I'm off to school

GraceB
GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
edited 29. Nov 2016, 05:10 in Living with Arthritis archive
I've had a letter come through saying I'm to attend "Joint School" on 11th January at the hospital which will be doing my knee replacement. I'm open minded about attending this as, having had one knee replacement already, I have a good idea what is to come, however, I take the view you can always learn something new.

Someone I know who had a hip replacement, went to Joint School one day, she had her pre-op the following day and the surgery was the following week (same hospital). If it's the same for me, all being well I'll have had my knee replacement by end of January. (Don't think it'll be much beyond that as the 18 week NHS referral to treatment to pathway is up before 11th January in any event).

I'll have to make sure I sit up straight and pay attention. I suspect I'll be the one sitting there with a notebook and pen as I always take the view it's best to take notes.

I now anticipate getting the pre-op date and surgery date letters. Makes it all real getting this letter; I know I need this doing but as you know I find the thought daunting as I'm on my own with this surgery and it's going to be a struggle. However, it needs to be done and so therefore it'll be a case of getting on with it.

GraceB
Turn a negative into a positive!

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I know nothing about having new knees but this sounds like a good idea to me: as you say you can always learn something new, yes? I have no idea if this kind of thing is run elsewhere in the country but I hope it helps you. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    Didn't this come up in one of the 'daft' threads when either you DD or Sticky suggested a DIY approach to matters surgical and one of the group also went to joint school so was able to bring his skills to bear?
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Hoe it goes well, Grace. There's always something new to learn even for us old hands.

Daffy - yes, it was prefabkid who was offering his services as a joiner. He didn't seem too keen on operating on himself though :wink:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Now I have heard of this before Grace....not sure where though.... :?

Might have been MIL for her THR...

Ah well. I think the idea was to prepare you for surgery exercise you can do to prepare for the op, what to expect etc. She was on a 'super-fast discharge' scheme where she was supposed to be discharged home within 3 days.

You are right to be open-minded as you are. We can all learn something new can't we and things change.

Best of luck and I hope you'll tell us all about it after 11th January.

Love

Toni xxx

Ps - how's your neck?
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    Thanks for your replies. Yes, we can always learn something new.

Was it Airwave who had a THR recently (and also in my area of Kent) who went to Joint School? With everything that's been going on in my life recently I can't remember. :oops:

GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!