Returned

lindamay
lindamay Member Posts: 118
Hi there
I am now back in the land of the living. I had my hip op on Saturday and went home on Monday. The hospital and staff were wonderful and really looked after me well. I had a full annaesthetic and it took me a while to recover after with quite a bit of nausea but they bombarded me with various drug and here I am, hobbling on my crutches but onwards and upwards. Trying to stick to the excercises and gradually get more mobile. So relieved. Next stop London Marathon? :)
Thanks for your support and advice.
Linda

Comments

• helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,464
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Linda,
    Glad to hear that all's gone well. Very best wishes as you heal and get stronger.
    Here's a useful document on surgical recovery https://www.rcseng.ac.uk/patient-care/recovering-from-surgery/total-hip-replacement/
    Kind regards
    Guy
  • lindamay
    Hello there.
    I am now 5 weeks after my hip operation and until this morning I felt I was doing well and on the road to recovery. I woke about 6am with cramp in my calf. I tried to get up slowly but felt very muzzy headed. I lay down again a while then tried again. I do not remember much else. The next thing I know was hearing my husband shouting my name. I was on the floor in the bathroom. He couldn't lift me but I managed to shuffle on the floor back to the bedroom. With his help I got back into bed. My head hurt but my hip didn't. He gave me some paracetamol with a biscuit and my head eased. Later I managed back to using the walking frame to sit on the settee and I ve remained here all day. My hip started to hurt round my groin area not from the scar. I was worried if I had damaged it. He tried ringing the hospital at K Lynn but just got the answer phone. It has now eased off a lot so I don't think I have done any serious damage, maybe just bruised it. But I am now frightened if I get cramp in the night again. I used to get it pre op but not while taking tablets for the 1st 4 wks after to stop blood clotting. These are now finished and it seems I am back to the cramp. Any ideas how to stop this please? Someone suggested tonic water but I don't like the taste. Any other ideas please. Sorry its a bit long winded letter. Linda
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Hi there, lindamay. As you know I'm not a member of the Helplines team but, if I were you, I'd get this checked out. Hips are fairly resilient. I fell of a chair soon after getting home with one of mine and it was fine. But I think the cramp and dizziness should be checked. It will probably be more of the same if you've had cramp previously but the only time I've got up dizzy was on two separate occasions when I had a virus. Your new hip cold do without that. Just to be on the safe side I'd see the doc tomorrow if possible - definitatly if the same thing happens again. I hope it's just a blip but better safe than sorry.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • lindamay
    Thank you for your reply. I am due for an appointment with the consultant in the next week or two and a final x-ray, so I will ask him. I feel a lot better today, except for a stiff neck and twinges. But its good to share problems. Hope you are doing ok.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    I'd be more worried about that scary dizzy spell which took you a while to get over. I hope you can take some advice before you see the consultant.

((()))

Toni xxx
  • lindamay
    Thank you for your concern. Its just difficult to get to see a doctor normally and even worse this time of year. Hopefully my appointment with the consultant will be through this next week. Apart from bruising I think I am ok now.
  • helpline_team
    Hi lindamay,

Sorry to hear about your fainting episode and your fall. I'm afraid it's not the kind of enquiry that we'd be able to help with - you'd need medical advice and we are not medically qualified. I hope your GP has seen you and given you some support. I totally appreciate that this must have given you a scare and hope you are feeling better now.

I'm so pleased that Online community members were here so promptly - thank you.

kind regards

Guy
  • lindamay
    I received a call from the hospital this morning and they have made me another appointment for the 17th this month for more physio and to see the consultant. I will tell him then. I rested up for a couple of days and have been ok since. Thank you for all concerned.
  • lindamay
    :sun: I have been for physio this morning (now 7 weeks since op) and they were pleased with my progress. They suggested wearing very flat shoes around the house to help strengthen muscles in my legs and help balance but apart from that all is well. I also saw my consultant and he is happy too. Said he doesn't think I will need a replacement in my other hip for a long while. I don't have a problem with it so I am happy too. I see him again in 6 months for (hopefullhttp://arthritiscareforum.org.uk/posting.php?mode=edit&f=21&p=625279#y) a final x-ray. Today is a feel good smiley day!!!!
  • helpline_team
    Dear Linda,

I'm glad that your self-management is paying off.

best wishes

Guy