Reducing my hours

Options
TheLordFlasheart
TheLordFlasheart Member Posts: 302
I never thought this day would come, but I've decided to reduce my working hours at work.

The main reason beng my feeling of fatigue when my OA decides to always be on, and I simply do not have the energy levels to get thought the day. My type of job requires me to concentrate all the time, as mistakes can be costly (I work in mortgages, so you can imagine how hard/stressful it can be).

For now I'm going to reduce my working day by just 1 hour, still work 5 days and see how that goes. Its not a decision I have mad lightly, I've been thinking about tnis for a while now and talked with colleagues and family.

I put the request into my manager today, and will find out this week if it gets the go ahead or not.

Alastair
"Stoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast"

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I hope your manager is OK with it. It seems a very sensible solution to me. We have to concede the minor battles in order to hang on to what's really important. Good luck with it.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • TheLordFlasheart
    Options
    My manager is okay with this, it just needs to by given the okay by the centre manager.

I never thought it would come to this, but I've come to realise its in my best interests, and will keep me in work (which I want to).

Will keep you all updated.
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Options
    I think you're being very sensible. I know how hard it can be to make this decision but I'm now in my second year of working part time ( I had to reduce down more than you and work three days a week) and it was the right decision for me.

Are you aware that employees are now allowed by law to apply for something called flexible working which is effectively asking for a reduction in hours. I was advised by my union to go down this route and I involved my union rep in the process as there was some negotiation and compromise (on both sides involved ), it really helped and importantly as a worker with a disability it is harder for the request to be refused.

It sounds as though yours will be ok but it's worth bearing in mind.

Good luck
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • TheLordFlasheart
    Options
    Today I had a meeting with may manager, and the centre manager has agreed the reduction in my hours.

So from 1st Feb I'll be starting at 9:30am instead of 8:30am. Does not sound like much, but it will mean an extra hour or so in bed, which I hope will be a help if I have a sleepless night (which happen FAR too often this winter).

Will keep you all updated on how it goes.

Alastair
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Options
    Good news
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich