Hello

Robert1878
Robert1878 Member Posts: 10
edited 11. Nov 2016, 17:05 in Say Hello Archive
Hello :autumn-sun: , my name i Robert I'm 44 and was diagnosed with RA at the beginning of October. I had been struggling with sore knees, hands and really bad fatigue since March but was getting fobbed off by my doctor telling me it was everything but Arthritis for the first few months.

I had a steriod injection when I first seen the rheumatologist. I'm now on Hydroxychloroquine x2 a day and Methotrexate 10mg a week. All seems to be going well so far I've not had any side effects, my knees and hands are a lot better and my energy levels seem to be returning back to normal.

I was devastated when I first realised I had Arthritis as I've always been a keen runner and love doing Triathlons. The thought if not being able to do any of that anymore is not a nice feeling.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Robert,
    welcome to the forums, I'm sorry to hear that you've been diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis, struggling with sore knees and hands plus the fatigue is indeed extremely difficult. I'm glad to hear that the medication you've been started on by your rheumatologist is working for you.

I would suggest that at this stage you don't look too far into the future and worry about returning to triathlons and giving them up. The first priority for you presently is to get your disease under good control and build a good relationship with your rheumatologist as this will be the key to you picking up the pace with your life. In reality with good management and carefully listening to your body there is no reason why you should not return to running, it just may take some adjustment. There are quite a few para-Olympians who have arthritis Including Pamela Relph MBE http://portfolio.cpl.co.uk/inspire/2016-winter/real-life/. There is also a Rob Walters who was a world-record breaking freestyle football star entertaining fans across the globe, You can read his story here https://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/help-and-support/stories/183-rob

I hope that you will find these stories inspiring, and give you something to look forward to in the future. An important part of managing arthritis is getting good exercise and keeping your joints well protected with good muscle strength.

Please keep us up-to-date with how you are getting on its always good to hear how people are adjusting and managing their arthritis. We wish you all the best in your endeavour to return to triathlons.
    Best Wishes
    Sharon
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Hi there, Robert, and welcome from me too.

A diagnosis of RA is a big thing to come to terms with. At least you seem to be coping well with the meds which is an excellent start. I also take meth and hydroxy and they keep mine under good control.

As Sharon says, try not to look too far ahead. However, even if running is not to be other sports are available. My RA started in my fingers and stopped me playing the piano - which I loved. But whenever it's stopped me doing something I've taken up something else which has subsequently proved just as absorbing. It can make us think out of the box which is no bad thing.

Please join us on the other forums. We're a friendly bunch and welcome newbies :autumn-sun:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hello, it's lovely to meet you but I am sorry you have had to find us. The diagnosis of any kind of arthritis is upsetting, especially if one is coming at it from an active and healthy background - good health prepares you not one jot for such a setback.

GPs know a little about a lot but, in my experience, they do not know enough about the auto-immune forms of arthritis; obviously you have been referred to a rheumatologist and that is a good thing. I am very pleased to hear that the meds are working for you, from my reading on here I firmly believe that the quicker the diagnosis, and the sooner one starts the meds, the better the outcome can be and I hope that is the case with you. Don't be afraid to ask any questions, especially as this is so new for you, we will do our best to help and inform but please remember we are not docs, just practising arthritics. :wink: I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Robert1878
    Thanks for the replys and thanks for the links to the articles they're quite inspiring I especially liked this from Rob.

"You can either accept that you’ve got this illness and strive to deal with it by exercising, eating right and getting lots of sleep,” says Rob. “Or you can feel sorry for yourself and roll over and let it get to you. Fortunately, I’ve got that competitive streak in me which means I want to beat it.”
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Me too, Robert :D

Though, after all these years, I don't so much think of beating it as ensuring I win the major battles. It can have the lesser things.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • XantheD
    XantheD Member Posts: 9
    Hi Robert

Newly diagnosed too. Had just got myself fit swimming so feel a bit like you. Having tried to struggle on I've decided to stop for a bit until I'm stable on the drugs and not beat myself up about it too much.

On the bright side I've lost half a stone having had to give up alcohol :)

Welcome x
  • Robert1878
    Well done giving up alcohol XD, RA has takin my running for now but it can keep its bloody hands of my Guinness. :wink:
  • XantheD
    XantheD Member Posts: 9
    :D