Hello

Izzy123
Izzy123 Member Posts: 2
edited 9. Nov 2016, 09:16 in Say Hello Archive
Hello to everyone! I'm 40 and have osteoarthritis of the hips just seeing how others cope with it. I have had problems for around 10 years now and starting to really struggle. Any advice greatly received.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Izzy123 and welcome to the Arthritis Care forums.

Sorry to hear that you are having a struggle coping with your osteoarthritis. Given its the hips I'm guessing the problems revolve around pain and mobility.

The web site has a general leaflet to support Living with Osteoarthritis https://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/what-is-arthritis/resources/223-living-with-osteoarthritis

or you may like to ring the Arthritis Care Helpline on 0808 800 4050 which will be open from 10.00am on Monday.

If you let us know a little more about your current problems then Im sure that the lovely forum members will be able to provide support from their own experience.

Best wishes
    Brynmor
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hello, it's nice to meet you but I am sorry you have had to find us. I have two kinds of arthritis, PsA and OA (the latter resulting from the damage caused by the former). My troubles began when I was 37 and I finally retired aged 54, I was lucky to be self-employed so could tailor things to suit myself but even that stopped being helpful.

I cope with the OA by taking four 30/500 cocodamol per day, breaking tasks down into manageable chunks and resting as often as I can. My hips are affected by OA as are my knees and ankles, so the strain on my legs is sometimes very intense. I do whatever chores I can sitting down, I also use walking aids to reduce the stress on my joints. If you post again on the Living with Arthritis board on here you will hopefully gain more replies, it seems that not many members look in on here. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Hello Izzy123 and welcome from me too.

I've had my hips replaced and there are quite a lot of us on here who have / have had arthritis there. My problems were caused initially by RA but, when the hips go, they go. I used to do my exercises daily, take co-codamol when necessary and, sometimes, used cushions to sit on.

Is it mainly pain that's the problem or do you feel you need gadgets to help you cope with things?
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright