Nice to meet you all.

Audrey49
Audrey49 Member Posts: 7
edited 8. Dec 2016, 15:23 in Say Hello Archive
Hello. I just want to introduce myself to everyone one and share my story.
I only heard yesterday that the X-Ray I had two weeks ago came back showing that I have hip osteoarthritis. I'm obviously not happy with the result but I am relieved to finally get a diagnosis. For almost a year now I have had aches and pains in in the front of my thighs when walking. Firstly it was only going up slopes but overtime it progressed to even flat surfaces. I didn't actually feel pain in my hip so my doctor began to wonder if it was referred pain and arranged for the X-Ray.
I know very little about osteoarthritis so I was happy to find this website and forum. I have a lot to find out so thank you for all the help, advice and support that is obviously available here.
Bye for now.
Audrey

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Welcome to Arthritis Care Forums, Audrey49 , from the moderation team.

I am sorry to hear of your very recent diagnosis, but very pleased you have found Arthritis Care.

As you will already have seen we have some great members using the boards, many have OA like yourself. I am sure you will get lots of support and information from them.

As moderators we are here to help with any problems you may have using the message boards so feel free to send us a message if you need to.

Please do join in wherever you like, you will be made very welcome.

I look forward to seeing you posting on the boards.

Best wishes

Ellen
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hello, it's nice to meet you but I am sorry you have had to find us. I too have OA, it affects both ankles, both knees, both hips and some other bits too but I am twenty years in with so somewhat ahead of you! it is a shock being told what's what but you will be under the care of your GP; mine prescribes pain relief and anti-inflammatory medication and he may also refer you to physiotherapy - exercise of the right kind can help to keep our muscles stronger so they better support the joint. I hope you find the forum to be of interest, rest assured you are talking to the (reluctantly) initiated, we know our stuff. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • TheLordFlasheart
    TheLordFlasheart Member Posts: 302
    Hello and welcome to the forums,

I too live with OA (left knee), and was only diagnosed 3 years ago, and like yourself I had knew very little when diagnosed, it was just "you got OA" and that was all.

After finding these forums I've learnt a lot in how to cope, what to expect and generally how to live day to day with OA.

It can feel daunting and at times be a struggle, but were here to listen/help whenever you need.
    "Stoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast"
  • Audrey49
    Audrey49 Member Posts: 7
    Thank you all for your warm welcome. I'm so pleased to have found this forum especially after the off handed way I felt my doctor treated my diagnosis yesterday when I had my first appointment. Maybe he was having a worse day than me!
    :)
    Take care
    Audrey