Been given a date

lindamay
lindamay Member Posts: 118
I have just been for my 6 month x-ray and appointment and was told I can now have replacement hip. I have been given 7th December. My husband is also waiting for a prostrate operation and has now waited about 18 weeks. My consultant was very understanding and said my husband "should" hear soon for his op so hopefully he should be ok by then. If not I could postpone mine till he is. If he gets an earlier date I might be able to get mine earlier too. I am now trying to get my head round it all. He went through all the things that could go wrong and scared me to death. He said he has to do this by law. I understand this but it doesn't reassure me.

Comments

• helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,464
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Lindamay,

Thank you for posting on the helplines forum. I’m glad you have a date for your hip replacement, but it sounds as if it is not an easy time for you at the moment with your husband also waiting for surgery. You have a lot on your mind and some understandable fears.

Hip replacements do have a very good success rate. The main benefits are freedom from pain and much improved mobility.

If you would like to chat things over, do give us a call on our Free Helpline 0808 800 4050 weekdays 10am – 4pm. It may also help to talk to your GP or a physiotherapist.

Best wishes,

Fiona, Helplines Worker
  • lindamay
    Thank you for your reply. I have never been offered a physiotherapist. I may give you a call one day soon. We have family visiting this weekend. The trouble is with doctors they are so busy that they don't have time to talk through any worries we have. One question I have is do you have to remove jewellery (wedding ring) during surgery? I have not a clue about these things not having been in hospital except to have babies which is many years ago. And will they fit a catheter? I feel so ignorant about these things. Linda
  • helpline_team
    Hi Lindamay,

I’m afraid that, as we Helplines Workers are not clinicians (doctors or nurses) it would not be appropriate for us to answer these questions about your surgery. For general information, you may find it helpful to read the Arthritis Care booklet ‘Surgery and arthritis’: https://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/what-is-arthritis/resources/224-surgery-and-arthritis. If you were interested in others’ experiences of hip replacement surgery, I’m sure that other forum members would be happy to answer a question posted in the ‘Living with arthritis’ forum: http://arthritiscareforum.org.uk/viewforum.php?f=8.

I am sorry to learn that you have not had the opportunity to discuss your questions with your surgeon as yet. Before your surgery takes place you should have a pre-assessment appointment, where you can ask questions about what will happen before, during and after surgery, and get all the information you need to make an informed decision.
    I hope this helps and please do call us if it would help to talk things through.
    Best wishes,
    Rachael, Helplines Worker
  • lindamay
    I received a text message yesterday (Saturday) to go for pre op assessment on Tuesday this week. I am not booked in till 7th December. This seems a bit early also short notice to go Tuesday. We nearly booked to go away for a couple of days, good job we didn't.
  • lindamay
    My date has been brought forward to 30th November. After a lot of hassle and phone calls my husband now has a date, 7th November. It seems they had forgotten him and after numerous phone calls, being put through to the wrong people they told him the only slot before Christmas is then. A friend who had the same op says he should be driving after 2 weeks. I hope this is right as we can't both be incapacitated. A happy note is that our daughter bought us 2 tickets to see Chicago 31st October at Norwich Theatre to cheer us up. We are very lucky to have 2 wonderful daughters. Shame they don't live nearby.
  • helpline_team
    Hi Lindamay,

I’m glad that your hip operation has been brought forward. Thank you for letting us know. Hope all goes well for you and your husband's surgery.

If you would like to talk things over, do give us a call on our Free Helpline 0808 800 4050 weekdays 10am – 4pm.

Best wishes,

Fiona, Helplines Worker
  • lindamay
    My husband went in this week for his prostrate operation. Hopefully all is now ok. He came home yesterday. He has to go back 14th December. They took out the catheter and he was still retaining urine but could be due to swelling after surgery. I received paperwork for my pre op next Thursday. They also brought the date forward again to 26th November. 2 weeks on Saturday. I am just hoping he is alright by then. In himself he feels fine no pain but internally it takes time to heal. It is 35 miles to Norwich hospital where he had his done. Mine is about the same in the opposite direction. Kings Lynn. We just hope by January all will be behind us and we might be able to plan a holiday for next year
  • helpline_team
    lindamay wrote:
    My husband went in this week for his prostrate operation. Hopefully all is now ok. He came home yesterday. He has to go back 14th December. They took out the catheter and he was still retaining urine but could be due to swelling after surgery. I received paperwork for my pre op next Thursday. They also brought the date forward again to 26th November. 2 weeks on Saturday. I am just hoping he is alright by then. In himself he feels fine no pain but internally it takes time to heal. It is 35 miles to Norwich hospital where he had his done. Mine is about the same in the opposite direction. Kings Lynn. We just hope by January all will be behind us and we might be able to plan a holiday for next year

Hi Lindamay

Thank you for updating us. I am glad that your husband is through his operation and that all goes well with your pre op next week. I hope you are able to book that holiday for January.

I just wanted to remind you that you can always call us here on the helpline if you would like to talk things through with one of our team.

Best Wishes
    Dawn
  • lindamay
    Pre op tomorrow. My husband has done really well. He had no pain although he still has a catheter in. They tried taking it out but there was some swelling internally so decided to leave it a while but all looking good. I just hope mine goes as easily as his now its my turn.
  • helpline_team
    If you’d like to speak with someone about what’s going on for you or about the op itself please don’t hesitate to give us a call today at Helplines on 0800 800 4050. Many thanks, Bharti
  • lindamay
    Been today for pre op checks and its all systems go for 26th. The physio said they supply crutches and toilet seat but that's all. They suggested a perching stool. A friend of ours had his done 6 weeks ago at a Norwich hospital and they supplied him with everything. A raised armchair is a bit of a problem as we have 2 settees. Don't want to go spending out a lot of money on things as I hope its only temporary. They suggested Red Cross. I have sent a message to them so await their reply. Do you have any other suggestions please? Time is now getting short
  • nearlybionic
    nearlybionic Member Posts: 1,899
    Hi
    If you cannot sort this issue before you go into hospital, make sure that you ask to see the Occupational therapist before you are discharged and discuss what you need and they will be able to prescribe for items that you can obtain from your local mobility shop. I have 2 THR`s and recently had spinal surgery, and although I have a lot of aids in my home I needed something for on my bed after my last op and the OT came and gave me a prescription which we sorted locally. With the chair issue you talk about , there are 2 options- either `elephant feet` chair raisers or a loan of a high backed chair.
    I hope this goes well.
    NB
  • lindamay
    Thank you for your suggestions. I will try that. Hope all improves for you too.
  • helpline_team
    Hi Lindamay,

I’m glad that your husband is doing well after his operation and you had your pre-op assessment yesterday.

Regarding equipment, as Nearlybionic has said, you can ask to see an Occupational Therapist (OT) for an assessment while you are in hospital. Often an OT assessment is carried out routinely after hip replacement surgery before you go home. This is usually in addition to physiotherapy.

You are always welcome to call us on our free helpline if you would like to talk things through with one of the team. 0808 800 4050 weekdays 10am – 4pm.

I hope that all goes well with your surgery on the 26th.

Best wishes,

Fiona, Helplines Worker