Bursitis and other stories

scattered
scattered Member Posts: 326
edited 21. Nov 2016, 10:06 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi everyone *waves madly* long time, no see.

I've been trying to keep up with you all and catch up when I can, but rarely get time to post. Hugs those suffering, hi to those I don't know.

I've moved house and jobs since my last visit and am in the process of getting to know a new rheumatology department. So far I have been very impressed. My RA is under quite good control still, but now I'm 10 years in there are far more complications with it. I have nodules on my feet - very attractive! - and still have a tendency for spending a lot of time on the floor.

In true Scat fashion, I fell down the stairs 4 weeks into my new job, fractured my foot and landed very heavily on my knees. This week, 5 weeks after the fall, my left knee decided it was party time: hot, swollen, red. After ignoring this for 5 days, I called the rheumy advice line. I was seen within the hour and my knee aspirated. The fluid was in the bursa and my lovely new RD and I expected to see straw coloured synovial fluid fill the syringe. We got blood. A whole bursa full of blood. We are both very confused as I have had no further knee trauma since flying down the stairs. He is running tests.

Has anyone else had or heard of hemorrhagic prepatellar bursitis? The interweb isn't very helpful with the whole thing, but I now know a lot about trauma, bursitis and knees.

Scat x

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Scat!

How lovely to see you :)

How much have you done since last posting :shock:

House move new job new rheumatologist all good.

Launching yourself downstairs, not good! As for bleeding bursa :? never heard of it. You don't suppose it got damaged in that fall??

Love

Toni xxx
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Hello scattered. Lovely to see you again.

I see much has gone right for you but not close encounters with the floor. I, too, have been emulating you in that I have move house and, at first, kept launching myself off a high kitchen wall cupboard after head butting it. What are we like?

I'm sorry, I can't help re the bursa. I'm just glad your rheumatologist is onto it. It sounds as if you're in good hands.
    frogmorton wrote:
    As for bleeding bursa :?
    :shock: language, frog :lol:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    frogmorton wrote:
    As for bleeding bursa :?
    :shock: language, frog :lol:

Oh gosh!

:oops: :oops: :oops:

Sorry :(
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    welcome back scat..sorry I wont be much help, must say you have been busy since we last heard form you..its sods law that they get your RA under control thanks to a good rheumy... then this I do hope your knee improves very soon ..x
    Love
    Barbara
  • scattered
    scattered Member Posts: 326
    Frog - we don't think it's from the fall. Apparently the bleeding should have stopped 4 weeks ago.

Sticky - this moving house lark is a dangerous business! Take care.

Thanks Barbara. All is good generally. The knee will sort itself out. I'm waiting with bated breath to see if it balloons again. So far, so good.

Is anyone else getting a battering from Storm Angus? It's a grotty day here.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Well hello! :) It's lovely to hear from you again after such a long break, I apologise for not replying before now but things ain't easy here one way or another. That matters not.

You have been a busy girl and no mistake. I confess I cannot remember when you were last here but I am saddened to read that your troubles continue and that floors hold an unhealthy attraction for your interest. I've not heard of that kind of bursitis but I admit I am wondering if you are using any kind of aid or support for walking? They can (and do) make a difference. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben