GP VISIT!!

hileena111
hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
edited 4. Feb 2017, 11:42 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi,
I think I have said that my other leg {un-operated one} is very sore. Its been getting very bad, I'm not driving, cant walk much at all.
I couldn't get my own GP until next week so saw another one this morning.
Very basically she told me to go away and come back in about 6 weeks and see Dr Eagen {my GP}......I tried to stress how sore it was and I had had my 6 week post op visit {with a registrar} Who said no X Rays were done any longer after operations. {I had X Rays after both THR's}
She stood up, said come back in about 6 weeks and see your own doctor. I got up and she could see I was almost in tears so she said sorry I don't feel well today {didn't sound sorry} I said before going out....Neither do I, I don't feel well which is why I came to see you

Sorry thanks for letting me rant.......I had to get that because I'm so sore and so angry

Love
Hileena

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Oh dear! That's two disappointing appointments in quick succession, isn't it? I'm sorry you're feeling so upset, Hileena.

I wonder what you were hoping for from this appointment. I guess you must be worried that your other knee seems to be deteriorating quickly but, even if it is, a GP would be unlikely to ask for an x-ray that an orthopaedic man had just deemed unnecessary. And I'm fairly sure you said previously that you were on strong pain relief so the doc would be unlikely to prescribe more. You've just seen the surgeon who seemed happy with the progress of your TKR and the physio who presumably sorted out your uncertainty about doing the exercises. Where does the GP go from there? Especially when she is also feeling rough herself.

In such a situation, once I'd got over the initial disappointment, my view is always to control whatever I can control and forget about the rest. In this case, I'd tell myself I can't get an x-ray for at least 6 weeks and I can't get more pain relief so forget about them. All I can do to improve things are the exercises, on both legs. These would be my priority. I did them right up to having my knee revision and excited the docs by being able to do a straight leg raise the day after. Pain? You bet!

I think you'll have to convalesce a bit longer. Rest and exercise and then let Peter spoil you. Keep your energy for the good things. Housework isn't good :wink:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • hileena111
    Hi Sticky

I was hoping that she might advise an X Ray. I don't want any more painkillers, don't get me wrong. I'm on enough.
    What scares me is that my consultant that saw me before the TKR said the results of tests he had got back were fine but I didn't feel fine so he sent me for an X Ray and when I got back to his room he was sitting with his mouth open.. What have you done to that knee, its bone on bone now and the last X Ray was OK. I've never known anyone go down hill so quickly" and he got me in for a replacement very quickly.
    Because of that history I wonder is this one going the same way?
    I only saw the consultant 3 weeks post op and it was for something else and he just got me to bend my knee and was very pleased with it. For my 6 week one it was a registrar I saw.

The physio is very pleased with my progress in fact discharged me this morning. She did say about chasing up the consultant or my own GP who know my history and know how quickly things happened.

I'm scared that its history repeating itself and I should be seen quickly. The speed which the consultant got me in for that operation was really fast. If he tells me I don't need a 2nd replacement I'll accept that or that I do but it doesn't need to be at the same speed as the last one I'll accept that and if he says I don't need one.......fantastic I'll just keep working on my ice and exercises on both legs

Hileena
  • stickywicket
    It's great news that the physio has discharged you. You must be doing that right.

As for the other leg - well, one has only to read others' posts on here to learn that bone-on-bone doesn't seem to mean much in terms of access to new joints. I'm pretty sure both DD's knees have been bone-on-bone for years and I seem to remember tchakev and Megrose are also in the club.

My first hip just shattered spontaneously (They think maybe I'd had a cyst on it which had burst and taken the joint with it) so it was bone-on-many-bones :lol: but that was well over 20 years ago and the THR is still brilliant.

The pain, of course, is a beast but I don't think, in terms of the replacement joints, it makes a difference to the outcome.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    It is frustrating isn't it? You've had one fixed, and obviously would like action taken on the second (who wouldn't?) There's a lot going on with you with the recent operation, the scoliosis and the greater trochanter trouble and, after all, there is only so much GPs can do and / or offer and rarely does it seem enough.

You have been doing all the right thing, keep up with the post-op exercises, I hope you are now able to do more of them every day because this will help you gain the best range of movement from your shiny new joint. An acquaintance of mine talked her way into a new knee then didn't exercise it because it hurt. She's now worse off than she was before, what a stupid woman she has been and I find that very exasperating when there are so many who desperately need a new joint and are being denied (like me :wink::lol: ) DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • hileena111
    Hi Sticky
    I remember DD's knee and her want a replacement ...It does seem a long time ago.
    It's the pain that is really driving me up the walls. We all know about pain and how it drags you down. I know doctors etc can only do so much and then we have to self manage but once again when I think back to that visit with him when the results of tests were perfect and the X Ray hadn't been that long ago....if he hadn't decided to send me for another X Ray I dread to think what would have happened. I would still be walking round in agony with bone on bone. Anyway we'll see how it goes over the next week or so.
    Hileena
  • hileena111
    Hi DD,I remember the time you were wanting a knee replacement done. How long ago was that? Seems a long time. :shock:
    Like I said to Sticky I know there is only so much a GP can do and then I should be self managing. I've tried everything. Today hasn't been too bad......sore but not the agony it was.
    Anyway you have plenty going on as well. I don't know how you cope sometimes.
    What a silly woman that is. Not doing exercises because it wasn't sore. Got to admit this past week when it has been sore I haven't done as much as I should :oops:
    Any sign of you getting a new one?

Love
    Hileena
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I think it was four or five years ago and of course other joints have deteriorated in that time thanks to the extra stress being placed upon them. It's a case of mind over matter: yes, I mind but that doesn't matter. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • hileena111
    Hi DD
    That is so true, other joints going.

I got a weird text this morning. It was from the surgery. Don't know from who.....could have been the GP I saw who was not particularly pleasant or it could have been from my own GP??
    It just said
    "I have referred you back to Mr Assad"
    that's my consultant. It could be from anyone its just signed with the medical group name.
    Oh well I'll eventually find out :lol:
    Hileena
  • hileena111
    Hi
    The latest on this storey is that I got a telephone call from the receptionist at the surgery. She said my GP wanted me to make an appointment to come and see her.
    That is unheard off :shock:
    The receptionist said there was something written on the bottom of the note about swelling in my leg?????
    Has she eventually read the letter from the registrar who advised her to put me on water tablets or something similar. I got the copy letter a good few days ago.
    Or is it something to do with the text that came through a week ago saying "I have referred you back to Mr Assad"?
    Oh well.....I'll find out on Wednesday. Got n appointment for the afternoon.

Love
    Hileena
  • stickywicket
    All the best for Wed. I hope the mystery will be solved.
    Steven Wright
  • hileena111
    Hi,
    Got another puzzle :roll:
    A letter arrived this morning......NHS Orthopaedic dept. an appointment for 2nd March with Mr Partington??????

Never heard of him. I don't think he's the registrar that saw me although I cant remember his name. At the last appointment I had with him he told me to make a follow up appointment at the reception desk.
    On the way out I made an appointment with Mr Assad for the 3rd March then today I receive this letter for an appointment 2nd March, Mr Partington????? Of course it would happen at the weekend. I'll have to wait until Monday before I find out now. :roll:

Hileena