I actually feel much better in myself.........the joys of living with RA!

Deb x
  • valde
    Options
    I to take methotrexate by injection once a week and also at moment inject Enbrel but had this bad feeling before Enbrel so know it's not that. My methotrexate injection is 15 and I did blame it on that but it seems cutting the hydroxy relieves the bad night feeling so I am more inclined to blame this now. I had to come off sulphazine as I felt really bad on that. It's all so confusing isn't it. I will speak to consultant Thursday as I am taking part in research programme about biologics hence injecting the Enbrel and I have had no side effects on that and having methotrexate reduced to 15 is better for me, it's just this hydroxy tab that seems to be problem so wanted to see if anyone else had symptoms. I am not taking one tonight so will see how sleep goes. Thanks for your reply and I hope you can get your meds sorted so you get some restful sleep X
  • Paleogirl
    Paleogirl Member Posts: 75
    Options
    New diagnosed I have been put on hydroxychloroquinine, methotrexate which they want me to take 20mg of and sulfrazalizine.

I had to stop the hydroxy after two weeks because of the side effects which were dizziness, nausea, terrible sleep and almost a weird unreal state.

I had to stop and then restart the sulfrazalizine because I got a bad headache. This time round I've taken three tablets and have dizziness, nausea and indigestion. I completely agree that I felt without the medication
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    Options
    I've no advice, valde. I'll leave that to your rheumatologist and wish you good luck for Thursday.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Oh Valde, I can empathise because it is so confusing and difficult to find the combination that 'works'. I have never taken hydroxy but I have struggled in the past with trying to find the right mix for me - it takes time, my lovely, but sometimes too much time, yes? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • valde
    Options
    Thanks everyone I will see what consultant says on Thursday. It seem I am ok with the injections but not found right tab mix. You are right DD sometimes it seems to take too long to find the right mix....if ever. All confusing ! Hope you all have restful night.
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Good luck for today, valde. Let's know how it goes.
    Steven Wright
  • valde
    Options
    Hello
    I got back from hospital at midday. Early blood tests which included fasting then appointment with consultant re rheumatology research. Had second biopsy on hand and all obs testing for the research. I spoke to the consultant and told him my experience with hydroxy tab. I said I had stopped taking it at at moment feel better and am sleeping better. I do not get hot sweats, dizzy head or nausea in middle of night since stopping it (hope it lasts). One side effect of this tab is that it could lower glucose level which could be happening to me in night. So he agreed for me to stop this med and noted it on my records and we will talk about it when I go for more research bloods in 2 weeks. I am crossing everything that I have found culprit. At moment I am on Enbrel 50 inject Wednesday and 15 Methotrexate inject Monday and folic acid 6 a week. Thanks for caring.
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Good. That sounds like a good appointment and, once again, well done for helping with their research.

I hope (fingers crossed :wink: ) you might find things are OK from now on. Hydroxy is only a mild DMARD so, as you'll still be taking the meth and enbrel, hopefully they'll do the job with no unwanted side-effects.
    Steven Wright
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Options
    That sounds like some positive progress....long may it last!

Deb x