Is this fusing?

GraceB
GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
edited 26. Nov 2016, 10:35 in Living with Arthritis archive
Want to pick your brains please if you've had joints self-fuse.

I was told 18 months or so ago that my left ankle needed to be fused, but wanted to put the op off as long as I could, naturally. I'm now getting more and more deep pain within the joint (probably the subtalar area I suspect) and at the rear of the heel itself. I'm now wondering if my ankle is trying to fuse itself? At times I'm struggling to weight bear on this and it's also giving way underneath me.

As some of you may recall, there was a race on between my left knee and left ankle as to which would get me into the operating theatre first. Well the left knee won that race, :!: but I'm now starting to wonder what's going on with the ankle?

Thoughts please. Thanks.

GraceB
Turn a negative into a positive!

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I wish I could help, Grace, but I can't. Both my ankles, both wrists and several finger and toe joints have fused themselves but I don't recall any particulars of the pain. When my ankles were busy fusing themselves I'd already had to wear surgical shoes for some years, as much for my feet as ankles, and also a caliper on one leg to try to keep it straight. I remember the pain but I couldn't tell you exactly where it was. It seemed to be everywhere.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • trepolpen
    trepolpen Member Posts: 504
    hi Grace , thought my right ankle was fusing , was wearing brace to totally immobilise it , at time was 18 month waiting list for surgery but was still getting pain in it so endded up having the joint done

talk to your rheumy team , they can always x-ray it , one thing they did for my other ankle was put a anesthetic into the subtalar under x-ray & it will tell you the benifits from having that joint fused & which joint is causing you the main problems in your ankle ,
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    Thanks for the replies. After I posted, I realised I'd not said I have OA. My range of movement with my left ankle is now substantially restricted compared to my right ankle. Suspect it'll be a chat with the GP to be told it's the OA on the march again. Oh well, such is life. Lots of people worse off!

GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    I don't see that it makes any difference whether it's OA or RA because, by the time joints fuse, the RA has ushered in OA .

The essential thing, as I see it, about joints fusing is to ensure, as far as possible, that they fuse correctly at the right angle. Thanks to wrists splints my wrists fused in the straight – most useful – position and I guess the fact that I could only walk in surgical shoes probably aided my ankle fusions. At any rate the orthopaedic surgeon was impressed, saying he couldn't have done a better job himself.

If you're intending to leave them to fuse themselves I'd have a word with your orthopaedic chap. X-rays might show how likely it is that they will fuse correctly or if they'll need a helping hand.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Grace sorry I can help, I know they say joints fuse, I am still waiting for my thumbs to do so..but not a clue what it feels like maybe its time to get something done about it.
    Love
    Barbara