Hello from me

Gibbo00773
Gibbo00773 Member Posts: 4
edited 12. Jan 2017, 08:35 in Say Hello Archive
Hi all, I'm Nick from North Wales. Here for help/advice as recently diagnosed with severe osteoarthritis

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Nick,
    welcome to the forums, sorry to hear you have been diagnosed with osteoarthritis, where have you got it? We have a very good booklet about osteoarthritis here is a link to it https://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/do-i-have-arthritis/publications/223-living-with-osteoarthritis
    Please feel free to ask as many questions as you like. Most people post in the "Living with arthritis forum" as this is the most frequently used so you might like to ask any further questions in there now you have said hello. Our members are a wonderful lot and very knowledgeable and supportive I am sure they will be here shorly to support you
    Best Wishes
    Sharon
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hello, it's nice to meet you and I am sorry you have had to find us. I have OA in a number of useful places, mine was diagnosed back in 2011 when I was 52 and I 'manage' it with gentle exercise, pain relief and breaking tasks down into manageable chunks. I am fortunate in that I am now retired so no longer have to deal with the pressures of employment. A little more detail about yourself will help us to understand better how we might be able to help - how are you affected and what has your GP suggested? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Gibbo00773
    Hey
    Thanks for thgthge replies, always a bit nervous coming onto forums, especially a personal one.
    I'm 43 and have OA in both my knees, had issues with my knees for a few years, but docs always said it was ligament damaged, and to strengthen up my muscle to support my knees.until just before Xmas doing some shopping ( the only time of the year its acceptable for a man to go shopping :), ) after 2 hours my knees were like balloons, went to the docs and for xrays, and hence the diagnoses of OA only last week.
    I have an appointment again today to have fluid taken out and talk about my treatment!
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    Hello Nick
    Good to hear from you even if as DD says, sorry you had to find us - the club no-one wants to join as we often say!
    I share your trepidation about joining a forum but I have to say that joining this one was probably the best thing I could have done. OA is one of those 'GP will manage' conditions, and the quality of such input can be variable(putting it politely!), generally amounting to 'keep taking the pain killers', unless you do something interesting like your knees have done.
    I have widespread OA which came on quickly to join in the party that is severe osteoporosis, scoliosis, and fibromyalgia. Being able to let off steam here when things get a bit too much, and getting support and encouragement has been invaluable.
    The Living with Arthritis and ChitChat boards are the busy ones, the former for help with the medical and grot bit, the latter for light relief - and examples of how these conditions can lead to a more 'interesting' way of viewing the world on occasion!
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I understand the nerves, it is a big step to take. I was amazed when I found the forum; I was feeling very alone with my struggles, because none of my peers were dealing with anything like I was facing, so to find here was wonderful: suddenly there were people who knew what I was going through. I've never looked back.

I have another kind of arthritis (psoriatic arthritis, PsA, an auto-immune kind) which has led to the OA, so at least I know where mine has come from. It affects both ankles, both knees, both hips and now my left shoulder (I broke my upper left humerus in January 2014 so no wonder it's moved in).

I have had fluid removed a number of times but not in a GP's surgery because my inflammation was caused by the PsA, so it was done in rheumatology. (GPs deal with OA, rheumatologists with the other kinds). After the aspiration (the removal of the fluid) I was always injected with a steroid and advised to rest in bed for 48 hours. I don't know if this will happen for you but I am thinking about you and I hope it helps; please let us know how you get on. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Gibbo00773
    Thanks for all your support guys its much appreciated :)

It was an uncomfortable experience to have the fluid removed, but on the plus side they injected an anesthetic as well so at the moment I'm pain free :)

Next step is another appointment on Monday, but it looks like I'm going to have to reduce my hours at work as currently I'm working 10-12 hours shift on my feet. Concerned about my financial situtatiin now as well as my health!

But knowing you guys are out there is going to be a massive help with me and my partner.

Thank you!!
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    Hi Nick,
    glad it went OK and that you are now pain free, that has to be worth it! 12 hours is a long shift, and must be very tiring. You might find it useful to look at our large section on the website about working with arthritis here is a link https://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/living-with-arthritis/working-with-arthritis
    It is worth having a good look through so you can be clear what your rights are. Hope you have a pain free time for a while ahead and let us know how Monday goes
    Best Wishes
    Sharon