Random aches and pains

Kerrsa
Kerrsa Member Posts: 233
edited 22. Dec 2016, 12:56 in Living with Arthritis archive
After my first visit to rheumy last week, I was diagnosed with inflammatory arthritis in my fingers. stopped taking allopurinol as doc believed I don't have gout and started with meth and folic acid. Apart from headaches on the weekend, have not had side effects except my fingers are more painful than ever before this week and seem to be getting random short stabbing pains in other parts of my body (hip, shoulder, feet) is this normal?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Kerrsa

Hello I don't think I've met you, but welcome from me :)

I don't have much to add but hope the MTX will kick in soon it sounds as though your arthritis is misbehaving at the moment quite a bit :( ((()))

Love

Toni xxx
  • Kerrsa
    Thanks for the welcome.

The rheumatologist didn't specify but said it was similar to ankylosing spondylitis but in the fingers instead of the spine.

I will keep on with the meth and see what happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    There are many kinds of auto-immune arthritis, it can take some time to narrow down which particular 'flavour' it might be but the meds used are the same. I started in 1997 aged 37 and remember in my early days being far more aware of various aches and pains (even though it wasn't recognised as a form of inflammatory arthritis until late 2002) which I had previously ignored: I think we become more aware of what is going on with us once we know what's what and wondering how much can be attributed to the arthritis and how much not.

As far as I am concerned yes, random aches and pains are par for the course but I am much further on and have many more affected joints. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    It is, alas, much too early for the meth to make much difference. I wish it could be otherwise.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Kerrsa
    It's taken 2 years to narrow it down to auto-immune arthritis. What is another few weeks........

• stickywicket
    A very wise attitude. Nothing happens quickly with our meds but, with luck, this will prove the right one for you.

As you have discovered arthritis is a broad term covering many different types. Indeed, 'inflammatory arthritis' is too and many never get beyond that diagnosis but that's OK because the meds are virtually the same whichever type it is.

New pains, here and there, seem very much par for the course. I hope the meth will, in time, change that.
    Steven Wright
  • Kerrsa
    Took dose no 2 last night and was out of it for the whole evening. Could have been the meth, tired from a busy week or a combination of both. Feel more with it this morning with only a mild headache.

The aches and pains continue but hope to go swimming tomorrow. Missed a session earlier in the week as too tired and achy.

• frogmorton
    Kerrsa I hope you feel a bit more yourself today.

Some take their MTX just before bed so they sleep through the worst of it.

Get as much rest as you can and try to eat well today.

Enjoy your swim :)

Love

Toni xx
  • Kerrsa
    Thanks Toni.

Next week will take it slightly later in the evening and then crash for the night.

Very little planned for today, Saturday is my recovery day.

• stickywicket
    That's a good plan :D

To me, it would be a bit soon for meth fatigue to kick in. I still think it's more likely to be the disease or maybe, as you say, a combination. I hope your weekend recovery goes well.
    Steven Wright
  • Kerrsa
    Managed to go swimming, was a bit lethargic in the beginning but got through. Now to recover for the rest of the day before the next busy week starts.

• dreamdaisy
    One of the major effects of an auto-immune arthritis is tiredness, as yours is nowhere near under control as yet this will still be a factor. Even though mine is well-controlled tiredness can still affect me because my body has to work harder to get things done; I'm affected all over the shop but I think you will find the same as we use our hands all the time. DD
  • Kerrsa
    Thanks for all your advice DD. I've suffered from tiredness or fatigue for a good 5 years now, probably auto-immune related without me knowing it. I've always been active (tennis coach for many years and played competitively until earlier this year when the hands said no more)and have an active job, so have had to learn to pace myself.

• Kerrsa
    Just had my first monitoring blood test. But seemed to have picked up a cold which I'm not pleased about, any idea if I can take lemsip while on meth?

Plan on calling hospital hotline later as have a few other questions including my GP not having received any details about new meds.

• stickywicket
    Definitely check with your helpline.

However, the main problem will probably be taking Lemsip alongside either paracetamol or cocodamol - or indeed any other meds that contain paracetamol. It's all too easy to overdose on it and damage the kidneys. Just don't exceed the recommended daily dose of paracetamol whichever way you're getting it. And don't wash your paracetamol / cocos down with Lemsip.

I always skip my my meth if I think I'm going down with something but I'm many years in with this. If in doubt check with the helpline.
    Steven Wright
  • Kerrsa
    Thanks Sharon. Will keep you updated.

Unfortunately I work in a school and there are many bugs doing the rounds at the moment. Ask me, I'm in charge of arranging cover for absent colleagues among many other things. Hopefully the cold stays mild, but I'm prone to suffering from prolonged colds.

• stickywicket
    The DMARDS work by dampening down our over-active immune systems so we are more prone to bugs of any kind and to them hanging around once they've arrived. Lots of hand hygiene helps. I keep antibac gel in the home and the car.
    Steven Wright
  • frogmorton
    Hi Kerrsa :)

Sorry you have caught a cold :( ya booh! I hope it is easing.

I tend to check with the pharmacist about taking over the counter remedies like lemsip.

I have to agree with Sharon though - chec with your rheumatology team before skipping an MTX dose. In your case if you have prolonged colds especially I would think.

If it helps at all, when my youngest was having her leukaemia treatment, (taking MTX amongst other things and not allowed paracetamol), I used to make her hot lemon with honey and fresh lemon juice. It's still soothing???

Love

Toni xxx
  • Kerrsa
    Haven't spoken to anyone yet but feeling ok today. Slightly tickly throat and headache but hopefully it doesn't develop any further. Using anti bac on hands to try keep away any nasty germs.

• dreamdaisy
    Hello again, I agree with the advice you have received; my hospital always advocated my stopping my immuno-suppressant meds until the infection had cleared (and I do) but I am an old hand at this. Personally I do not take Lemsip because I need to maintain my intake of 30/500 cocodamol so I can carry on as best I can.

I loved playing tennis, I had a Steffi Graff forehand, a rubbish backhand and a Frankie Durr (sp?) serve so never made it beyond playing in the park with me mates on a Friday night but heck, it was fun! One of the mates played for the Suffolk County team and his backhand was a thing of glory (well, it was for me). Give me a one-handed backhand every time, the sweep and elegance is superb. DD
  • Kerrsa
    Thanks DD. Left a message on the hospital advice line so hope they reply tomorrow. But the cold seems ok at the moment and managed to go swimming tonight (replacement for tennis)

• Kerrsa
    Had a call back from the nurse today. She says I should be able to take meth just as long as there's no fever or antibiotics. And the cold is not too bad at all now, so meth dose no 3 tonight.

And swimming on Sunday although it does tire me.

• stickywicket
    Good. I hope it all goes to plan.
    Steven Wright
  • Kerrsa
    Meth taken on Friday night, folic acid today, cold still ok but have been quite tired today.

• dreamdaisy
    Tiredness is part-and-parcel of this dross, I've been tired for far too many years but then I've had arthritis for far too many years. Yes, it's controlled by the meds but my OA and fibro are not, and both contribute to making life harder than I would wish. I look back to the halcyon days of one affected knee joint, I wish I'd known then how easy life actually was!

Swimming is good for us because it does not stress the joints as much as land-based stuff but you would be wise not to push yourself too hard: your are working, just starting the meds and things are not yet under proper control. I understand this must be so hard for you but I am sure things will improve given time. DD