Total knee replacement

Options
Nettysteel
Nettysteel Member Posts: 5
edited 29. Jan 2017, 16:44 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi All

I had my LEFT TKR op 9 days ago and all seems to going well with the knee. The pain is manageable during he day with pain relief, ice and elevation but find nights difficult as can only lie on my back with operated leg straight. Tried a very small cushion under my knee which seems to help slightly although the I'm sure Physio don't recommend.
I've tried laying soft pillows on the inside of my unoperated knee while lying on my side placing operated knee on top of cushions but due to severe bruising on the whole leg this is not comfortable.
Anybody got any tips for sleeping? Lying with leg straight out gets painful after a while.
Also when I do get up during night and place my foot on floo the pain in my calf, ankle and general lower leg area is excruciating. Tried to explain this to GP but all I can describe is like a thousand hot needles piercing my leg. I assume it's related to a he flow of blood getting back into the lower leg. Also my lower leg is extremely swollen and can hardly get those TED stockings on due to this. It is very badly bruised round ankle and calf so can only assume the surgical procedure has caused this.
Otherwise I'm doing ok and due to get staples out for his week -ouch!!
My right knee was done in 2013 and has been very successful so hoping once swelling dies down my left knee should be the same success- fingers crossed.

Comments

• hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi
    How often do you take the TEDS off?
    Your comment about hardly being able to get them on made me think you were taking them on and off constantly?
    9 days isn't very long. {as you will know from your previous TKR} I'm `10 week weeks post op and sleep at night but waken up feeling as if I haven't slept not at all refreshed.
    I cant get settled no matter which side I try
    Sorry that's not much help
    Good luck
    I'm sure it will settle

Love
    Hileena
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    Options
    Apologies in advance for this not being a proper, comprehensive reply but we have guests and time is at a premium.

As a veteran of two TKRs and a revision, PLEASE don't put any pillow or cushion umder your knee. If you do, the leg will never straighten properly. I know it's painful not to but toughing it out now will save you later problems.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Nettysteel
    Nettysteel Member Posts: 5
    Options
    Hi Hilleena
    The Ted stockings initially were on day and night and only changed each morning after showering. However after discussing with my doc and the ward nurses they said I don't necessarily have to wear them in bed as I'm quite mobile now. Also due to another medical condition I'm on clobidogral. Also taking 14 days of anti coagulant injections.
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi
    It shows the difference in different hospital. I was mobile but still had to wear them day and night and was injecting myself as well. Oh well good luck.
    That's great because after another TKR you know what they are like :roll: I have had 2 THR's and had to wear them. This is only the first TKR {hopefully the last } :lol:

Love
    Hileena
  • Helenbothknees
    Helenbothknees Member Posts: 487
    Options
    I never wore the stockings at all. After 24 hours my toes started turning blue, and it was decided that since I was already starting to be quite mobile, they were probably doing more harm than good. They were taken off, and never mentioned again. And I second sticky's comment; do not put a pillow under your knee. Sleep on your back if you have to, and things will get better soon.