Ongoing pain

TheLordFlasheart
TheLordFlasheart Member Posts: 302
edited 25. Jan 2017, 09:14 in Living with Arthritis archive
Sorry to sound like a broken record, but I need a good moan due to having 2 crappy weeks with my OA.

Its been constantly active (not so painful, just there) and to be honest its been making me feel low and generally worn out. My worst day was last wednesday when I got hardly any sleep due a bad flare up, which forced me off sick from work for the day (this lead to another back to work meeting, discussion about so many days of yadda yadda....).

As things stand, its still active and I actually broke down in tears when at my parents, not my greates moment, but they have been really supportive.

Thanks for listening again.
"Stoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast"

Comments

• daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Alastair
    Sorry to hear things have been getting on top of you. Constant pain is very wearing, and coupled with work difficulties, I'm not surprised you're feeling down. I would also imagine that the emotional impact of your situation is difficult - as a young man it's not easy to come to terms with something that you wouldn't have expected to have to deal with for decades yet, if at all,so worry about what lies ahead must add to the stress.
    That's good your parents were there for you. We all need to be able to drop the brave face and coping mode occasionally, whether that be virtually on this forum or with family/friends. With luck having reached that low point you can now move, if not upwards at least sideways rather than further down.
    'Onwards and sideways' as DD says, since 'onwards and upwards' is often more a fantasy than a realistic goal!
  • TheLordFlasheart
    Hi Daffy,

It has been hard at times dealing with OA, and as you said been a young man with decades of this is not easy.

My family have been my rock throughout, my OA has actually made me a lot closer and I feel I can be more open to them when things get really bad.
    Onwards and sideways' as DD says, since 'onwards and upwards' is often more a fantasy than a realistic goal!

I'll keep that quote in mind.
  • Sars4185
    Sars4185 Member Posts: 34
    Hi,
    Sorry to hear your in pain . I have OA in my knee and I understand when you have flare ups it's disabables you . Are you on top of your pain meds ? I posted a few weeks ago about my pain , I had some good ideas on how to cope with it . One that I have tried is distraction which helps . It is good that you have your parents to help .
    We are all here for you.
    Sara
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Hi,
    I'm sorry to hear about your pain .......nothing gets you down as much as pain. {and lack of sleep}
    I do find distraction helps. I've just come in after a meal out celebrating my daughters birthday. There were 8 of us there, I hardly noticed the pain until I had to get up to go to the ladies.
    I was very sore and stiff. We were at the last course of the meal and I hadn't noticed it until then. When I camr back I could not get settled. So that was a form of distraction which worked

What sort of distraction do you have.......hobbies or some sort?
    Its worth trying it.
    Sorry I didn't say my pain is after at knee replacement and now my other knee is very sore as well.

Let us know if you find anything to help. What about relaxation? that's another thing I try but not often enough :oops: It does work with me

Love
    Hileena
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    It's good that your family are helpful but also true that, in many ways, it's harder for a young bloke. Women are 'allowed' to be more emotional than men.

It might not be for life though. Joints can be replaced and, if you 'only' have it in replaceable ones, you might find things improve.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • TheLordFlasheart
    Thanks again for all the replies, really does help.

Sara Yes, im on top of my medication. I use an ibuprofen based gel (prescription) to help with the inflamation and use twice a day, and also take co-codamol when I need.

Hileena I read (a lot!) and listen to music, this is my main means of distraction, but last week even that was not enough to distract me. Also seeing my two nieces helps to distract. not realy tried relaxation, as im normally worn out when I get back from work, but will try and spend 10 minutes of so after work if the pain/inflamation gets too bad.

Sticky Thats so true, been emotional as a bloke is often seen as a weakness, but like I said my parents are very understanding (which is a massive help)
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    My husband did a good thing and brought me a few DVD's for Christmas of films he knew I would like. That took my mind off the pain for a while. And since my operation I have recorded a lot of programmes I could watch to keep my mind off the pain. Also if you have 'sky' you could look at some box sets they do. I have got in to a few box sets I didn't think I would like.
    Another think my OH brought me for Christmas that is a good distraction which I haven't started yet is a 3D Jigsaw. Which now I'm starting to get on my feet I think we will be tackling soon.

Also I noticed you said you have been reading, We do have a Book Club that maybe of interest to you, you can find it on the Chit Chat section. You are more than welcome to join us. Take a look!
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    not realy tried relaxation, as im normally worn out when I get back from work, but will try and spend 10 minutes of so after work if the pain/inflamation gets too bad.
    There are lots of different methods of relaxation(and meditation which some also find helpful) so it might be worth doing a bit of research into what resonates with you. I used to struggle with the breathing exercises at yoga because I tend to breathe slowly and deeply anyway and found that I couldn't get into synch with the teacher. Being talked through the letting go of the muscles in the body I found was more useful and was reinforced by later Alexander technique teaching.
    Forms of 'mindfulness' can be helpful - rather than trying to impose something you work with what's happening - letting thoughts or distractions occur but in passing so to speak, observing rather than reacting or trying to stop them. The key thing is to find something that you can do easily so that it gets done when needed, rather than when you can find time/quiet/less pain!
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Pain is the bane of our lives, there is no point in hoping it will go away for good because it won't (until one is blessed with a new joint) and the rest of your body is at it should be. I am positive it is worse for those who have only one or two joints affected, dredging my memory that makes it all the more acute because the contrast between the hurty joint and the rest is sharper. I empathise, these are not easy times for you. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    You moan away it will do you good to get things out..I think we all understand the bad days..they are wearing and take it our of you, especially when you are working, I count myself lucky to be retired..I do hope you get some good days very soon ..I am sure you will ...or maybe ask to be referred to a pain clinic to have your meds assessed..
    Love
    Barbara
  • TheLordFlasheart
    Thanks again all for the replies, it really does help me get through the bad days/when im feeling drained.

Dreamdaisy I've come to realise (slowly) that this pain will not go away, and I need to find best ways to manage it the best I can (even though it can be hard).

Barbara Its not easy working AND having arthritits, but some good news is my request to reduce my hours has been agreed, so thats a positive.
    I am hoping for some good days, all this wet/cold weather does not help (and having the aircon at work blasting cold air on my knee DOES NOT help).
    At my next (and last) hydrotherapy session, I will ask if they can refer me onto a pain clinic.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    The pain clinc is not just about meds, they can refer you for acupuncture, injections...and a few other things depending on the clinic..I'm so glad to hear you can manage to reduce your hours..let us know how you get on..
    Love
    Barbara
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Thats so true, been emotional as a bloke is often seen as a
    weakness, but like I said my parents are very understanding (which is a massive help)

Maybe blokes see it as a weakness. I think we women rather like blokes who are in touch with their emotions. There's a very slight gap between 'strong' and 'hard'.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright