Amitriptyline

Options
mig
mig Member Posts: 7,154
edited 28. Dec 2016, 04:43 in Living with Arthritis archive
During a visit to my gp this morning (just to sort bloods) I happened to mention that I've not been sleeping very well not really because of pain but because I'm so restless sometimes I'm on the move all night my legs are twitching and I just toss and turn so she has prescribed a 10mg amitriptyline,I know that a lot of folk on here are on these, do you all get on with them,do they take a time to help ,she said take them around 8 o'clock. Mig

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Sorry Mig, I've not taken these but I know they have helped many people; yes, it is best to take them earlier in the evening so they have time to settle into your system before going to be, this also alleviates the possible 'hungover' feeling the next morning. Good luck, I hope you sleep better. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • lynnemarie1123
    lynnemarie1123 Member Posts: 295
    Options
    Hey, I'm on amitriptyline 10mg too.

TBH I find it works, however I've found it's better if I don't take it all the time.

I struggle to work and function the next day. It can make your mouth dry and does feel a bit like a hang over the day after. 10mg is the lowest gram.

I save my amitrip to when my body can't cope on less than 5 hours sleep for a few days running. I deffo make one of my weekend days a amitrip day xx

Good luck to you x
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    I've been on them a while now and take 80mg, yep a lot but I've been on them several years now and had to keep increasing the dose because I became immune to the lower doses.
    It does take a while to kick in but when it does it helps you sleep.
    Yes when you wake up 1st thing it takes you a good hour to start feeling awake! But it's worth it when you need something to help you get off to sleep. :D
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Options
    Hi Mig,

I've been on Amiltriptylene for a while now and was prescribed them for waking headaches. I take 20mg before bed, they're not much help with the headaches but they make me sleep well. I've had no side effects at all. I love my little 'blue' pill :shock: :D

Love,
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • Megrose2
    Megrose2 Member Posts: 331
    Options
    I take 25mg of Nortriptyline (a sister drug) for arthritic pain, fibromyalgia and restless legs. They work well for me. I was told by a rheumatologist to take them 12 hours before you wanted to get up, if you want to avoid the 'hangover' feeling in the morning. I take mine at 6pm and I feel fine in the morning.

Meg
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,417
    Options
    First time I took one, (25mg), I didn't wake up till 2pm the following day!!

Now I take them no later than 8pm, (if not a little earlier), and can get on as normal in the morning. Mouth not noticeably drier etc.

I hope they help you Mig :)

Love

Toni xxx
  • mig
    Options
    Thank all for your replies,I must admit I took them with trepidation after reading some peoples reactions ,the first night i can't say i slept any better but last night I slept from about half past 10 till 7 when the heating came on this morning,so far so good.
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    That's sounding good, I hope you soon start to feel the benefit of sleeping better. DD
  • creakyjoints
    creakyjoints Member Posts: 16
    Options
    Hi Mig, I've been taking 10mg of amitriptyline several nights a week for donkeys years. Like everyone else I find it best to take it 4 hours or more before I want to go to sleep. It helps to stop me waking up so much with pain in the night too (possibly because I don't thrash around so much in my sleep!) The only side effect that I've noticed is that it seems to make me slightly more prone to migraine auras (where I get visual disturbances that are not followed by much of a headache) next day. I think they work less well on me than they used to though so I'm trying to take them less often.
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi Sorry I don't take them but I know they have helped loads of people on here.
    I was offered them for the same reason {ages ago} I couldn't sleep. They were offered as a muscle relaxant. The only thing is they clash with some other tablets I take so I had to say No Thanks. It sounds as if you have got off to a good start with them
    Long may it continue.

Good luck Mig
    Love
    Hileena
  • applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621
    Options
    I took them for 2 months to help me sleep. I found they were great for the first month but didn't help during the second month. I'm thinking of asking for another prescription as I'm not sleeping much again. I can't remember any side affects.
    Christine
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Hello Mig, we are a few days on now, how are things going? Is it helping? DD
  • mig
    Options
    I have been having a good nights sleep since taking it ,I'm just on 10mg with the option to up it to 20mg but at the moment I'm doing good on the 10.