Surgery confirmed for 30th

GraceB
GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
edited 3. Feb 2017, 14:12 in Living with Arthritis archive
Well as you can guess from the subject title, I'll be off line for a few days.

Saw the consultant tonight and my left TKR goes ahead on Monday (30th). He's said he'll only replace the kneecap if it's completely knackered. I have to be at the hospital for 7am on Monday, there's just one other patient and myself on his list for Monday so it'll be done during the morning. I'll be told on the day whether I'm number 1 or 2 on the list, but regardless he said by 12noon it'll be done.

I asked about a sick note for work. The hospital will give me that. I was asked what I did and when I explained I'm on the second floor of the office, my consultant said I could be off 8-12 weeks (I was expecting 6)! :o I usually go up and down in the lift, but of course if there's a fire alarm or drill, I have to be able to get down one flight of stairs without becoming a health & safety hazard to everyone else in the building.

My freezers are full with pre-cooked meals, portions of soup and various portions of pre-cooked food. My food cupboards are full up and I've stocked up on household stuff and cat food. (Must make sure "Madam" doesn't go hungry!).

I've been steadily working my way through my huge list of 'must get done before my op jobs' and I just need to now get my bed changed Sunday, clean the bathroom and hoover through. After the plumber has been tomorrow to fix my leaking shower and dripping kitchen taps. Typical isn't it?

My neighbour Dee who is cat feeding for me has my spare keys and instructions. My immediate neighbour Maureen (and Dee) are both on stand-by for picking me up on Wednesday when I'm discharged.

I managed to get 2 post-op nurse appointments at my surgery sorted today. One for a dressing change/wound check a week after the op (which I like to do just in case); and then at 14 days so I can have the clips out. That's a double appointment and one I'm not looking forward to as when I had clips out of my right knee in 2009 after that was partly replaced it hurt like beggary.

Take care everyone. As Arnie Schwarzenegger said in his film "I will be back"!

GraceB
Turn a negative into a positive!

Comments

• hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Grace,
    Good Luck for Monday 30th. I'll be thinking about you.
    Fantastic that he only has 2 on his list that day. :D
    Hear you when you get back and feel up to coming back online again

Love
    Hileena
  • Helenbothknees
    Helenbothknees Member Posts: 487
    Good luck. You might be fine to go back to work after 6 weeks; see what happens....
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    I know you already have far too much experience of coping alone after big ops, Grace, but your preparations are second to none and you so deserve this to work well.

I'm afraid I can't be in attendance as I have my first Scottish rheumatology appointment at 9am and I'm just concentrating on not forgetting that as we have friends up for a long weekend. However, you will have my very best wishes and hopes in your pocket and I'll be around for the 'after-support'. ((( )))
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • TheLordFlasheart
    TheLordFlasheart Member Posts: 302
    Bes of luck with the op and recover. Reading your post sounds like you are very prepared for all this.

Im hopefully a long way off from a TKR, but when I need one im sure to ask for everyones advice.
    "Stoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast"
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Will be in your pocket on the 30th Grace..hope all goes well and wishing you a good recovery x
    Love
    Barbara
  • GraceB
    Many thanks everyone.

Unfortunately my friend who was originally going to be staying with me for a couple of nights now can't do so. She can, however, come to me during the days so that'll help. I intend to leave my spare set of keys with my neighbour who is cat feeding for me whilst I'm in hospital. That way if I get stuck I can give her a call. (I always have either my mobile or house phone in my pocket - just in case). My local NHS hospital told me they'd discharge me to home at "Day 3" and they knew I'm on my own.

I've got everything done apart from my bed which will be sorted tomorrow. Then I need to check my bag has everything in it and get couple bits out ready for when I come back on Wednesday.

I appreciate the offers of pocket duties for both the day of the op and when I'm home. I intend to make full use of all the help and support I can get! Thank you again.

GraceB
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Good luck Grace will be thinking of you. Mig
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    Hi Grace,

Perfect preparations! Well done!

We will have one of us in your pocket each day to keep you company and help out, good luck for the op

Yvonne x
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    You've done all you can do, now it's the surgeon's turn! I will be thinking of you and wish you very well. ((((( ))))) DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • nearlybionic
    nearlybionic Member Posts: 1,899
    Hi Grace
    Good luck for tomorrow, I will be thinking of you.x
    You sound like you have been very organised which is good. I hope that everything goes smoothly x
    NB
  • GraceB
    Thank you ladies. Wanted to have a last "look in" before I get my laptop out of sight in a drawer.

I've got a data allowance on my phone so will have a quick peep on the site whilst I'm at the hospital, but won't be able to post until I get home. So I'll "see" you all on Wednesday!

Take care everyone.

GraceB
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    Gentle hugs Grace.
    With you foryour op.
    Best wishes
    ChrisK
  • dreamdaisy
    I'm thinking of you. ((( ))) DD
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Me too ((( )))
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Sending hugs ((((( ))))). xx
  • tupney
    tupney Member Posts: 28
    :animal_busy: I hope everything went well, and that you will soon be up and about dancing(?!?) around singing 'everything is great', yes well, maybe not that energetic, but keep going, I will be thinking of you.
    Tupney. :)
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Just dropped by to send positive thoughts and gentle hugs. (((( ))))

Deb x
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Hope alls gone according to plan.
  • dreamdaisy
    Hello, how's things? I hope all is going as smoothly as possible.
    ((( ))) DD
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Hi Grace

Just popping by to see how you are doing. Knowing you pretty well, but sending some ((())) anyway

Love

Toni xxx
  • dreamdaisy
    No change at this end, still thinking of you! DD
  • TheLordFlasheart
    TheLordFlasheart Member Posts: 302
    Hi Grace,

Hope all has gone well, hope your recovery goes smoothly.
    "Stoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast"