Rheumatoid nodules

scattered
scattered Member Posts: 326
edited 29. Jun 2017, 06:31 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hey everyone,

I'm having a small flare at the moment. It began yesterday. All appeared so far, so normal, until a red, pea sized lump came up on the middle knuckle of my middle finger this afternoon. There definitely wasn't a lump there last night!

I have nodules on feet (big toe joints) but they took a long time to develop fully. This lump on my finger has literally just appeared. Do nodules come up that quickly sometimes? Can you get rid of them again?

10 years in and I'm still learning about the things RA can do!

Thanks,
Scat

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Aren't we all, scattered? Still learning, that is :)

I've had nodules arrive as quickly as that. In fact, my latest one did. That was also on a finger but near the base joint. I wasn't sure what it was at first as it's so long since I've had a new one. It's now migrated sideways to the next knuckle where it seems to have booked in for a long stay.

I think they are a sign of a flare. I hope yours doesn't last but, if it does, maybe a meds' tweak will be required.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • bighair
    bighair Member Posts: 14
    My fingers are covered with Rheumatoid Nodules, some are the size of marbles and I also have small ball bearing sized nodules growing on top of the marble sized ones. My 2 index fingers no longer bend because of them. I had one surgically removed a few years ago but it had grown back bigger than ever and surgeon not keen to operate again because of risk of skin breaking down. I don't agree because my fingers don't bend so no pressure on the skin. I'd rather not take Hydroxychloroquine as a mean to reduce them as research not conclusive. Has anyone had successful removal or decent reduction in size of nodules from surgery or medication?
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    I think you're right that they don't like to do surgery on them but not just because of the impact on the skin. I believe they also tend to return.

Occasionally steroids are injected in them to try to shrink them.

However, DMARDS (apart from methotrexate) are considered the most effective way of reducing them. Why not try hydroxy? It's a very mild DMARD. I've taken it for years.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright