ALMOST 6 WEEKS POST OP

Options
hileena111
hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
edited 3. Jan 2017, 08:26 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi,
Well, I am 6 weeks post op on Friday.
That's when I can drive again. Wish me luck please.

When I had my THR's done, both of them , I stopped driving the day before my operation. Then 6 weeks. I went back to driving.

This time like I say I'm 6 weeks post op but before that I had stopped driving a long time before the operation. I would say I had stopped driving 6 weeks before the op, and eased off about 4 weeks before that. This is because my knee was bone rubbing on bone and it was really sore and I just couldn't drive.
So its a long time since I've been driving and I didn't learn to drive until I was in my late 40's :shock:

So to say I haven't got a great deal of confidence is an understatement :lol:

Love
Hileena

Comments

• GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hileena,

You'll be fine. Take things easy to start with.

Whenever I've resumed driving after an op I've done it in stages.
    Stage 1 - can I get into the driver's seat - and out again?
    Stage 2 - go up and down my drive - felt like a prat but it was a good place to start.
    Stage 3 - drive up and down the road in front of my home.
    Stage 4 - drove round the block.
    Stage 5 - drove to the nearest corner shop and back.
    Then gradually extended the driving time and distance. Always had my late partner with me so he could take over if I got to my destination but didn't feel up to driving back. Always went out when it was quiet - never in rush hour traffic.

Try getting in and out of the drivers seat between now and Friday as that'll give you a good idea. Please make sure though that if this is your right knee (and therefore your "brake" leg) you can do an emergency stop.

Please let us know how you get on.

GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • hileena111
    Options
    Hi
    Thanks Grace,
    That is more or less what I was planning. Have been getting in and out and pressing pedals. We haven't really got a block to go round so driving to our Co Op and round the car park and home is my first proper drive and that's not far. I'll take it from there
    Depends on how I feel. I might try the same drive later on that day I might not :lol:
    BUT as for having OH with me......NO CHANCE :lol: He was a driving instructor at one time whereas I didn't learn to drive until I was in my 40's
    At one time he used to criticise but he knows not to say anything now but I can still feel him tensing if I'm doing something that he doesn't think is right. :roll:
    I'm much better off on my own, crutches in the back, mobile with me and him at home where I can ring him if I get stuck. I wont be that far away :lol:
    Love
    Hileena
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,414
    Options
    Which leg did you have done Hileena?

If it's the right then you'd do well to take the advice I was given after back surgery....

don't drive until you would happily STAMP your foot on the floor :shock:

That was my consultant's advice to me anyway and good advice as we must be able to stop in an emergency.

I so hope you get back driving soon. It's dreadful not being able to isn't it?

Love

Toni xxx
  • hileena111
    Options
    Hi Toni
    That's good advice from your consultant.
    The only thing that has hurt me up to now {physio doing stuff} is I've been using the pedals and that's fine but today when I tried the bike that was sore as my knee bent going round. Ohhh!!! We tried it twice and it was just the same so I have a few other exercises to strengthen those muscles.
    I mentioned driving to her and she said well if you can do an emergency stop that's fine. Take it small bits at a time. I will. She said the movement of cycling was completely different to pushing pedals down.
    It's typical isn't it.....it was my right knee :roll:
    I'll get there no matter how slowly.
    Peter doesn't mind driving me about but I do x:roll:
    I'll remember your consultants advice....Thanks Toni
    Love
    Hileena
  • TheLordFlasheart
    TheLordFlasheart Member Posts: 302
    Options
    Best of luck with your recovery Hileena, not much I can add as I've yet to have any surgery (and hopefully not for a long time yet).
    "Stoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast"
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,414
    Options
    Typical Hileena it would have to the the right one!!! x:roll:

Physio is right it is the emergency stop which counts and I know you are hilly where you are aren't you?

The bike movement- gosh I can see why that might hurt a lot - ouch!

You are doing great - won't be long until Peter is sacked as chauffeur!!!

Love

Toni xxx
  • hileena111
    Options
    Hi
    Thanks for the replies
    Hopefully you wont have to face surgery at all :wink:

Toni.........It is typical that it would be my right knee. Yes it is hilly here......there are going to be not hill starts for a long time :lol:

Oh when I think back to that bike movement I still shudder.
    I wont be doing that again in a hurry.

I cant wait until Peter is sacked as a chauffer :wink: Although it will be a long time. If I can do local runs for a while I'll be happy

Love
    Hileena
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Are your insurers aware that you have had a TKR? If not you may discover (if you are involved in an incident) your insurance could be invalid. When I had my surgeries (not replacements) I was then paying for my insurance on a monthly basis: I told them I was off the road, my instalments were reduced to £5 a month until I had the all-clear from the physios. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • hileena111
    Options
    Hi DD
    Sorry Just saw this message.

As far as my insurers are concerned........The website says if I have had an operation {doesn't specify what kind} I don't need to contact them. As long as my doctor gives me the go ahead its OK.
    My physiotherapist has given me the go ahead and my consultant has said as long as I can do an emergency stop he's happy.
    So that's it. I've only had a couple of short drives because the weather has been dreadful. I'll get there. I'm in no great rush.

Love
    Hileena