1st formal absence meeting with employer

nearlybionic
nearlybionic Member Posts: 1,899
Hi
I had ALIF spinal surgery 5 weeks ago and will have been off work for 8 weeks next week as I was unable to work for a few weeks pre op. I have had a tough year health wise and have needed 3 lots of sickness off work, one after a fall at work, one after a car accident. I have gone back to work each time as soon as I was able to, but regardless of this I have been issued with 2 sickness letters prior to my surgery.
My manager has contacted me to arrange to meet with me as per policy next week, and is coming to my as I am not able to drive yet and travelling is not comfortable. I was told it was not a formal meeting, but the letter says different and says I can have a colleague with me or a staff side rep. I do not want to involve unions and stuff unless really necessary, as I had a bad experience in the past. I don`t want anyone from work involved as I worry about confidentiality.
I am concerned about my future ability to do my current role. But my Mum (who is retired from a similar role) has told me to tell her that I am keen to go back to work as soon as I am able. I feel pressured by Mum, although my hubby is very supportive to me, as he sees how much I struggle daily.
Any advice?
NB

Comments

• nearlybionic
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Sharon
    Thanks for your reply.
    I have had Access to Work previously and have some equipment in the office, but I am not just office based. I have been looking through the site for advice too, so thanks for the pointers.
    I am considering ringing our local union rep for advice, not necessarily for her to attend the meeting.
    I will take a look at the Citizens Advice site too.
    I potentially have just less than 20 years to work, and seriously cannot see me managing that. But I don`t want to let my hubby down as he is working so hard to keep us afloat. My full pay drops after Christmas, but I am not sure if I will be ready then to go back to work. My hubby is very supportive, and is probably more against me going back too soon than I am!
    I will make some calls tomorrow, if I feel brave enough to talk to someone about myself.
    NB
  • nearlybionic
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Sharon
    Yes I phoned a union rep who has tried to reassure me that the meeting is nothing to worry about and that I should be ok on my own. I am still apprehensive, but have decided against asking for a rep to come to the meeting as I fear it will change the feel of the meeting.
    I can only tell her what I know up to now, as I have not had any post op follow up yet and am not ready to return to work.
    Thank you for your enquiry
    NB