Is soft cheese a no no

mig
mig Member Posts: 7,154
edited 17. Nov 2016, 17:51 in Living with Arthritis archive
Doing some shopping with my daughter we were looking at goats cheese and Brie and soft cheeses like that when she asked should I be eating them being on humira so ladies and gentlemen over to you,somethings I am careful about eating but I'm not sure about the cheeses. Mig

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I don't take humira but I think your daughter's right. (Annoying, isn't it :wink: ) Soft cheeses are a potential source of listeria. I think anyone with a compromised immune system is supposed to avoid them though I confess, as I don't eat much cheese anyway, I do, occasionally have some goats' cheese.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Sadly yes, your daughter was right and it's not only soft cheese, pates should also be avoided. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • ichabod6
    ichabod6 Member Posts: 843
    Eating moderate amounts has not caused me any side effects,
    nor problems of any sort.
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    Isn't it cheeses made from raw milk that are the problem (and other raw milk products), as pasteurisation kills listeria bugs?
    Although having said that many years ago there was an outbreak of cases traced to a dairy where the bugs got in after heat treatment due to inadequate cleaning of the bottle filling line....