Hello from a newly diagnosed hipster

elllen1
elllen1 Member Posts: 2
edited 3. Feb 2017, 14:10 in Say Hello Archive
Hi,

I have just returned from an appointment with my orthopaedic surgeon for the results of an MRA on my hip. I wasn't expecting a diagnosis of arthritis, it has knocked me for 6.

At the moment I feel like life as I knew it is over (drama queen) I am 46 and have gone from a pain free keen cyclist to barely able to walk in the matter of 10 months.

I was so shocked at the appointment I didn't really ask any questions, I was just told that I was going to be scheduled for a steroid injection to see if that will control my pain.

I am going to read through the forum for tips and please forgive me if I ask all sorts of stupid questions .

Thank you for reading
Ellen

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    hi ellen1 Welcome to the forum browse and enjoy talking to people, all are generous with their time and give good advice,no question is stupid and you are not a drama queen its all been a shock to you and everyone understands that.
    All the best Christine :D
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    Hi Ellen and welcome to the forum, although I'm sorry you had to find us, as we say.
    I can sympathise with your dismay at the rapid change in your circumstances due to OA. I am older than you so OA not such an unusual diagnosis but I too have had rapid onset(although the focus of mine in terms of pain etc is 'small joints' - hands feet and spine). I don't know about you but the 'wear and tear' tag that you so often see attached to OA doesn't make much sense when you go from being, as you say pain-free and active to compromised in a matter of months.
    It's a lot to take in but you'll find lots of useful information on the Living with Arthritis board and forum members are incredibly supportive - can't make it go away but hopefully help you get to grips with it all. See you around.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Ellen, you are not being a drama queen. This must have come as a big shock if you have been used to good health and a healthy lifestyle. We old hands have had years to get used to arthritis. I expect we sound a bit blase about it at times but just ignore us :wink:

Please ask any questions that come to mind. I'm sure they will not be stupid. Indeed, if they are about things that are worrying you it would be stupid not to ask. Be gentle with yourself. Give yourself time to come to terms with everything.

Steroid jabs are brilliant for some people at some times. There's no saying whether or not they will work for you or, indeed for how long. Rarely more than a couple of months. I hope this one does. It will give you time to adjust but remember we're here for you anyway.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Jaxx
    Jaxx Member Posts: 6
    Hello Ellen,

So sorry to hear about hip pain. It is not easy living with this condition.

I too was shocked when I was diagnosed even tho I was 58 at the time. I am now 60 and have recently had the steroid jab. Unfortunately it did not work for me - I had been warned beforehand by the surgeon that it might not work. I am upset about this as I had really been hoping I would be pain-free for a few months - but it only lasted about a week. I have to see the consultant again in 3 months.

Good luck I hope the jab works for you.
  • TheLordFlasheart
    TheLordFlasheart Member Posts: 302
    Hello Ellen,

when I was diagnosed with OA in my left knee, it came as a massive shock, as at the time i was 33 (im 35 now), and it was a bombshell to be diagnosed with arthritis, so I can sympathise with how you feel now.

Since I been on this forum, I have found out lots of helpful tips how to live with arthrits, and more cruicially it is place where you can have a good moan when things are bad, and not be judged.

Hope the steroid injection helps.
    "Stoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast"