Post ALIF recovery frustrations!!

nearlybionic
nearlybionic Member Posts: 1,899
edited 5. Dec 2016, 13:47 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi
I am now 8 weeks post anterior lumbar interbody fusion (ALIF) surgery. I have noticed a standstill in my progress over the past few weeks and I am getting very frustrated! I still have not been seen for a post op follow up appointment, despite me ringing them a few times, I am now told it may be in the New Year, not the 6 weeks that I had been told on discharge. I am very disappointed with this , as I don`t know if the fusion is healing as it should, or if my pain is normal for now??I also asked her if I could be seen or speak to a physio there, but was told no. Very helpful , not! I asked my GP to refer me to the local wellbeing service who help with personal exercise programmes. I rang them to see when I would be seen, only to be told they are having a restructure and it will be the New Year.
So I rang my poor GP again to ask for a referral to the local physio service, and I am hoping to attend a drop in clinic for physio this week. But am not happy that I haven`t been seen post op before physio.
I am still having back pain, into my hip, and legs. But is this normal ?? My feet are very painful, especially after rest then standing. Oh and my right shoulder is painful and clicking. I couldn`t raise it a few days ago, so have been icing/heat treating it. I can`t take any NSAIDs due to fusion surgery, but think they would help.
sorry for long moaning post!!!
NB

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello, I cannot help at all but I do recall the post-op frustrations and the feeling of being 'abandoned' by those who shouldn't.

Post-op progress is as individual as we are but I know from experience that it can be a lengthy process, and I think should be because surgery of any kind is a shock for the body; in your case it's been a very big shock. Keep doing what you have been doing, make sure you rest, eat well and drink plenty, keep chasing people up so they don't forget you and I hope you see someone sooner rather than later. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • nearlybionic
    Hi Sharon,
    Thanks for your reply and information. I have already found the Facebook page, and it has been helpful. I hadn`t seen the hospital page, and thanks it is good to read. Unfortunately my hospital has no info on the ALIF on it`s website, and I wasn`t given any written info. He just said look online, which to be honest is not the most helpful advice!! Hey how! I will have my say when I see him!
    NB
  • nearlybionic
    Hi DD
    sorry I must have been looking at Sharon`s links and missed your post.
    I agree , and my rational mind knows these things take time, but as I had another telephone call from my manager today and have a telephone consultation with Occ Health next week, I feel like I should have more to tell them!! :lol: I went in the pool earlier, no heroics, just a bit of walking, floating and a few exercises I remember from hydrotherapy. I was only in for 20 mins ,but am shattered and acheing now.
    Thanks for your reply x
    NB
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Oh NB I really feel for you, we wait in hope for the 6 weeks checkup, but they have let you down, could you not get on to pals they have been a good help when I have used them..its just not fair to leave you like this..no wonder you are frustrated..I do hope you can get an appointment soon then a least you can ask all the questions..good luck and please let us know if you do get to see them..xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Ouch ouch ouch!!

Nearly I am sure you are doing just fine - I went back to work after back surgery at about 9 weeks. I had no choice as I was single parent to 2 small girls at the time. I went back phased though and every night was in bed at 8 with the girls.

It started to 'come together' about then. Not before. I was in tears most nights and super dosed up. I went on the theory that if it wasn't worsening things I would have to do it.

That was before they 'hassled' you so much from work :( I think you would feel happier if you could 'give them something' a date. I will be seeing the Dr on the??? I'll know more then sort of thing.

Has you rGP given you a sick-note yet? If so maybe that will fend them off a bit even if part of the reason they are ringing is kindness. Ask about using nsaid gel on your shoulder too. Lucy isn't allowed nsaids after her leukaemia, but is allowed the gel??

I am sending you lots of ((()))

Love

Toni xxx
  • nearlybionic
    Hi Toni
    Yes my GP has signed me off until after Christmas as I was told my appointment would be mid to late December, but now been told New Year.
    I have been to the Spinal physio clinic today and had a long initial assessment. He wants to contact my surgeon to get my surgery notes . He did a full neuro examination and said he did not want to give any exercises until he hears from the surgeon. I asked about the pool and he said no swimming but I could walk in the pool until he advises otherwise. I see him again in 2 weeks.
    Thanks for your reply. Hope Lucy is doing ok x
    NB
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Hi NB,Sorry I can't help as Ive not had any kind of surgery but I am thinking of you and sending hugs (((()))) Mig
  • nearlybionic
    HI Mig
    Thanks for your reply. I love this site for the support from others.
    Take care
    NB
  • nearlybionic
    HI
    Just an update on me. I have been having problems with my ears and went deaf suddenly last week. My GP prescribed some drops , but they have not helped yet. Yesterday Mr NB took me off to UCC and I was diagnosed with an ear infection and prescribed antibiotics. The ear thing is affecting my balance and is getting on my family's nerves as I have the TV so loud :lol:
    I am trying to keep moving but get a lot of back pain still when on my feet for a while, or walking . But I am still going walking as much as I can cope with.
    NB
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Oh heck, not your hearing? It's a difficult area, I'm living with a man whose hearing is on the wane thanks to a 'rocking' youth. He says (with some irritation) 'WHAT?' when I've not said a word and doesn't answer when I have asked / said something. Anyhoo, that's nothing to do with you or your concerns.

The bother we all confront is that other health troubles occur despite the battles we are already facing. This is the time of year for bugs and infections but well done to Mr NB for taking you to UCC and I hope the anti-bios help. I'm not surprised that back pain is a factor when you are standing, gravity is not our friend is it? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • nearlybionic
    HI DD
    Gravity is definitely not my friend in so many ways !! :lol::lol: So much is heading south on my body as a result :roll:
    NB