Support please tomorrow x

nearlybionic
nearlybionic Member Posts: 1,899
edited 9. Feb 2017, 02:43 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi
I am have big day tomorrow. I am seeing Occ Health and my boss tomorrow to discuss my return to work , for this week I think, after my spinal surgery.
I am really nervous as I am not pain free from my back, and my legs/hips are not good. I have been seeing my GP about my shoulder, elbows and hands which have been painful and stiff. He wants to do bloods, but I want to wait. I can`t cope with new investigations right now.
I feel this is my last try at going back to work. I have had lots of adaptations in the past and still find things difficult/painful at work.
So If anyone is free at 9am and again at 2pm for support I will be very grateful.
I am having physio and strengthening work in the pool and am working hard to get as good as I can.
I see my hip surgeon in 2 weeks and then my neuro in June.
Thanks
NB

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    You're doing all the right things to help yourself and I hope that today goes well: please let us know how you get on. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Sorry I couldn't be there at 9am, NB, but I'll be with you at 2pm. Good luck.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Rach101
    Rach101 Member Posts: 165
    Hi NB, thinking of you today and really hope it goes well and you're able to return to work xx
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Hoping all has gone well today. xxx
  • nearlybionic
    Morning!
    Thank you to all that were there for me yesterday, it is much appreciated.
    My Occ health appointment was difficult for me, and I did get a little upset with her questioning of whether I am up to returning to my role. Because I am still having pain she thought if I wait a couple of weeks that may have changed. I wish! No, I explained that a week or 2 would not make much difference apart from knocking my confidence in myself further. She picked up on my anxiety with it all and the pending changes and job losses coming up at work. This is one of the reasons I want to go back to show I am wanting to work. She will write a report and send it to my manager. But of course I had to see her before the report. I had taken notes from the morning`s meeting and told the points to be recommended to the manager. I know I have played down my symptoms a little , but I am wary of giving them ammunition for me being an easy target for the job changes etc.
    So I am going back from tomorrow on a phased return. I told her about my upcoming physio and consultants appointments and as I a have a lot of holiday to take I will use this to attend my appointments. I am re referring myself back to Access to Work as it has been almost 10 years since I had my initial assessment.
    I will also be having a work station assessment as my needs have changed since the previous one. There are a few things that I need to get confirmed with regards to equipment I need and that my manager wants me to prove that I need.
    So 3 short days this week and then increasing bit by bit over the next 4 weeks. Wish me luck! I feel In may need it.
    Thanks again
    NB
  • LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    Good luck! I shall be thinking of you xx
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • Rach101
    Rach101 Member Posts: 165
    Good luck NB, I really hope it goes well and you get all the support you need xx
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Hi Nearly

I hope it's going well for you sending some strength and ((()))

If it helps I also went back on a phased reintroduction after my back op. I had to as I was a single parent two kids 5 and 8 at the time.

I was definitely in pain at the end of each working day (or part), but my theory was; if it was no worse than usual by the following morning I would carry on.

Love

Toni xxx
  • nearlybionic
    Hi Toni
    I have done 3 part days this week. I have felt my back being more painful and had to up my painkillers in the day. And I feel tired but not exhausted. I have enjoyed feeling useful again :lol: As being at home whilst everyone else is working has made me feel bad, as like you we need the money to support our kids.
    The work will get harder s so far I have been just office based and my role fully involves a lot of driving, bending /lifting and use of equipment. I have a work place assessment next week and Access to Work the following week.
    Thanks for your message x
    NB
  • TheLordFlasheart
    TheLordFlasheart Member Posts: 302
    Hi Nearly,

Hope all is going well with your return to work, and the workplace assesment has a positive outcome.

I myself have had a Occupation Health referral at my office, and thats led me to have a workstation assesment which lead me to getting a varidesk (may have seen my post about it). Also since this Wednesday, I had to reduce my hours due to like yourself feeling tired out when I get home and a painful knee, plus the fatigue I often get at times.

Hope all goes well, and keep us updated.
    "Stoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast"
  • Sars4185
    Sars4185 Member Posts: 34
    Hi NB
    Hope all is going well with you at work . Thinking of you
    Sara
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hello NB so sorry I am late seeing this..
    I really do admire you, like you say there isn't always a choice..its rotten when you have to wrry about work on top of everything..but I hope they can come up with lots of help for you..you must be shattered ..so I hope the weekend has been nice and restful...good luck with everything x
    Love
    Barbara
  • nearlybionic
    Hi
    Thanks Lordflasheart- I already have an electric rise and fall desk from my previous ATW, so I can stand or sit at my desk as needed. There are some great inventions that can aid us . Your desk looks good too. Have you permanently reduced your hours?

Saqra- Thanks for your message. I am doing ok but my hours were longer today so am feeling it tonight.

Barbara- Thank you for your support, you have been so kind keeping in touch by text and here . It means a lot xx I had a nice weekend, quiet and restful.

New week- hours increased slightly over 3 days still. I have my first assessment on Wednesday from our H& S team to do a work station assessment. My ATW is next week. I am hoping to get access to a laptop again after this to allow some work from home.
    I am off to see my hip consultant on Thursday. My left one ( oldest one and the one which has dislocated twice ) is giving me pain I certain movements, which is not usual. I hope to have an xray so can ask what he thinks.

Thanks again
    NB
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Hope all goes well and good luck with your return to work. I now just work three days a week but those days are always the worst for pain etc but I just try to focus on getting through each hour at a time andwhen I get in I'm straight into bed for a rest! It's worth it though.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hello NB
    You are very welcome you help me loads when having my first THR..so glad they are offering help at work, I think its the least they can do ..and I hope you get that laptop again not much to ask..good luck at the hospital I hope they can help...mine is around March ...its soon come around 1 year... :shock: xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Hi NB
    Sorry I'm so late seeing this.
    Hope everything is going well with work. I'm sure it is
    I'm thinking of you and praying for you

Love
    Hileena