GETTING CLOSE NOW !!!!

hileena111
hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
edited 10. Dec 2016, 10:07 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi,
I had problems with the site as usual

My knee replacement is on Friday
Got to be at the hospital at 7am Fri :o
I've had 2 hip replacements but never felt anything like this.
I'm terrified this time.......don't know why.
:o

Any tips or thoughts would be appreciated. Also pocket duties on Friday

Thanks

Love

Hileena

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I think it's perfectly natural to be apprehensive pre-op. Being a veteran makes it no easier. On the contrary, I think one becomes more aware of what can go wrong.

My way of tackling such fears is to confront them as honestly as possible. Usually, if I dig deep, I can work out why and then deal with the answers.

Are you afraid of:

the op not working? Statistically, it will.

the fact that you're in more pain this time before the op? I've been in very bad pain and virtually unable to walk before all my joint replacements. It hasn't hindered their success.

overdoing / underdoing the physio? Liaise carefully with your physiotherapist especially about how much to push things.

the anaesthetic? Tell the anaesthetist all he needs to know.

being unable to drive for about six weeks? That's the price we have to pay for success. Don't rush it and you'll be fine.

I find that, by dealing logically with my fears, I can just shove them to the back of my mind and lock them up there. I do all in my power to make things work. After that, it's in the lap of the gods.

I'll look forward to hearing how well things are going in a week or so :D

I
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Of course you are nervous, who wouldn't be? Any form of surgery is a big deal and this is new territory for you. I am sure that all will go well, remember it's taken some time to reach this point so it will take some time to fully recover. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • nearlybionic
    nearlybionic Member Posts: 1,899
    Hi Hileena
    I can understand your apprenhensions and fears. I like you had had big surgeries including 2 THRs before my spinal surgery, but this did not stop me being scared pre op. However I did find that once at the hospital I felt calmer, a feeling of inevitability maybe?
    You have been in a lot of pain and can`t keep going like this, try to think of the TKR as a means to an end re being pain free in that knee after recovery. You have always been determined with your physio and stuff before, talk to the physios if you have any worries . I always find the physios have the most knowledge about the ops , more than the nurses!
    I will be thinking of you on Friday .
    NB
  • hileena111
    Hi Sticky and DD
    Thanks for your replies.
    You are right Sticky. I've been out for coffee with my daughter today and got a lecture about writing things down.
    Then what are the pros and cons.
    After that she says....."I've committed it to paper so I can forget about it now"
    Basically the same as you.

I suppose subconsciously I am afraid of it not working....remember what happened to my 2nd THR? Life changing.!!! :roll:

I am in a lot more pain than ever before. Much more than my 2 THR's I'll take on board what you say about that.

I don't think the physio is bothering me.

Or the anaesthetist .......I had problems 1st THR because of the scoliosis but I mentioned that the 2nd THR so had no problems that time.

So I'll write your things down and have a good think about them then hopefully that will be that. Thanks.

DD.....Thanks for your words of comfort as well.

Love
    Hileena
  • hileena111
    Hi NB

You are right as well
    I suppose come Friday morning {7am} I'll be OK
    It is Sunday evening now so only 4 more days to go
    I've got a lovely physiotherapist this time. The last time I saw him was when I went in with the fractured greater trochanter bone. I was told Lukeman {physio} will be round to see you soon.
    Someone else said I'm scared of him, he shouts.
    When he came he was about 6ft7in and did have a booming voice but was lovely. In fact I would say he was a big teddy bear. :wink:
    When I went for one of my group appointments for this TKR I was walking out and he stopped me and asked how I was? and then said It was the greater trochanter bone you came in with the last time I saw you? That was 3 and a half years ago how on earth did he remember :?: .....all the patients he must have seen in between times. :o So I think it will be him treating me.
    Thanks for your reply
    Love
    Hileena
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hello Hileena..terrified is normal....we are all hear for you ..the nearer the better less time to worry ..try and keep busy...and hopefully a week this Friday you will be in much less pain xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • hileena111
    Hi Barbara
    Thanks for the reply

I'll hear you before I go in I assume :wink: and you've got my mobile number :D
    Thursday night should be the last on the computer

Love
    Hileena
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    I have no wise words but just stopped by to say I hope all goes well and send some hugs (((((( )))))

Deb xx
  • hileena111
    Thanks for that Deb

Love
    Hileena
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Good luck,will be with you on Friday . Mig
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    We'll be thinking of you too Hileena,all of us moderators, and of course our web-manager Sharon. :)

Best Wishes

Ellen
  • hileena111
    Hi
    Thanks Mig, Thanks to Sharon, and to Ellen and all the moderators.
    I will get in touch when I get back and feel like facing the computer again. :D

Love
    Hileena
  • Megrose2
    Megrose2 Member Posts: 331
    I'll be thinking about you on Friday, Hileena. I hope it all goes well. ((()))

Meg
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Will be thinking about you Friday too, sometimes it's the build up before that's the worst part.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Hi Hileena

I think you've been given better advice than I could have ever given but I wanted to offer my support. I agree that the idea of something is often scarier than the reality. Be kind to yourself and try to keep distracted by treating yourself and maybe doing something fun or extravagant.

