Hi I'm a newbie!

Options
Jaxx
Jaxx Member Posts: 6
edited 3. Feb 2017, 14:03 in Say Hello Archive
Hello everyone,

I'm new to this and just wanted to introduce myself. :)

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi jaxx
    Welcome to the forum,it would be good if you told us what type of Arthritis you have and your story on how you are so far.Everyone is supportive and informative as they are all going through some type of Arthritis.
    Christine :D
  • Jaxx
    Options
    Hello folks, I am so glad I come across this forum as I feel so isolated with my pain.

I was diagnosed with hip arthritis in Oct 2015 at the age of 58. From then until recently I've been managing quite well with my pain killers. I have however reduced the amount of hours I work from 20 - 16 as I work in a fast paced trade counter/warehouse and am now unable to climb ladders at work.

On 4th Jan I went into hospital to have a steroid jab into the hip under controlled ex-ray. I had been hoping to be pain-free for a while but was warned that it may not work. It does not appear to have worked.

Also a couple of weeks ago I bought a new bed as my old one was nearly 19 years old! It was a bit strange for a few nights and then I felt great. However this last week I've been in a great deal of pain. Not only in my bad hip but also now down my leg and into my knee (same side). I feel like a cripple especially first thing in the morning.

I don't know whether it's the new bed, the effects of the jab or my condition getting worse. It could maybe be a combination of all three! If anyone has any advice they could offer I would be most grateful! Thank you. Jaxx
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    Options
    Hi jaxx
    Thank you for telling us your story we all have one to tell I myself have osteoarthritis had 2 knees replaced and am waiting for a hip replacement, so know what you are going through. Everyone here is friendly and will give you sound advice.
    All the best just choose a forum and chat away,LWA and Chit Chat are our busiest.
    Take care Christine :sun:
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    Options
    Oh Jaxx I'm so sorry the steroid jab didn't help. We invest so much hope in these things but steroids are always a bit hit and miss. Even when they've worked for someone once there's no guarantee they'll do so again. I'd be surprised if it had actually made things worse, though.

It's a same the bed doesn't seem to be helping either. I really don't know why things are suddenly worse but sometimes it just happens. Have you tried physio? You could ask your GP to refer you. Sometimes, when a joint hurts, we walk awkwardly and that makes others hurt. Do you save some pain relief for night time? That can help too.

One thing is for sure. We understand where you're coming from. You are not alone so please don't think you are.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Jaxx
    Options
    Hi again, Yes I've been to physio a few times and after they discharged me they referred me to our local leisure centre where I was enrolled on a 20 week gym programme. This was last year but I'm thinking I should go back to the gym although at the moment I'm in too much pain to do the exercises I was doing last year.

I'm going to start swimming again though because I know that will help. Also aqua aerobics which I've not done for years, will be good too. The doctor told me today it could just be a flare-up. As for the bed! We have a 40 night comfort guarantee with it so we're going to give it another week and if I don't feel any easier we'll see about changing the mattress.

Thank you all for your replies. It really means a lot and has cheered me up!
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    Options
    Perhaps your bed's doing too good a job! If you are now sleeping better and not moving around so much, especially if you end up lying on the bad hip that may not be helping, ironically.
    I have been sleeping much better recently(for no apparent reason) and do find I am much stiffer in the morning now that I don't wake up and have to move around to get settled again. Swings and roundabouts in that I do feel much better in myself for the sleep, but it takes a bit longer to get going in the morning some days.
    Some of us find that having a bit extra padding on top of the mattress can help - either a proper 'topper' or a duvet(folded if extra thickness needed).
  • Jaxx
    Options
    Hi Daffy,

Yes I think you may be right. I have been sleeping longer since we got the new bed! It has quite a thick and fluffy topper too, which I think is just as well as without it I think I'd find the mattress a bit too firm.

We also use hot water bottles.

Tonight I'm going to take a couple of pain killers before I go to bed and see if that makes me any easier in the morning.

Thanks, Jaxx :sun:
  • TheLordFlasheart
    TheLordFlasheart Member Posts: 302
    Options
    Hi Jaxx,

First of all welcome to the forums from myself. I suffer from OA in my left knee, and im only 35, had it for going on 9 years (only diagnosed in 2014, and before never knew I had OA), and yes it can be hard, but in finding this forum I have found great supprt, where you can talk about your arthritis, and have a good moan when it gets bad.

I too had a steriod injection back in August, and I was lucky for it to last 4 months, which is really good going. Im sorry it didn't work for you, but as other have said, steroid injections can vary from person to person.

All the best.

Alastair
    "Stoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast"