Glucosamine - what do most OA sufferers think?

creakyjoints
creakyjoints Member Posts: 16
edited 26. Dec 2016, 17:00 in Living with Arthritis archive
I have taken a high dose of glucosamine for probably about 15 years and had always thought that it helped and was the reason I have kept functioning so well. Now the more I read the more I realise there is no objective research to support it being any use (except very possibly for knees). I'm now wondering if I have been wasting my money all these years and should try stopping. I would be interested to know what others think.

Comments

• trepolpen
    trepolpen Member Posts: 504
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I used to take it & thought it helped but could never be 100% sure , if you are happy keep taking it

only thing was I also used to take St John's Wort to help with depression & not knowing it interacts with Methotrexate so think everyone should check with their medical team before trying any complementary therapies
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I've always associated glucosamine with possibly helping to relieve the symptoms of OA rather than the auto-immune kinds of arthritis. Before I knew what was going on with me (back in 1998, the halcyon days of only one affected knee) I tried it for six months, difference came there none. I have OA now thanks to the damage caused by the PsA but my rheumatologist says no and my GP is dismissive. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • creakyjoints
    I meant to write OA - not sure if I can edit original post. No it looks as if you can't once someone has replied. If any moderators look at this please could you edit it??
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    Hi - happy to help,cant see where you want OA put,is it to replace something?
    Al
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    If I remember rightly - always a dodgy prospect x:wink: - it used to be prescribed sometimes for OA but subsequent research didn't support it being of any real use so it is no longer available on prescription.

Mr SW has taken it for years in the belief that that, plus his daily cod liver oil capsule, enable him to continue to play golf. My guess is that it might help people like him ie essentially fit but with a bit of a hip or knee problem but not those with 'proper' OA. (People come on here protesting that their OA has been termed 'wear and tear' by their GP. Mr SW, by contrast, refuses to countenance that he might have OA. It's just a bit of wear and tear x:roll: )

I believe there is evidence that a daily cod liver oil supplement can help OA but I don't know what strength they need to be.

(Trepolpen is right, by the way. If taking any supplements alongside prescribed meds do run it past your GP or pharmacist to check for interactions.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    Hello Mod Al, it's nice to meet you and thank you for being there. I think the 'fault' lies with the title and I hope that can be amended.

Creaky, there is a window of opportunity for correcting a post but it's not there for long - and is lost if you log out. DD
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    Hi, years ago I was taking glucosamine with chronditin but wasn't sure if it was working. A physio who was treating me at the time said to stop taking it for a month, if the pain, etc., worsened it was working and resume taking it. If things didn't change don't bother with that supplement as it was a waste of money. I stopped taking it and nothing changed. I saved my money. 'Nuff said?

I do take 1000mg Cod Liver Oil every day (in capsule form). On the occasions I run out or have to stop taking it when I'm heading to surgery, within 3 days I'm a lot stiffer. Therefore I keep the cod liver oil going in regularly.

I have, however, checked with both my GP and pharmacist that the cod liver oil doesn't interfere with my prescribed medication. Happily, it doesn't.

For clarity's sake, I have OA in both knees, both ankles, lumbar spine and cervical spine.

Hope this helps.

GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • creakyjoints
    Thanks for your replies, Mod Al - yes OA instead of RA in original question. When I ran out once for a few weeks I seemed worse but it could have either been coincidence or in my head. It's a pity no properly long term studies have been done. It is quite expensive really so I think I will try stopping for a while but I quite wish I hadn't read all the research stuff because a placebo effect is still an effect! I may go back to cod liver oil (or something said cod body oil is better but I've never seen that) because there seems to be more evidence for that helping. I stopped that years ago because someone told me it did something bad to your kidneys or liver - I can't remember which.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    a placebo effect is still an effect!

I rather like that idea :D

Re cod liver oil. Still check first with your pharmacist. I think they can interact with some meds - maybe for BP.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    Sorry, just seen this. Al left me a message about this but I haven't called into the forums for a couple of days.

Main Title changed, but previously posted replies will still quote the original.

Cheers
    Brynmor
  • Amble
    Amble Member Posts: 32
    It seems to be yet another of those things which is personal. It either works for you or it doesn't. It didn't work for me at all. Had no helpful effect.
    Then again, I'm not at all sure that Paracetamiol does anything either.
    I hope you find something which works for you and alleviates pain.
    Happy Christmasgift_clip_art_free_20121124_1579055616.gif
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Hi,
    This is one of these things that people have disagreements about.
    My opinion is it could be a placebo effect ...So What......if you have had ANY relieve from it I would say you aren't wasting your money.
    If I found a placebo for any of my aches or pains I wouldn't worry I would take it anyway :wink: as long as it wasn't contraindicated with any of my other meds.
    Good Luck
    Love
    Hileena
  • dreamdaisy
    I think there is such a thing as the placebo effect and to my way of thinking it demonstrates the power of thought. I recently ran out of my 30/500 cocos so had to 'resort' (as I saw it) to the OTC version which is a mere 14/500 (and came with the appropriate lecture from the dispenser and at vast expense in comparison to the prescribed stuff). Did I spot a difference in effectiveness? Initially I thought so but after a couple of days not one jot. DD