Sock/stocking aid

Mystic07
Mystic07 Member Posts: 19
edited 15. Dec 2016, 04:01 in Living with Arthritis archive
My consultant has suggested wearing compression stockings for 4 weeks after my TKR but since I live on my own he's said it doesn't really matter as I wouldn't be able to put them on alone.
Is there any real benefit to wearing them and is it worth buying a sock/stocking aid

Thanks

Comments

• trepolpen
    trepolpen Member Posts: 504
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    hi Mystic07 ,

if you are to wear compression socks & liners , you better have socks supplies by your GP as they will get the right size for you , they can also advise on dressing aids or even supply something ,

you wont need to change them every day & because I got leg ulcers I wear them & use one like this to help get them on

https://www.amazon.co.uk/NRS-Healthcare-Sock-Hosiery-Helper/dp/B006681ZUY/ref=sr_1_3_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1478601420&sr
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    They are supposed to reduce the risk of DVT so they are important but yes, a real struggle indeed to put on and take off. I think one can take medication to ward off a DVT (these occur due to periods of post-op inactivity), I recall another member on here did a daily injection of a blood-thinner after a hip replacement to avoid the development of DVT. Please chat this over with your surgeon, nursing team or GP, they are better placed to advise you. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    They do serve a useful purpose but I've never been able to put them on / take them off and haven't been given any for either of my THRs or for my knee revision op. All went well.

Sock / stocking aids just won't be up to the job.

Just do your exercises and keep wiggling things. I'm sure all will be well :D
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Hi
    Awful things that they are they do serve a purpose.
    "Passion Killers" :lol:
    I doubt that any aid would be strong enough to help you get them on and off.
    As someone mentioned.....you don't change them every day.
    I had them for my THR's but also had injections so I don't know if you can replace one with the other. They seemed to think I needed both :?
    I have read of district nurses coming in to help
    Once again.....talk to your consultant/doctor/physio

Love
    Hileena
  • Mystic07
    Thanks everyone for your responses. I spoke to the physiotherapist on Friday and she told me to save my money as they have a rather nifty way of putting them on with a plastic bag which she'll show me before I leave hospital. She also said I would get low dose aspirin to take home.

Hope everyone is well and thanks again

Cath xx
  • gretta
    gretta Member Posts: 74
    Mystic07 wrote:
    Thanks everyone for your responses. I spoke to the physiotherapist on Friday and she told me to save my money as they have a rather nifty way of putting them on with a plastic bag which she'll show me before I leave hospital. She also said I would get low dose aspirin to take home.

Hope everyone is well and thanks again

Cath xx

Mystic07

I have just been prescribed these stockings too.
    Would love to know what the rather nifty way of putting them on with a plastic bag is as I am having trouble getting them on.

Gretta
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    :o

Sort of physio-gymnastics? :lol:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • gretta
    Thanks Sharon, that sounds nice & easy if only I had those kind of supports. My supports though don't have a hole at the end, they are all enclosed.

Regards
    Gretta
  • Mystic07
    webmanager wrote:
    Hi Gretta,
    the nifty way of putting these stockings on with the plastic bag is to 1st put the plastic bag over your foot and up your leg then put the stocking on over-the-top and it slides up more easily then poke your foot through the hole at the end of the stocking and pull the plastic down bag out. I hope this makes sense.
    Best wishes
    Sharon

Yes, that's what I was shown. Great idea although no good if you have the ones without holes.

Cath
  • gretta
    Hi Sharon

I got some of those stockings with the hole in the end from my Doctor & with them came a little satin sort of thing which helps a lot to get the stocking on, you just pull it out at the toe as you said. But the next problem is how to get the stocking off again, it isn't easy, do you have a method of getting the stocking off easily.

Regards

Gretta
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Can't say I've tried that adventure, but my mum, who has struggles with gripping and reaching, uses a long handled shoe horn to push off her socks and knee supports.....not sure whether it would be strong enough for more grippy things though...it may be worth a try if you have one (ours cost less than £1 from Ik..).

Deb
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Can we link on here? I saw an amazing sock aid online. I am meant to wear compression tights every day :shock: and I would struggle in the mornings. I can always message you a link?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    Hi Starburst,
    yes please do put a link up if you found something that might be useful, it's always good to share ideas and experiences.
    Best Wishes
    Sharon