Any inventors out there?

Amble
Amble Member Posts: 32
edited 28. Dec 2016, 06:19 in Living with Arthritis archive
Enjoyed making my mince pies BUT... although we have a small dishwasher for most things ( not) a 2 legged one!) it's absolutely agonising trying to wring out the dish cloth when I washed the baking tins. :(
Anyone know of any pain free way to wring out wet cloths?
happy new year toast

Comments

• scattered
    scattered Member Posts: 326
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I loop the cloth round the tap, take one end and twist it round the other, and keep going until it will twist no further. The cloth wrings itself out with minimal hand pressure!

Also works with clothes that must be hand washed, wet swimming costumes and tie-dye activities.
  • Amble
    I shall be trying that asap. Many thanks x:|
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Oh this takes me back! I used to have dish cloths but, knowing that they harboured more germs than was healthy (despite a weekly wash at 90 degrees) I stopped using them. I now use our inherited dishwasher on a regular basis and and will not be parted from my F**ry Pl*t*n*m washing up liquid for soaking baked-on nonsense. I have disposable sponges to rinse plates and pans, and to clean the soaked things. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Amble
    so do you use disposable sponges to wipe over the work tops etc?
    Isn't that an expensive way of doing it?:o
    I find that Vanish Powder is brilliant for soaking any stained dish cloths. Works miracles.
    I'm a bit of an OCD in the kitchen. But hands and wrists are really objecting lately.
  • dreamdaisy
    The sponges are the yellow ones with the green non-stick-safe scrubby layer and they cost £1 for 10; they last me for around a month so I think that's a reasonable expense. The worktops are cleaned every evening with Fl*sh and a microfiber cloth and during the day with anti-bac spray and kitchen towel. On Saturday mornings every plug hole in the house is treated with soda crystals and hot water. Vanish may remove stains but so does bleach (which is much cheaper).

We each have our ways, don't we? Yesterday I visited a friend who was boiling (for ten minutes) and then simmering (for fifty) a large amount of butter beans in a huge pan on her electric hob. I asked why she hadn't bought three tins and she said that was more costly. Really? DD
  • Amble
    As you say, we do all have our ways, sometimes weird ones! My daughter is always laughing at mine!
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Hi Amble,

I put my cloth/sponge and the edge of the sink and pull backwards so it's the edge of the sink squeezing the water out. If my fingers are too painful to do this I put the cloth/sponge on the draining board and press down with my forearm.

I use a cheap sponge for dishes the type DD describes and for the worktops I use Spongetex Multipurpose cloths which I cut into quarters as I find the smaller the cloth the easier on my hands. These don't carry too much water and are super-absorbent for spills.

I also have a dishwasher but there always stuff that doesn't go in there.

Hope this helps.

Love,
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • dreamdaisy
    Legs, firstly hello, it's lovely to see you and, secondly, thank you. I too have the Spontex spongs and never once have I thought about cutting them in half or quarters. What an idiot, yes? I use them for cleaning the electric hob (I am so pleased we inherited one of those when we moved here, I was determined to miss my gas rings but I soon realised induction was far easier to maintain).

I hope you had a lovely Christmas with the family and grandchildren. DD
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Thank you DD :D

I hope the cloths are easier for you once cut up
    e010.gif

We are certainly enjoying Christmas, hope you are too.

Love,
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Amble, have you seen our 'Ideas to make life easier' thread fairly near the top? It's full of good tips :D
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Amble
    No I haven't and thanks so much Sticky Wicket for pointing it out. I will go sea :snowplow: rching