TKR - Knee movement

Mystic07
Mystic07 Member Posts: 19
edited 16. Dec 2016, 03:19 in Living with Arthritis archive
I had a TKR 10 days ago. In general what should my degree of bend be?

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    As much as you can manage in with comfort and perhaps one or two extra if possible; as you progress with the recovery and doing the exercises it should improve. After my huge open synovectomies my physio told me to ignore targets because the damage to my muscles etc. was extremely deep plus I was seeing other patients in the treatment area and gym who had had straightforward replacements and were weeks and months ahead in terms of recovery. It's best to achieve what you can rather than set yourself impossible goals, but it is hard in the early days when you are at home and possibly feeling rather lonely with it all - don't forget we are here.

Ten days in is very early doors - it takes years for a TKR to be 'earned' and, as fairly major surgery, it certainly ain't gonna be a quick fix. I wish you very well, keep up your good work and please let us know how you get on. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Mystic07
    Thanks DD, I have been doing well since the operation but maybe I'm just a bit impatient. Unfortunately I'm one of those people who want instant results :oops: I probably need to reign in my enthusiasm without losing motivation. Thanks so much for responding. It's good to know that there are people out there who understand

Cath x
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I am pleased to hear that you have been doing well since the op, that is good news. I think (truth be told) that many are impatient patients (we've had a few on here, believe you me) but surely that is human nature. I admit I cannot recall your exact arthritic circumstances but am I right in thinking you live on your own? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Relax. Seriously. Just do your exercises as prescribed, rest, ice if necessary and then take things easy.

I've had three TKRs, the first two in 1981 and I still have one of those. Certainly we have to push through the pain barrier a bit but while remembering that there's an awful lot of healing to go on inside.

When do you see your surgeon / physio again? They'll tell you what they want. We're all different. We recover at different rates and to different extents. I do firmly believe that the two most successful ways of ruiming a good TKE are (a)to not do the exercises sufficiently and (b)to try to do too much too soon.

It's not a race or a competition. Go for long term results not a quick fix. I hope yours is as good as all mine have been.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Mystic07
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    I am pleased to hear that you have been doing well since the op, that is good news. I think (truth be told) that many are impatient patients (we've had a few on here, believe you me) but surely that is human nature. I admit I cannot recall your exact arthritic circumstances but am I right in thinking you live on your own? DD

Hello, yes I do live on my own which is probably why I was so determined to progress quickly. Have decided to do what Stickywicket says and be a bit more relaxed about it.

Thanks

Cath
  • Mystic07
    Relax. Seriously. Just do your exercises as prescribed, rest, ice if necessary and then take things easy.

I've had three TKRs, the first two in 1981 and I still have one of those. Certainly we have to push through the pain barrier a bit but while remembering that there's an awful lot of healing to go on inside.

When do you see your surgeon / physio again? They'll tell you what they want. We're all different. We recover at different rates and to different extents. I do firmly believe that the two most successful ways of ruiming a good TKE are (a)to not do the exercises sufficiently and (b)to try to do too much too soon.

It's not a race or a competition. Go for long term results not a quick fix. I hope yours is as good as all mine have been.

Thankyou. You are absolutely right and I'm trying to be a bit more relaxed about things and listen to my body. Staples out now and incision looking very neat. Physio on Tuesday and walking/bending reasonably well. Thankyou for your advice.

Cath
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hello Mystic07
    Sorry I am a hip person but I do know that everyone's so different..I do wish you a speedy recovery..
    Love
    Barbara
  • Helenbothknees
    Helenbothknees Member Posts: 487
    I had a bilateral TKR (ie both knees) over 4 years ago. I'm a lot like you sound, ie pretty gungho about it all. However, I agree with everything that's been said. Do the exercises, but learn to listen to your body, and know when enough is enough and it's time to stop. No-one else can really tell you how to do that that, as everyone is different. I was often told on here that I was overdoing things, but looking back, I very rarely was actually. But it does all take time, lots of time. Good luck!
  • Trayguy
    Trayguy Member Posts: 38
    I had a TKR 7 weeks ago and I like you worried it wasn't bending enough. I just kept on doing the excercises I was given and slowly I started seeing an improvement. I would say it took about 6 weeks before I started to feel like it had all been worth it. At last I could sleep on my side - bliss!!!
    Good luck with your recovery.
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Hi
    The physiotherapist measured my bend at 3 weeks post op and was very pleased because it was ninety five degrees.
    I was surprised because I had four blood transfusions in hospital and the previous week when I saw her I was getting dressed after an examination and some exercises and it started bleeding, over the floor, my trousers my legs....everywhere. So you can see why I was so pleased.......I did no exercises the previous week. The district nurse and the consultant /surgeon both said take it easy for a week.
    ANYWAY what I started to say was DONT COMPARE. I learned this during my first hip replacement. I was told by different people how well their friend was doing at my stage etc etc
    I felt really miserable..........so I refuse to compare myself to others {including me} We all heal at our own rate. Just ice and exercise and you will get there but it is annoying not knowing how well you are doing
    Do you have a physiotherapist appointment soon?
    Ask her to measure it and ask her how you are doing
    That's the only thing I can suggest.

Love
    Hileena