I will be with you in your pocket, bright and early. We'll all by there for you. You can do this, you're strong. You've faced so much and conquered all your challenges.

Take care.
  • hileena111
    Hi Meg. Slosh and Starburst.
    Thanks for your messages.

You are all right....its the build up before hand and the idea is scarier than the reality. Most people have said things like that and its true. Its just hard to do :roll:

One of the things that has been bothering me is that previous to other replacements I've kept going by going out places etc Life has been fairly normal until the day before I went into hospital.

This time I haven't been able to drive for about a month now because I've been so sore.
    I live in a village and the buses {what are they :lol: } are once or twice at the most an hour so I haven't got very far. Peter takes me out for coffee etc but its not the same as having your own freedom. So I suppose I have more time to think.
    Also anywhere I go I cant go for long because I can't sit for very long.
    Oh well enough moaning from me :wink:
    Peter is dropping me and the scooter into the Metro Centre tomorrow morning. I'll be there until I'm ready to come home or the crowds get to much {dreadful at this time of the year} Then he will pick me up. So something to look forward to.
    Love
    Hileena
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Hi Hileena

Gosh you will be feeling it if you have been unable to drive - I know how much your independence means to you :(

I know you'll feel better when you've been to the metro centre and had a scoot about and some coffees :D

I am sending much love from us all here and will be right there with you keeping an eye on the surgeon's skill ;)

Love

Toni xxx
  • hileena111
    Hi Toni
    Thanks a lot for your message. I hope everyone is OK or as OK as can be in your house
    I do feel a bit better today. I was due a Starbucks "freebie" :lol: so I made the most of it. A large one, one of the Christmas drinks, with everything that was going on it, sprinkles, syrup, loads of cream etc LOL

Yes I think after having thought about it by lack of independence has been part of my problem. At least after it is done....don't know how long I am in hospital??? Hip was.....in Friday and home Mon. I know the knee takes longer to heal but if I'm home that will be something. Anyway once I'm home its 6 weeks before I can drive At least I can put a time limit on it and look forward to the end of that 6 weeks.

Love to all at your end. Thanks for the pocket duties

Love
    Hileena
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    6 weeks will be just after Christmas won't it Hileena? Definitely good to have a goal in sight and an 'end date' :)

You will then get your independence back and be much happier I know Peter is great, but much nicer to get about under your own steam :)

Sounds like a rather special coffee you had today I am glad small things like that and being 'out' can really help.

All is well here thanks.

Thinking of you

Love

Toni xxx
  • hileena111
    Hi Toni,

Its wonderful how such small things cheer you up when you are like this isn't it.

Yes I suppose it is just after Christmas. Haven't counted yet. I will when I come out :wink:
    I'll aim for the 6 weeks but if the weather is really bad {and its a long time since I've driven } I'll set a smaller goal for a week or 2 weeks ahead :lol:

Glad things are well with your family.

Love
    Hileena
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    Good morning Hileena,
    I just wanted to wish you well for tomorrow as I don't think we'll get a chance to do it in the morning as you are leaving so early. Take care and we look forward to hearing from you when you get back.
    Best Wishes
    Sharon
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Good luck from me, too, Hileena.

I know you love your driving but one step at a time, eh? And do ask the surgeon, post-op, about when it'll be OK to drive.

Hope to see you back here very soon with a beautiful, fully-working new knee.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I wish you well for tomorrow, there's no rush to let us know how you get on but hopefully we will hear from you towards the end of next week with some lovely and positive news. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • hileena111
    Hi,
    Thank you everyone for your replies and encouragement
    I might get on later but this is just incase I don't.

Love
    Hileena
  • nearlybionic
    nearlybionic Member Posts: 1,899
    Hi Hileena
    Just calling in to say good luck for tomorrow. I hope you are first on the list or near to it, and you will be on the road to recovery soon.
    I will be thinking of you tomorrow x
    NB