Hi everyone

Wonderland13
Wonderland13 Member Posts: 2
edited 7. Jan 2017, 04:11 in Say Hello Archive
Hello, I was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis around 24 months ago I was 36 years old at the time with a baby. I'm struggling as the arthritis is everywhere. Including my jaw and throat which is swollen making it difficult to swallow and harder to breathe. My medication was causing panic attacks and anxiety so my GP told me to half it. As a result my arthritis is worse. I haven't seen anyone at the hospital since April as they keep cancelling my appointments. I'm scared the swelling in my throat could get worse.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Wonderland13
    Welcome to the forum,its great you have found us and hope you enjoy all the forums, Chit Chat is our most popular and LWA. you will find everyone helpful and sympathetic to your needs.
    All the best Christine :)
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Hello Wonderland13 and welcome to the forum.

Unfortunately it's not uncommon for RA to come after a baby. I already had mine but it flared badly after both my sons were born.

I'm so sorry you are having difficulty with the meds as your RA sounds quite aggressive if it's in your jaw and throat at this early stage. How many DMARDS have you tried? Just because you have problems with one does not mean you will with others. I'm on methotrexate and hydroxychloroquine and they do a good job of keeping mine in check but often people have to try several before they find the 'right' one for them.

I'm afraid all rheumatology departments are very busy these days. Are they aware of your problems? When were you originally supposed to see your rheumatologist again? Have you tried contacting your rheumatology helpline? They can give advice and maybe bring your next appointment forward if necessary. Presumably they will have all your blood test results so they'll be up to date.

I understand the concern about your throat swelling. I have throat problems too but, in my case, it's more 'RA assisted' than just RA.

I think your best bet is the helpline. Please let us know how you get on.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Hello Wonderland

Welcome to the forums from me :)

You poor thing though! I think if I were you I would try to see your own rheumatology nurses/contact them for advice. Do you have a number for them? I was given a card on my first appointment and although I have only needed to ring once know exactly where it is.

I have had terrible bouts of jaw pain resulting in my mouth becoming 'stuck' so can sympathise with you. It seems wrong to leave you without help and keep postponing your consultations like this.

In your shoes I would be contacting the rheumatology helpline ASAP or my GP.

Best of luck and please do let us know how you get on.

Toni xx