Funny injuries that aren't funny

Starburst
Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
edited 27. Jan 2017, 08:14 in Community Chit-chat archive
I'm clumsy and I want to hear your funny stories to cheer me up. It's not that I think we should laugh at each other's misfortune but a problem shared is a problem halved.

In the last few months....

Lying in bed, watching a video and holding iPad above my face. O dropped it and had a serious (very serious!) chin graze. I rated this as more serious than a stubbed toe but less serious than a paper cut. I'd like to say that I learned from this but I did it again last night which prompted this post.

A few weeks ago, it was raining and I had my coat hood up. It covered my eyes a bit. I opened my car door in a rush to get in. I opened my car door into my face. I'm 99.9% certain that I cracked my nose again (!) but they said it wasn't worth xraying as it wasn't dislocated.

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Some injuries are very painful (like yours) when they happen to us but highly amusing when they merely( :wink: ) happen to others. This is why, when a batsman gets a superfast ball in his unmentionables he rolls round in agony while all his teammates guffaw their sympathy :lol:

I still maintain that I broke my hip turning over in bed. I don't know how or why. I didn't have osteoporosis in it and I hadn't even had much arthritis in it. It just bears out my old Mum's belief of staying out of bed if you were ill. "They die in bed." was her argument.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    Let's face it, sometimes fings is just out to get ya.
    Years ago I went through a phase of garden fork/head interactions when working on my allotment. Either I would stick the fork in the ground and then, when it was sure I was in no position to move out the way smartish, it would fall over and clonk me one on the back or side of the head, alternatively as I went to bend over it would lean sideways just enough to make contact with my forehead as I went down. Getting my eyes tested(in case astigmatism and shortsight changes were affecting my spatial judgement) didn't make any difference and eventually it just stopped happening - when I started using a different fork....
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Oh daffy I have had many an accident..the one that caused the most laughs , many years ago..not from me may I add..was slipping on the ice feet flew in the air and my shoes were in someones garden..it was my niece that burst out laughing..I have forgiven her... :lol:
    Love
    Barbara
  • TheLordFlasheart
    TheLordFlasheart Member Posts: 302
    Been of a tall stature (6' 2"), im often cracking my head on low doorways. I duck when going through them, but at times im oblivious how low one is and end up hitting it.

Another one happened at work today, licking an envelope whilst trying to talk to a colleague at the same time, and ended up cutting my tongue (not by much, but really hurts!).
    "Stoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast"
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    I remember when my daughter gave herself a black eye from a kitchen cupboard. The thing was it really was black! It looked just as though she had been using facepaint or had got in a mess with black eyeshadow!
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • Kitty
    Kitty Member Posts: 3,583
    We've lived in our house for over 30 years now ( and it don't seem a day too long). No singing Kathleen. :wink: So you would think I would know how low to bend to reach stuff kept below the stairs. I know I've shrunk somewhat due to Osteoporosis over the past several months, but recently I've given my noddle a nasty bump as I've reached down for various items. :o No, I won't tell you what we keep under there. :P OH never seems to bump his noddle and he's a good 10 inches taller than me now.

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." Robert A Heinlein

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    I've already related on LWA how, when we moved into our new home in October, I kept on trying to head a wall cupboard.

I've cured myself by chanting, automatically, whenever I go near it "Mind you head. Mind your head. Mind your head."

The other morning I was near it and expecting a phone call so the chant became. "Mind your head. Mind your head. Even if the phone rings. Mind your head."

The phone rang but it worked :D
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright