Blue Badge rage

Airwave!
Airwave! Member Posts: 2,458
edited 18. Jan 2017, 14:53 in Community Chit-chat archive
Everywhere I go the BB spaces are used by others not entitled to, Supermarkets, Halfords, BnQ, local school to name just a few. Our local town is better but not perfect and is overcrowded with holiday makers cars who don't read signs.

Halfords told me that the spaces are theirs and they will use them how they see fit, despite complaining to various supermarkets they don't take any notice, the swimming pool yesterday said they would put some signs out but no action was taken.

The act of parliament that brought the law into place is not fulling its place in law.

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I understand and share your frustrations, Airwave. In my driving days, many a time I had to return home without what I'd come for as I lacked the extra ooompht to park far away from the store and still shop.

I'm not sure what the law is on BB parking provision but, with more and more cars competing for spaces, I can understand (though not approve) stores being unwilling to censure customers for parking in BB slots without a badge. All they want is the custom. Money talks.

Road parking, and that in municipal car parks, is another matter and can be enforced.

Unfortunately, I think a single complaint rarely works. Follow-up is required. You could try writing to the manager of the store and adding 'Copy to (Your Local newspaper)' If you still have a local newspaper. They don't like bad publicity.

I was pleased to see that the wheelchair user who couldn't get on a bus because a woman refused to move her pushchair from the wheelchair area finally got some backing from the Supreme Court. Two years it took him!
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    If you have a local accessibility group it might be worth contacting them, perhaps with a view to a newspaper article to highlight the problem? As Sticky says there is a difference in enforceability depending on where the allocated bays are, but there's no harm in drawing attention to the issues and appealing to people's better natures regarding the ones on private land.
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,458
    I have talked to a few of the motorists who use the BB spaces, I get anything from a rude reply to a laugh but they all ignore me, everyone has their own agenda, there is no such thing as caring or responsibility anymore, if it makes their life easier they will do it.

I have spoken to staff at shops and if they can promise you something without doing it then they're happy to get rid if you. I am not unused to talking to people having spent my working life in contact with the public.

The problem lays with the law (the big stick) and it needs upgrading.